Slow Server

boxman

Can you tell me why your server response is so slow? I suspect that it has something to do with the ???new and improved??? system. I don??™t believe it is a problem on my end because I don??™t have a speed problem with other sites. I thought it was probably just the transition phase and things would get better but they are getting worse instead of better.

I can only go by what I see and except for every day around 5PM, for some reason, and occasional code problems that come up it runs pretty well for me. Yes, I wish it was faster but we are running what we can afford to run with 527 paying members at $1 a month. For awhile we were able to run some bigger, better servers but then everyone began blocking all of the pop-up ads (yes, I hate them, too, but they are the ones advertisers will pay a decent rate for) and so we are trying some different methods. Believe me, we will do what we can.

I can only go by what I see and except for every day around 5PM, for some reason, and occasional code problems that come up it runs pretty well for me. Yes, I wish it was faster but we are running what we can afford to run with 527 paying members at $1 a month. For awhile we were able to run some bigger, better servers but then everyone began blocking all of the pop-up ads (yes, I hate them, too, but they are the ones advertisers will pay a decent rate for) and so we are trying some different methods. Believe me, we will do what we can.

I appreciate the straight-forward response and understand the situation better now. Thank you.

We did a quick cost analysis today and here is what we think, although it is a little hard for me to explain:

(1) peak time Friday night is what we have to set up the site to serve. The servers we need to handle the Friday night traffic with no delay would be around $2000 a month. We can't afford that right now.

(2) in contrast, the servers we used in the past were real fast during the week but could not handle the Friday traffic and served site outage messages, etc, as you may remember, especially when members starting hitting refresh over 1,000 times per minute.

(3) So, we are now using numerous virtual servers (please don't ask me to explain how they work) on Friday nights and can turn on more and more of them in order to handle that Friday night traffic. Most of you realize that Friday nights are when site performance is most important.

(4) During the week we turn those virtual servers off so that we don't go broke but do turn some back on when the site starts to lag. As time goes on we will be able to fine-tune this process and improve performance. Also, once we get everything working perfectly and need to make only rare changes then we can turn the site caches on and off and improve speed considerably. That is what we are currently working toward.

I appreciate the straight-forward response and understand the situation better now. Thank you.

Try this for me:

Go to your Start menu and click Run. Type cmd in the box and hit enter. Then type ping master.coacht.com (put the space after ping) and see what the ms rate is. Mine is currently 71ms.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this for me:

Go to your Start menu and click Run. Type cmd in the box and hit enter. Then type ping master.coacht.com (put the space after ping) and see what the ms rate is. Mine is currently 71ms.

Hey i did the cmd run thing it came out with : 49ms (is that good? bad?)

Also i always get this message : "can't cast empty string to a number value"... and it blocks out everything, in this huge orange and yellow box, on the home page except the navigation and the top article. Other than that all the articles, big ones, and photos aren't able to be accessed.

Thanks for the help!

Hey i did the cmd run thing it came out with : 49ms (is that good? bad?)

Also i always get this message : "can't cast empty string to a number value"... and it blocks out everything, in this huge orange and yellow box, on the home page except the navigation and the top article. Other than that all the articles, big ones, and photos aren't able to be accessed.

Thanks for the help!

49ms is excellent.

Still getting that message? If so, copy and email it to me at coacht@coacht.com