MBA vs Ensworth High

whoisjeff

I hope you don't mind me butting in. MBA by 14 over Ensworth and BA by 4 over MBA. I haven't felt any better about a pick, since I took Oklahoma over Boise State last season.

I hope I did not use up all of my prognosticating magic in one night. I would love to go 2 for 2 on my picks.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta like the caption on the front page of the sports section this morning...

I liked McGugin's game plan. The long drives rushing the ball kept EHS from using their wepons on offense.

I agree with FlyBy that I the holes were the several times and the MBA backs missed them. Ensworth did a good job of closing the gaps and strecthing plays horizontally. Hate to see Waddey go down. I think he is the best downhill runner MBA has after Crum, and he does a good job of keeping his head up as well. I did think MBA would do a little better up front on both sides of the ball. EHS had some open receivers on several plays, but couldn't connect.

EHS seems to be a two or three pony show. I was impressed with their backs, but I thought Seward and Gordon were better.

Liked Ricky's golf shoes.

Ben played a great game. I wonder if we could line him up at tailback with a lead blocker in front of him?

Hope MBA can get Wise and Bailey ready for next week. It looked like Waddey is done with the brace they had on him.

EHS will win some more games this year.

GO BIG RED!

Great game. Packed stadium with two very similar teams. It was a dogfight throughout the game, but MBA controlled the tempo and should of scored more than they did, but were plagued by injuries, like always, that made them stay one dimensional.

I was impressed with Jefferson and his speed, but i just down think hes not as good as he was hyped to be. Orleans was shut down in this game and had little to no factor. Ballard was 2-9 for 20 yards with an interception and wasn't all too impressive for a senior. On the MBA side, EJ was kept quiet for most of the game, until he broke one for a 50 yd TD. Waddey was running hard and down hill going into the 2nd quarter, until he went down with a knee injury. Perhaps the player of the game was Tennessee commit Bartholomew who showed a great combination of power and speed to break the EHS defense continuously. EHS's defense did a good job all night of clogging the holes as best they could, only MBA's defense just did it better. It was a fantastic game, and this will be definitely become a great rivalry b/t these two schools.

INJURIES IN THE GAME: MBA Starting QB(Wise) hurt his calf and limped all night, Tennessee commit (Bailey) did not play-knee, Running back (Waddey) went down in the 2nd quarter with a knee injury. EHS Starting running Jefferson went down in the 4th-not sure of the injury, Cornerback Blake Crozier was shaken up after being hit hard by Vinsang in the 4th, Defensive lineman Jackson went down in the 4th also.

Hard fought game, two good teams. MBA is bigger, deeper and older and deserved to win. I picked MBA by 28-14 so I guess I look OK on the margin, but I thought they'd have more long drives and score more-- Ensworth's defense was a positive surprise for me, although they wore down in Q4 as I worried they might. Ensworth looked very tight on offense and really hurt themselves with some drive killing penalties and mistakes such as the bad snap in Q2. Passing game was just out of kilter, some missed receivers and some drops. Also. though, MBA had a very good scheme and executed well--- great pursuit, stringing Tavarres out and not letting him turn the corner very often. Ensworth had some opportunities, but failed to take advantage. MBA's offense is one dimensional, as someone said, but its a heck of a dimension,big strong, talented offensive line, good backs--- very solid ball control offense that just dictates the game. And obviously it will be better when Bailey returns. I didn't see much drop off between MBA's two QBs-- solid, don't make mistakes, but neither is much of a passing threat. Bartholomew was the best player on the field. Very, very impressive. Went both ways the whole night and had a lot left in Q4-- basically took the game over and ran out the clock on his own. Outstanding lateral speed-- sideline to sideline on defense--- if MBA doesn't have him, Tavarres is gone a couple of times. Great punter. Obviously an inspirational leader. I was a big fan of his brother Will--- I think this kid is better--- especially on defense. No question in my mind he deserves an SEC scholarship. #44 for MBA is also very good-- a couple of big play saving stops that he had to cover a lot of ground to make. I hope Waddey is not out for the year-- that would be a big loss for MBA-- he is a very good back-- great balance, deceptive speed, smart runner. Actually, thinking about MBA if they had Waddey, Crum, Vinsang and Bartholomew, running behind Bailey, is a little scary--- My guess is that BA is thanking their lucky stars that they're not staring down the barrel of all that firepower.

