Volleyball fans

porkchop007

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In principle, if the players can't do it, the crowd can't do it. One of the only offensive behaviors I observed from "The Firm" was stomping on the bleachers AS A GIRL WAS TRYING TO SERVE. THAT is disruptive and over the line. The official on that match put a stop to it and rightfully so.

At the 7AAA match in lebanon Wednesday, I saw something which impressed me so much, this post had to be written. One of the teams had a cheering section at the match which the coach took to an official and the official explained what they could do and where they could sit and cheer and the Cheering section of students complied and there was no other discussion. While it was a lot of trouble for the Coach from Cookeville to go thru this procedure, she did so and it was very orderly. Of course, being orderly in 7AAA is noisy at its best and it is the place to be if you want to watch a match but sometimes there is so much going on, one is seeing waht is going to happen next.

GLJ - I totally disagree with you on this subject. Let kids have fun and go to these games and be heard. It is part of sports and going to high school. I have been to high school volleyball games in other states and they are way more rowdy than they are here in TN and it is a lot of fun. Girls have to learn to have thick skin and deal with it. You are way too overly concerned about fan involvement. I understand not cursing and the importance of overall good sportsmanship. But, when you play sports, there is an advantage to playing at home. It is not because the refs will "homer" the other team. It is because there are more fans than the visiting team and usually louder and sometimes ridiculously obnoxious. So what? Deal with it. Stomping feet on bleachers - artificial noise? No way!

Well, then again, if we go back to the volleyball country club analogy, then maybe we should all start practicing our "soft claps" and whispering during serves. Oh, and maybe we should teach the players to not be so violent on the court when they hit those oh so powerful kills and jump serves. None of this bump set spike stuff. Just bump set bump. And, only underhand serves. Also, instead of teaching the girls to do cheers after nice plays, blocks, aces, etc., they should take a moment to apologize to the other team for making them look bad. That would make the sport nice and clean and wholesome along with all the polite fans. Yeah, that's it!

I entirely agree with you... this is high school people it is supposed to be loud, the louder the better. i played basketball in high school if it wasn't loud then it didnt feel right standing out on the court. yes, sometimes the noise was obnoxious ,but do we really want to treat the players like they are five years old and tell everyone to "please be quiet while they serve" come on let the fans yell and cheer as loud as they want as long as they are sportsman like

Earlier someone stated that the administration should help with these situations...here is actual story that makes that seem humorous..

Earlier this season our AD appeared during an early match...loudly and clearly he stated that he was unaware that we were playing today....he has never been to a match in my 3 years...he was happy he could stop by since the front parking lot was being painted and he had to park in the rear. Since he was cornered by several parents on his walk to his car, he has not returned....

Coaches of all sports don't receive enough support, but "minor sport" coaches certainly wear more hats than many people can imagine.

Guidelines for spectators:

1. It can never be personal. In HS, if you say a name or number and say something really off-hand, that's a problem. However, after a shank, if someone yells "Nice hit there, #16!" and you think that's bad, get real.

2. It can't be over-the-top during the serve. You can't be stomping or kicking the bleachers in an effort to distract a server. Yelling in unison is just a bunch of white noise. Especially if done the entire time the server is in process. If someone screams right before contact, you may have a case.[/u] Do you really expect a volleyball gym so quiet you can hear a pin drop?

3. No intentional physical contact. Ever.

4. No stepping out on the court and attempting to interfere with play. IMMEDIATE ejection from my court - no questions asked.

5. No artificial noisemakers.

6. And most importantly, CHEER FOR YOUR OWN TEAM first and foremost. Nothing wrong with a little attention for the opponent, but give your efforts to your own team.

Other items to consider:

- If a crowd does it to their own team, you can't complain about them doing it to yours.

- Loud, proud fans are a commodity in short supply in this sport. Appreciate them.

- Be realistic. A serious player/coach can't tell me they can't play or win simply because of a few people in the stands. The best way to make them quiet? Play harder and show them they can't shake you.

