Volleyball fans

porkchop007

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the mommas at our place that are rowdy...but I LOVE 'EM! All are beautiful and they don't talk ugly. They're just LOUD!

Go Lady Cat Mommas! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I love Greebrier and all their fans and parents.....the only problem that I have with Greenbrier is the "flashing lights into the receiving teams eyes" I have heard that this has been a problem. Sportsmanship is key in High School Athletics. If the Flashing bulbs rumor is true I just hope that the officials take care of it.

When I was at the Page tournament I saw a Mt. Juliet dad sit down beside the boys and threaten to break their arms because they were yelling during the girls serving. I would have been right there with him because I agree with him. Somebody should do something about those kids.

Are you kidding me your gonna break their arms for "yelling when the girls are serving"..........you need to chill out! There are no rules against yelling when someone serves. You sit directly behind someone serving and yell as loud as you want, just so long as you are not directing anything negative or personal at that person. I cant believe that you guys are so clueless on how badly this sport needs fan support. Students from the school yelling when the opponents team is serving is not "arm breaking worthy". The nice BOOB and Lesbian Comments certainly are. If I were ever at a gym and heard that I too would be in line to break some arms.

Let the fans be fans....ITS WHAT HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS IS ALL ABOUT PEOPLE

Guidelines for spectators:

1. It can never be personal. In HS, if you say a name or number and say something really off-hand, that's a problem. However, after a shank, if someone yells "Nice hit there, #16!" and you think that's bad, get real.

2. It can't be over-the-top during the serve. You can't be stomping or kicking the bleachers in an effort to distract a server. Yelling in unison is just a bunch of white noise. Especially if done the entire time the server is in process. If someone screams right before contact, you may have a case. Do you really expect a volleyball gym so quiet you can hear a pin drop?

3. No intentional physical contact. Ever.

4. No stepping out on the court and attempting to interfere with play. IMMEDIATE ejection from my court - no questions asked.

5. No artificial noisemakers.

6. And most importantly, CHEER FOR YOUR OWN TEAM first and foremost. Nothing wrong with a little attention for the opponent, but give your efforts to your own team.

Other items to consider:

- If a crowd does it to their own team, you can't complain about them doing it to yours.

- Loud, proud fans are a commodity in short supply in this sport. Appreciate them.

- Be realistic. A serious player/coach can't tell me they can't play or win simply because of a few people in the stands. The best way to make them quiet? Play harder and show them they can't shake you.

Is this license to be nasty and obscene and intervene in the match? Of course not. But use some common sense. If you'd be proud to have them on your side of the court, don't wish them away for the opponent.

Finally, I witnessed the group of male fans in question. While they may unsettle some folks because they're not accustomed to that type of enthusiasm, they were properly behaved most of the time. There were a couple of things that weren't kosher, but those were stopped. I've witnessed more outrageous behavior from groups of parents than a small group of high school students.

Websters New Collegiate

fan n 1. an enthusiastic devotee...usu. as a spectator 2. an ardent admirer or enthusiast

fanatic n marked by excessive enthusiasm.....

So here is my sermon

It is great to cheer your team/players,

it is great to celebrate points/games won,

it is great to applaud good play/effort,

it is super to "let 'em hear ya"

BUT

Doesn't matter if it's legal or not

Doesn't matter if "they" do it or not

Doesn't really matter exactly how...

It is so bush, rude, infantile to affect or attempt to affect the play on the court/field.

This should be a "no tolerance" issue. Otherwise, there will always be an argument as to degree.

If yelling is ok then let's get megaphones,

If megaphones are good, let's try flashbulbs,

Hey how about lasers

Way back in my elementary school days my BBall coaches and Little League coaches taught us SPORTSMANSHIP. Unruly fans and/or parents were invited outside. Players treated umpires/refs with respect. We were proud to be a team and play for our school and did our best to represent smartly.

Today we tolerate all kinds of behavior...from fans, from players, and from kids in general

AND LOOK AT THE MESS WE'VE GOT !!!!

JUST SAY NO!!!!

ok sermon over....have a good day

By the way, I'd rather have 3 nice, polite, supportive fans than a whole baotload of obnoxious jerks!

Was at a tournament last year where the opposing team clapped in unison loudly as the opposing player tried to serve. Ref stopped the conduct after a few times. Figured that was offensive enough warrant intervention.

Have had several refs stop students from stomping during serves.

Last year, it was always fun to watch Sullivan South's pep squad show up with the brooms waiting on the sweep. Didn't particularly like them cheering against our kids, but they were for the most part, a well behaved, loud group of fans.

Ken

I am one of those loud and proud moms that yells for my child and for our team. I have not really seen any fans being particularly rude or obscene during games. We had one instance a couple of weeks ago where we were the visiting team and some of the home teams student body (a bunch of boys) painted our bus with profanity. That was carrying it a little too far in my book, but otherwise as long as there is no profanity or obscence gestures let them chant.

I love Greebrier and all their fans and parents.....the only problem that I have with Greenbrier is the "flashing lights into the receiving teams eyes" I have heard that this has been a problem. Sportsmanship is key in High School Athletics. If the Flashing bulbs rumor is true I just hope that the officials take care of it.

Just to address the light bulb flashes in the face. We have parents, who have senior daughters on the team. It is their last year in high school. The only thing we are guilty of is trying to get pics of these precious times. We didn't realize at any time that it was having an effect on the other team. As soon as it was pointed out to us, the picture taking was stopped. This occured at Brentwood. I know we aren't the only team to use a camera, but it evidently caused temporary blindness /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Sorry folks, sometimes ya learn as ya go, can you say CHHEEEZZEE! Lame