Volleyball fans

porkchop007

So I have been to a couple different tournaments and games where I keep seeing/hearing the same annoying kids at some of these tournaments. I'm not sure what school they're from or what team they are cheering for but they're always there doing the same dumb chants. They might be from Soddy-Daisy because I think they wear blue and gold. They also all wear the same shirts that say "THE FIRM" on the front. I saw them at the Page classic and I heard they caused a lot of trouble. I don't know what everyone else thinks about them but I think they need to learn some manners and just shut up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have been to a couple different tournaments and games where I keep seeing/hearing the same annoying kids at some of these tournaments. I'm not sure what school they're from or what team they are cheering for but they're always there doing the same dumb chants. They might be from Soddy-Daisy because I think they wear blue and gold. They also all wear the same shirts that say "THE FIRM" on the front. I saw them at the Page classic and I heard they caused a lot of trouble. I don't know what everyone else thinks about them but I think they need to learn some manners and just shut up.

You know, we've heard the same comments made about some of our fans...we have a great group of boys, classmates of the players, that attend our home games and local matches to cheer the girls on. Unless they are using noisemakers, calling out girls' names or numbers, or making inappropriate (i.e. sexual) comments then leave 'em alone. They chant, cheer and generally have a good time while pumping up the players they came to support.

You wouldn't stop cheering at a football game or basketball game would you?

This is HIGH SCHOOL sports, who better to support the team than HIGH SCHOOL students. This is supposed to be for THEM, not for us. I just think you need to chill and let the boys have their fun, they may be annoying but they are not breaking any rules. Every volleyball team should be so lucky to have loud and loyal fans.

You know, we've heard the same comments made about some of our fans...we have a great group of boys, classmates of the players, that attend our home games and local matches to cheer the girls on. Unless they are using noisemakers, calling out girls' names or numbers, or making inappropriate (i.e. sexual) comments then leave 'em alone. They chant, cheer and generally have a good time while pumping up the players they came to support.

You wouldn't stop cheering at a football game or basketball game would you?

This is HIGH SCHOOL sports, who better to support the team than HIGH SCHOOL students. This is supposed to be for THEM, not for us. I just think you need to chill and let the boys have their fun, they may be annoying but they are not breaking any rules. Every volleyball team should be so lucky to have loud and loyal fans.

Good post. If making noise at the game would be bad then 7AAA, with all of the different cheering sections of each school, would have to stop playing. I don't think they will do that but maybe a diffferent area seating would be a good choice. If it bothers you, you did the right thing in posting. You really wouldn't like the shirtless nations with their numbers of their favorite players written in large numbers on their chests and backs recently seen on a number of schools cheering sections to show their support. I'm afraid I am comparing this to 4 years ago when a lot of the arenas were empty and the noise was deafening. It would even calm down the infamous Pageman, of Rock Star fame, from visiting as many games as he does, with his bright red galouses, causing the crowd reaction or a name from the past, 78 trying to call lines in flip flops. Of course you are liable to see anyone at a VB match, even Frank

Wycheck or the Great Line Judge. VB is a little more exciting now.

I can remember several years back when there were no fans @ volleyball matches, just some/few parents. Yes, I have seen some rude fans here & there, but overall they are there to cheer for their team/school.

Obnoxious fans however give their school & team a bad name & take away from the very girls they think they are supporting.

Get ya some cheese to go w/ that 'whine.' It's probably just rich kids...of attorneys, if they had "The Firm" on their shirts (you sure it didn't say, "Daddy's Firm?"). Better stick with 'club' ball, then. I'm sure it's always quiet and respectful over at the CC v'ball courts. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I have no problem with fans cheering loudly if they are in the stands. At a recent away game, the fans (all boys) were standing along the sidelines, just outside of the out of bounds line for basketball games. They obstructed the view for people in the stands, and our girls said after that they were making offensive comments to them personally, like saying, "hey 14, nice boobs" or "17 is a lesbian". That was across the line to me, but, I didn't actually hear the offensive comments, as I was in the bleachers. They were down on the floor facing the game, only steps away. I think the volleyball coach should have put a stop to it. The "let boys be boys' attitude is why boys do these things and get away with it!

Their tactics didn't work, won won!

As stated earlier;

"Unless they are using noisemakers, calling out girls' names or numbers, or making inappropriate (i.e. sexual) comments then leave 'em alone."

If any of the above occur, the floor captain should approach the official and ask then to intervene. We had the same issue with inappropriate remarks made to our players earlier this year. When he was made aware of it, the official took care of the problem.

Let me just add that if I heard comments like SantaAnna posted...well, Lord be with 'those boys.' 'Cause I ain't gonna allow that kind of talk at any sporting event where one of my children are competing. Naw, I take that back! I ain't gonna allow that kind of talk whether my child is competing or not...and I hear it. No child should endure demeaning or sexual comments...in a gym or in life. I'm an old guy, but I'd go to jail before I'd let that happen without saying something or doing something. High school boys and girls know better.

They obstructed the view for people in the stands, and our girls said after that they were making offensive comments to them personally, like saying, "hey 14, nice boobs" or "17 is a lesbian". That was across the line to me, but, I didn't actually hear the offensive comments, as I was in the bleachers.

According to TSSAA rules, fans cannot call out names or numbers, nor make offensive comments about players. Sideout is correct, your floor captain should approach the official and it WILL be taken care of. We've had a couple of incidents like this at some away games, and the official has always told the captain of the opposing team to tell their coach to get the fans under control -- this includes standing on the sidelines instead of in the stands. One time the boys were on the track above the gym--behind our bench--they were told to move or leave.

A team complained about our fans at a game and our coach told the boys what they could and could not do/say and we haven't had a problem since--they keep on attending and cheering loudly but appropriately.

Let's encourage student fans.

We were at the Page tournament and the boys that you are talking about are from Soddy-Daisy. I am by no means a fan of Soddy Daisy but I'd have to say that the boys weren't out of line. I wish that our team had the same kind of support from the students at school. The teams that were complaining about them were just looking for an excuse as to why they were getting beat by Soddy.

We were at the Page tournament and the boys that you are talking about are from Soddy-Daisy. I am by no means a fan of Soddy Daisy but I'd have to say that the boys weren't out of line. I wish that our team had the same kind of support from the students at school. The teams that were complaining about them were just looking for an excuse as to why they were getting beat by Soddy.

We had THE FIRM experience at East Ridge during the Choo-Choo. Althought loud and Proud, nothing they said was out of line... I was line judging so I was 20 feet away(making bad calls). They were on the steps at ER just behind the bench. Actually our players loved it and got a kick out of it...I agree with 5Sport, if they had made sexually offensive or personal attacks I would have gotten involved... be competitive but don't be personal, is the rule to live by....whatever you do come out and watch these athletes!!!