DICKSON COUNTY DID DOMINATE

SOFTBALLCHCK

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, dominate? Did you see any of those games? They lost the first game 3-0 and then in the second it took 6 unearned runs to win. If it weren't for Maryville beating themselves then the score would have been 4-2 in favor of the Lady Rebels and not your "dominating" Cougars. I give them credit, they are a great team and played good softball, but they did not dominate by any means.

Guest BraveUlysses

see, i must disagree. dickson did dominate the second game. five runs in the first inning(off the 'star pitcher,' nonetheless) is domination. you can say that maryville made a bunch of mistakes and killed themselves, but dickson did the same thing on friday night. so that argument really doesn't work that well. fact is dickson won and deserved it.

Guest Seniors02

i am laughin my butt off at MaryvilleLadyRebels.... Dickson Co wanted it more they were better and they didnt have obnoxious fans that booed the other team.... Maryville that showed how much class you all have and you're team was NO GOOD.... Dickson Co just had their minds on other things the night before... Dickson Co DESERVED to win therefore im glad they did...

Good teams take advantage of their opponent's weaknesses. Other teams can whine all they want, but the bottom line is they finished behind Dickson. Dickson had a great season and for anyone to question thier accomplishments or thier level of play is doing them an injustice. Forty two wins and only five loses; that is the best record in the state. To win the state AAA, they beat the teams they needed to beat. Again, that is the bottom line. Give them credit. No one even mentioned them in the beginning of the year. Only after the Hendersonville tournament did they start receiving attention. Look back at the early posts from the "Softball Experts" on Coach T and you will find no consideration given to Dickson in the preseason. Columbia, Soddy, Maryville, Coffee County, Collierville, to name just a few, were all mentioned; but no Dickson. It is a credit to their hard work, determination, and desire, that they are the best team in "AAA."

Did they dominate every game? No they didn't. However, they had a dominating season and, without any questions, they proved it on softball fields all across the state from Henry County to Chattanooga. THEY ARE WINNERS AND THEY EARNED IT!

Congratulations to all Dickson County players, coaches, parents, and fans. What a season!

I was at the championship game and made a fool out of myself yelling FOR the Maryville Lady Rebels. I never heard anyone around me "booing"the other team. As a matter of fact, myself and others congratulated the winners. But we're not all saints, and booing will happen. Just be happy with the win!! Congratulations, again, Lady Cougars.

Dickson County had all the right pieces of the puzzle to be the state champs. I saw talent, effort, desire and a team spirit second to none.

Talent wise, this team was skilled from corner to corner with players that have played summer ball their whole careers. They have been on summer teams that have won some good tournaments and have come in second or third at lots of others. You have to give credit where it's do.

The pitcher, Erin Haggard, put top performances on every summer and played as much as anyone could to get better. Erin may not be the TOP "K" pitcher in the state but she can get a lot of "K's" and most importantly get the right K or "OUT" when she needs it. That's being smart and playing within yourself. Top teams seemed to be picked consistently in this sport by the "K" count of the pitcher. Nobody ever considers how smart a pitcher has to be in tough situations. When it's late in ball games and the pitcher has been seen a few times by the lineup, Erin doesn't think it's all about her. She'll put the ball where it won't get punished and allow her teammates to get the tough out. She's smart enough to know that her teammates are there to back her up. To me, that's the consummate team player. Most top pitchers want to be the hero late in the game and will make mistakes by throwing for a K and giving a meatball because their speed has slowed. Erin lets the team help her and doesn't make that mental mistake. It's called playing as a team and nobody showcased that more than Dickson County.

As far as Effort, when you played Dickson County, you saw nothing less than all out play. When someone on the team made a great play, it would be followed by several more from other players. When an error occurred, you never saw the long faces or shrugged shoulders of defeat. I saw encouragement by teammates and mental toughness second to none.

Now comes Desire. What better to fuel a fire than "no respect"? This ingredient alone has fueled more players and teams throughout sports than all other ingredients combined. Take a team for granted that has desire, talent and mix that with "no respect", and you have all the ingredients of a team out to prove everyone wrong. It took the work of the coaching staff playing that card at the proper times for the big wins. While everyone else was having their "K" counts and rivalry wins, Dickson County was methodically dismembering every team in the state when they needed it.

TEAM. It's a beautiful word in every aspect of life. Family, friends, coworkers and teammates can use it to kill the "Goliaths" of their domains. Dickson County discovered it and honed that single most important skill and used it with preciseness. Someday, others might follow but for now, Dickson County gets my salute for their selfless efforts and sacrifices made to put the team first before their egos.

Say what you want and brag about your shortstop or pitcher. It comes down to the BEST NINE on the field. Dickson County had it this year. God Bless you for what you have shown the masses, a love and respect for each other.

Quote of the Day!

"A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

--- Walter Gagehot

[Edited by ERA on 5/27/02 8:42A]

[Edited by ERA on 5/27/02 12:36P]

I HAVE SOME THING TO SAY TO ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO GET ON HERE AND START STUFF DICKSON CO AND MARYVILLE BOTH SHOW GREAT SPORTSMANSHIP AT THE GAME WHEN THE GIRLS FROM DC GRADUATED THEY STAYED AND THEN SHOOK THERE HAND AFTER MARYVILLE WAS A VERY GOOD TEAM AND IT WAS A WELL FOUGHT BATTLE BOTH TEAMS DESERVED TO BE THERE AND ON THAT GIVEN DAY DICKSON WAS BETTER BUT THE NIGHT BEFORE MARYVILLE WAS SO IT JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW THE GAME IS AND WHY THESE GIRLS PLAY THERE HEART OUT FOR IT CONGRATS TO BOTH TEAMS AND LOOK AT IT THIS WAY BOTH TEAMS BEAT THE TEAM THAT WAS SUPOSE TO WIN IT ALL GOOD JOG

[Edited by SOFTBALLCHCK on 5/27/02 10:59A]

Guest BraveUlysses

ok, i feel as though i must say something more. 'fek' is a great softball player. it was never my intention to dis her abilities. i do think she is a much better hitter than a pitcher. her hit to leftfield was amazing and i was sure that it was in the bleachers out there.

i also do not agree with people who are saying that maryville was no good. maryville had a great team, or else they wouldn't have made it into the state tournament, much less the finals.

as for the obnoxious fan comment from someone; there were only two or three of them, and they were teenage boys. they were calling out our girls by number and yelling rude comments at them. i understand that they are not a reflection of all of the maryville fans.

the main intent of my post was to make it clear that dickson deserved and earned everything. they worked hard, played hard, and won. good job lady cougars!

God bless