Is this license to be nasty and obscene and intervene in the match? Of course not. But use some common sense. If you'd be proud to have them on your side of the court, don't wish them away for the opponent.

Finally, I witnessed the group of male fans in question. While they may unsettle some folks because they're not accustomed to that type of enthusiasm, they were properly behaved most of the time. There were a couple of things that weren't kosher, but those were stopped. I've witnessed more outrageous behavior from groups of parents than a small group of high school students.

I was also at the Page tournament. Your comment in 2 above, about someone screaming right before contact, was EXACTLY what "The Firm" was doing. It is also worth mentioning that the ref at the time I saw and heard this happening was the one that is deaf (Tim, I think). He warned the coach to make them stop because our captain told him what they were doing. She walked over and made a comment to the boys "I guess they want to play this like a tennis match so we better be quiet." But the look she gave them said "Make all the noise you want to" because she knew he couldn't hear them continuing. In the next match, at least one of them was made to leave the gym. Our girls are used to noise at a match, but yelling out suddenly right as a serve is being made, is wrong! You wouldn't allow it tennis or golf, so it shouldn't be allowed in volleyball. Continuous noise is one thing, but not this. Show some sportsmanship.

there should be a clearly defined and accceptable limit to behavior weather at a sporting event or anywhere else. When it becomes disruptive and obnoxious, it is time to rein it in. Or should we all just act like fools??

GLJ, I agree with you and where you are coming from. I pulled this quote because I think herein lies the issue.... what is the "clearly defined and acceptable" limit? It's not black and white but very grey. Yes, derogatory remarks are unacceptable period but as far as noise and how it originates that is where the grey comes in. I believe it is a case by case basis, in which many factors have to be considered. Unfortunately, it is truly a judgement call, just like was that a "double" or not??

I was also at the Page tournament. Your comment in 2 above, about someone screaming right before contact, was EXACTLY what "The Firm" was doing. It is also worth mentioning that the ref at the time I saw and heard this happening was the one that is deaf (Tim, I think). He warned the coach to make them stop because our captain told him what they were doing. She walked over and made a comment to the boys "I guess they want to play this like a tennis match so we better be quiet." But the look she gave them said "Make all the noise you want to" because she knew he couldn't hear them continuing. In the next match, at least one of them was made to leave the gym. Our girls are used to noise at a match, but yelling out suddenly right as a serve is being made, is wrong! You wouldn't allow it tennis or golf, so it shouldn't be allowed in volleyball. Continuous noise is one thing, but not this. Show some sportsmanship.

So you shouldn't allow it in volleyball since they don't allow it in tennis or golf. Well that makes sense because volleyball, tennis and golf are so much alike. Why should it be allowed during a free throw at a basketball game or a penalty kick in soccer? It only makes sense if you can't do it at tennis or golf, right?. Also, don't blame the coach on it it's not like she knew the ref was deaf. The Firm was warned not to yell during the serve in that game so they didn't do it anymore. but the line judge who was standing in front of The Firm tried to accuse one of them for saying something during a serve again(which they didn't) so he told the ref about it, who was deaf so he couldn't make a judgment on it so he had to go with what the judge said and throw the kid out. The line judge was a parent from Harding, who Soddy was playing at the time

GLJ, I agree with you and where you are coming from. I pulled this quote because I think herein lies the issue.... what is the "clearly defined and acceptable" limit? It's not black and white but very grey. Yes, derogatory remarks are unacceptable period but as far as noise and how it originates that is where the grey comes in. I believe it is a case by case basis, in which many factors have to be considered. Unfortunately, it is truly a judgement call, just like was that a "double" or not??

All of you just kill me. Everything is acceptable as long as everyone conducts themselves with class and sportsmanship. No profane remarks and don't get personal. As far as the serving goes stick them on the free throw line with a few thousand friends and relatives screaming as loud as they can trying to get you to miss then they will get used to serving with people yelling at them.

