Volleyball fans

porkchop007

Can't disagree more. Sports are sports. Home team advantage is everything you said, plus the fact that you have the advantage of a bigger louder obnoxious crowd.

Wow, cat I think I agree with you again except the judgement rules are not working that some officials try to impose. If noise and partisionship continues at the level it is now, some one , if a rule is not in tact now, is going to have to impose the rule to keep the cheering sections of the schools playing, apart in the arena. Usually the arenas seating are on one side and the cheering sections are merging and in some cases are in too close quarters. Noise is one thing but not possible hand to hand combat. By the way, what happened to SECURITY in athletic events. You would never think VB would get so passionate that the statement like that would be made. I love it but keep the combatants apart.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is the firm and from what school?

Please dont rekindle this!!!!! Just so you know, "the firm" are a bunch of kids you are from Soddy Daisy.....apparently they were raising heck at the Page tourny. This has since caused a 2 weeks argument as to what is good or bad cheering.

To be honest its a dead horse and its been hit by about 106-18-Wheelers

I thought it was time to add my 2 cents, and then maybe it will be over until basketball season starts anyway. I am the coach of Soddy Daisy, and this is my second season there. We are attempting to build a strong, competitive program, and for the first time, actually had fans pay, and come watch. Not only did they pay at home matches, but they paid at the opponents gyms too. Has anyone sold enough cookie dough to pay for referees lately? I like having fans pay, and wish other teams would bring them too. We wouldn't have to sell so much cookie dough.

Our boys borrowed the name "The Firm" from their youth group at church. They very creatively came up with cheers as well. For example, "Tower of Power" was yelled every time one of my Middle Blockers landed a kill. "Rufio, Rufio, Rufiooooooo" was shouted every time my Right side Hitter Killed. "Brick Wall" was loud and clear everytime there was a stuff block. Fortunately our blocking game was much improved, and they got to use that one alot. They sang in order to distract the opponent during time outs, and would frequently make so much noise the opposing team couldn't hear their coach during time outs. When we rotated on the court, they would rotate in the stands. When I would call time out they would huddle and come up with what they were going to do next. Between games, they would go out for a water break and run in yelling and screaming for the next game. They had to learn to cheer for volleyball because other than the mom's and dads, not many students do.

As for the Page tournament, they deny saying anything personal to the girls, and yes they make alot of noise when opponents are serving. When they were told to be quiet, they made the shhhhhh noise. The courts at Page are off set, and the end they were on had 20 feet or so to the baseline. What concerns me most was the way the adults acted, and the man who threatened to break the arm of one of our boys did not attend the second day. I looked for him to discuss the problem he had and the threat he had made. The lady who stood right beside one of my players while she was trying to serve had to be told to move or be removed from the gym. On that side of the court there was maybe 5 or 6 feet to the baseline. Rediculous! The coach even apologized for the way the adults were acting. Oh, and by the way, only 4 of our boys had traveled that far, paid for a motel and paid 2 days entry fee into the tournament. You should hear them at home! Sometimes they are so loud I cant hear either. I think it's great!!

Cleveland has a nice croud too. However they were writing mean things on a dry erase board. Since it wasn't out loud, should that be allowed? We did win that match even though their croud was bigger and they said mean things. It's called mental toughness. This is not golf or tennis, or bowling or chess. Volleyball is a team sport.

Now if you can stand one more thing. After the Page tournament, our team was on their way to dinner with "the firm" when a serious car wreck had occurred in front of them. Two of our parents, one an EMT and one a Nurse were helping with the injured. Our kids got together with some players from Memphis Harding, held hands there in the street, and prayed. They may not be perfect, but I love these kids, and I am one proud coach.

I thought it was time to add my 2 cents,

Good first post coach. Glad to see you have fans even though I do like cookie dough. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

IMHO: (This is directed to sports in general and not directed to any volleyball teams fans - which are the best, of course )

There are at least two cultures in volleyball. There is the old school that 'watched' games just like tennis. It would be rude to distract the opossing team or attempt to influence the game.

There is the 'new fan', that thinks like basketball where you try to distract the player shooting foul shots or the football field that is so load that the players can not hear the quarterback.

Volleyball is probably somewhere in between. I have been in gyms so load that the players (on both teams) can not hear each other call for the ball. I don't think the rule makers and most of the fans want volleyball to be basketball - e.g. artifical noise makers are illegal (and they are moving in that direction in other sports as well).

I think it is great that fans have cheers for blocks, kills, and aces. That is positive cheering and I am all for that.

I, on the other hand think yelling, trying to distract the server and trying to influence the opposing team while the ball is in play or trying to make noise during a time-out is poor sportsmanship and in bad taste.

I can't get 'participant' or 'aid to scoring/winning' anywhere in the definition of 'spectator'. It seems that we have developed in in recent years an idea that team spirt or support is somehow equivalent to obnoxious classless behavior. In response to this trend, newer sports facilities are designed with the fans farther and farther away from the players. I know from a marketing standpoint there is a desire to cater to the base element and sell the 'come out and help us win', but I think the positive support aspect can achieve that as well.

Oh, well, too long of a post and we talk about this ever year at this time. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I hope to see the 'firm' in action one day soon first hand.