All in--- a good game, between two good teams. The better team won. The other team had some chances to pull an upset, but failed to take advantage-- some of that was their doing, some was good plays by the other guys. I hope some of the kids posting on this thread (mbadude stands out in my mind, but there some Ensworth kids as well) will now see how silly they sounded--- arrogance and disrespect for your opponents are just bad ideas--- taking care of business on the field, and keeping your mouth shut will serve you much better in sports and in life.

This is going to be a good rivalry. MBA should win more than they lose-- they've got twice as many boys, after all. But there are some good football game to look forward to--- THe current Ensworth team is very young-- the playmakers for MBA last night will mostly be gone next year. Jefferson, Darkwa, Grigsby, Davis, Cooper, Anderson, etc, etc all return for Ensworth. Should be another game worth watching next year.

MBA has been pretty run heavy all year, but I think the one dimensional gameplan last night was more out of strategy than necessity. The MBA qbs can make the throws they're asked to make: 15 yard outs and hot patters, but I think chewing up the clock and wearing down an atheltic EHS team were the goal of the run oriented offense last night.

MBA has been pretty run heavy all year, but I think the one dimensional gameplan last night was more out of strategy than necessity. The MBA qbs can make the throws they're asked to make: 15 yard outs and hot patters, but I think chewing up the clock and wearing down an atheltic EHS team were the goal of the run oriented offense last night.

Maybe so---- going with what's working is usually a good strategy. My observation was based on the fact that most of the passes they attempted (admittedly not many) were pretty badly overthrown--- nice velocity, tight spiral, just about 3 feet too high. Not a big deal if you can chew up the clock on the ground Woody Hayes style--- and the only team they've got left that has a prayer of keeping them from doing that is BA.

You're right about last night. Probably not the best passing performance of the year. I don't think you'll see MBA beating anyone with long passes or 20 pass attempts per game, but Dan has done a good job structuring the passing offense around his qbs abilities. Wise has had a very high completion percentage most of the year because he will only throw 10 or so passes and they're usually pretty short. Usually just enough to keep the opposing defense from keying entirely on the run. MBA has a couple of good threats at wr and the te has been impressive on some receptions. I think the fact the the #2 qb was taking a lot of snaps last night against some very athletic corners eliminated some of the passing playbook. It's no secret though, MBA is gonna run it right at you for most the game.

Regarding the injury to Waddey...once again I have to wonder if the turf was a factor. How many guys have we seen get serious knee injuries on that field? I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I wish they still had natural grass over there.

Again, great effort by both teams. I could see this rivalry becoming bigger than MBA-Ryan and MBA- BA. Ensworth certainly returns a lot next year. Looking forward to it. Roll Red!

Regarding the injury to Waddey...once again I have to wonder if the turf was a factor. How many guys have we seen get serious knee injuries on that field? I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I wish they still had natural grass over there.

Again, great effort by both teams. I could see this rivalry becoming bigger than MBA-Ryan and MBA- BA. Ensworth certainly returns a lot next year. Looking forward to it. Roll Red!

Going back to '73, I can't think of any team that has had the injury problems that the last two MBA teams have had, either in terms of numbers, or severity. And in the earlier part of that period, MBA was usually very undersized as well.

This doesn't change the fact MBA has 15 gay people and 8 satanic people at their school.

Why the random comment with random numbers? It means nothing that MBA has a gay person, or that Enworth (geez, I really hate to bring this up, and I cannot be held liable for by next statement becasue the person has not been convicted or anything... well, you get the point) has a supposed child rapist on campus. You can't bring in the student body during a football game discussion board post. Please don't comment furthur on the whole rape issue, because it just isn't worth it.

Why the random comment with random numbers? It means nothing that MBA has a gay person, or that Enworth (geez, I really hate to bring this up, and I cannot be held liable for by next statement becasue the person has not been convicted or anything... well, you get the point) has a supposed child rapist on campus. You can't bring in the student body during a football game discussion board post. Please don't comment furthur on the whole rape issue, because it just isn't worth it.

You have absolutely no right to comment on that. You don't know anything going on in that poor guy's life, and it doesn't concern you anyway. That is totally inappropriate and uncalled for and you should delete that comment if you have any decency as a person.