The thing that I dislike is the plastic milkjugs and like filled with rocks or loose change. Those should be banned forever from any sport. If you don't want them stomping on the stands then push the stands back and make everyone stand up or play the games without spectators. We love the football players at East Ridge. They are loud and rowdy and the girls really get pumped up when they show up.

I have noticed that the home teams get upset about the visiting teams noise when the visiting team crowd completely drowns out the home team fans. This happens in all sports.

I think the crowd problems can be totally blamed on the lack of knowledge of the game. They are bringing their pattern of conduct over from basketball (other sport played in a gym) and it doesn't fit the game of volleyball. I do love the noise made on a long three pointer when they do it for your big hitter fixing to plant one on the other team. That fits perfectly.

Give me a packed gym full of lowd rowdy fans for my kids vb games any day. I'm still waiting for one. Thats why volleyball gets very poor press coverage and the average sports fan does't know the sport exists.

So you shouldn't allow it in volleyball since they don't allow it in tennis or golf. Well that makes sense because volleyball, tennis and golf are so much alike. Why should it be allowed during a free throw at a basketball game or a penalty kick in soccer? It only makes sense if you can't do it at tennis or golf, right?. Also, don't blame the coach on it it's not like she knew the ref was deaf. The Firm was warned not to yell during the serve in that game so they didn't do it anymore. but the line judge who was standing in front of The Firm tried to accuse one of them for saying something during a serve again(which they didn't) so he told the ref about it, who was deaf so he couldn't make a judgment on it so he had to go with what the judge said and throw the kid out. The line judge was a parent from Harding, who Soddy was playing at the time

I cant believe that this has really been debated for so long. Im sorry but stomping the bleachers and yelling at the server is not wrong nor is it unsporting. You tell me how that is unsporting when you can sit behind the backboard of a basketball game and wave flags while screaming your lungs out. Kinda seems like the same thing to me. This is high school athletics and its about the kids. Let them cheer and so long as they do not scream directly at the player by calling her name or number then let it be.

GLJ your best asset may very well be your biggest demise. You know the rules, you understand the game. You just need to loosen up man. Kids are gonna yell and fans are gonna stomp the bleachers. Thats totally ok to do!

I cant believe that this has really been debated for so long. Im sorry but stomping the bleachers and yelling at the server is not wrong nor is it unsporting. You tell me how that is unsporting when you can sit behind the backboard of a basketball game and wave flags while screaming your lungs out. Kinda seems like the same thing to me. This is high school athletics and its about the kids. Let them cheer and so long as they do not scream directly at the player by calling her name or number then let it be.

GLJ your best asset may very well be your biggest demise. You know the rules, you understand the game. You just need to loosen up man. Kids are gonna yell and fans are gonna stomp the bleachers. Thats totally ok to do!

Harp,

There's a fine line between what's acceptable and what's not. Without seeing it for myself, I couldn't give you my judgment on what's ok and what's not. I saw the Page stuff myself.

One man's lift is another's "play on". This topic is a critical subject, in my opinion, because it is at the heart of what we all want to see more of - avid spectators in the crowd. You are entitled to your opinion, harp, and some referees may see it the way you do. In my professional opinion, it's a judgment call and it's entirely situational.

Indeed it is about the kids. However, if things go too far, someone must protect the player's rights/interests - that responsibility rests solely with the referee.

Harp, would you stomp on the bleachers - intending to distract the server - when your own team is serving?

Are you telling me that if we make noise during the serve the player may hit the ball out of bounds or into the net. Have you ever been to Big South or the national qualifer in Indianapolis with 100 courts in one room, 100 refs blowing whistles non-stop on these courts, 200 sets of fans cheering for their teams non stop, 300 college coaching staffs present evaluating every move these kids make and they can serve the ball despite this!

Or you could be with us at Ooltewah last week with 250 fans with a funeral home noise level as both teams mange to hit 8 serves in a row into the net or out of bounds.

I suggest everyone teach their players how to serve.