Big 9 Confrence

iamtheboonenation

Hear's why I think this years "team" is better.

The listed starting line up rot the 02-03 team:

Joey Blackwell

Azmar Blye

Henry Williams

Jarrod Wooten

Thomas Harrison

This years starting line up:

Todd Halverson

Jamel Williams

Tremell McGue

Adam Lytle

Dustin McConnell

Darren Riggs

Bronson Flack

Jordan Edwards

Marshall Hardy

Justin Sylvester

Reed King

Theres strength in numbers /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I didn't see the '02-'03 team. Looking at the starting 5 I recognize what a great team they must have had. I know 3 of those starters. Great players. The argument is good for the topic of debate, but not much else. This year's team doesn't have to play 'DB's '02-'03 team. Their toughest competition will come from JC. I would say this for this year's team is that thier depth is incredible. I can't imaqine many teams in East Tennessee that has had as much depth as this team. There are so many interchangeable players.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW...we finally agree on something. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> It's got to be the Christmas spirit in the air. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I've had fun sparring on here with you CAP1, although I think your a little over the top sometimes I'm sure your response would be "likewise". Its just pride for our respected schools and I can understand that and wouldn't expect anything but that. But I can say that I have never seen you or some of the others get on here and bash kids and for those who don't you should be commended. That is the only reason that I reply to you CAP1 and others and won't respond to the other kid bashers on here except occassionally when one gets under my collar. Anyway keep your gloves on and we'll continue to swing away in a respectful manner and yes name calling is respectful. Merry Christmas CAP1!

Waco you are an idiot. If you want to compare teams then let's do it:

PG: Joey Blackwell vs Tremell McGue. Advantage 02-03.

SG: Azmar Blye vs Todd Halvorsen. Advantage 02-03.

SG: Henry Williams vs Justin Sylvester. Advantage 02-03.

F: Jarrod Wooten vs. Marshall Hardy. Advantage 02-03.

F: Thomas Harrison vs. Jordan Edwards. Advantage 02-03.

Bench:

02-03 -- Seth Jervis, Lamon Williams, Phillip Tritapoe, David Begley, Ryan Blackwell, Walker Throp (may be some others I'm missing)

07-08 -- Jamel Williams, Adam Lytle, Dustin McConnell, Darren Riggs, Bronson Flack, Reed King, Darius Davis, Jerry Long (may be some others)

Now that you have seen the "100% correct" comparison, just a few notes. The only questionable advantage I gave in the starting lineups was to Henry Williams over Justin Sylvester. And here are my reasons for that:

1. Henry could shoot the ball better.

2. Henry was bigger.

3. Henry was a longer defender which caused more problems.

4. Henry was an excellent, all-conference player in college.

Now, with that said, before Justin's career is finished, he could pass up Henry and be a better player, but there is nothing that would justify listing him as a better player at this point.

Brock, you are correct that noone in the area could handle the ball as well as Azmar except for maybe Joey Blackwell, who happened to be on his team. The 02-03 team would beat this years team down in all facets of the game. They had better ball handlers, shooters, and much better all around post play.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason everyone is so obsessed with this year's DB team is that they are so much better than the other area teams. Granted, this is probably a fact, all though Science Hill may have something to say about that. However, DB has played 1 good team to this point, Farragut, and got their brains beat out, and that was without Farragut's football players. Coach Morgan likes to say that his teams aren't ready until mid-January. That may be the case. Either way, this team has played 1 good team, and lost to that team by 20 or so points.

Tribealldaway, do you have another screen name like Crazy? You kind of sound like him from football.

02-02 and 03-04 earned their way to the state tournament...05-06 and 06-07 earned their way to the sub-state...Coach Shipley had two teams make the state tournament and also won the Arby's Classic Championship...Coach Van Huss had numerous trips to the state tournament, as well as to the substate and also had an Arby's Championship...we haven't even reached Arby's on the schedule yet this year...I am just going to enjoy the efforts of this years team and then will see how they end up...

Roll Tribe Roll

No. I do not have any other screen names on here.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Waco you are an idiot. If you want to compare teams then let's do it:

PG: Joey Blackwell vs Tremell McGue. Advantage 02-03.

SG: Azmar Blye vs Todd Halvorsen. Advantage 02-03.

SG: Henry Williams vs Justin Sylvester. Advantage 02-03.

F: Jarrod Wooten vs. Marshall Hardy. Advantage 02-03.

F: Thomas Harrison vs. Jordan Edwards. Advantage 02-03.

Bench:

02-03 -- Seth Jervis, Lamon Williams, Phillip Tritapoe, David Begley, Ryan Blackwell, Walker Throp (may be some others I'm missing)

07-08 -- Jamel Williams, Adam Lytle, Dustin McConnell, Darren Riggs, Bronson Flack, Reed King, Darius Davis, Jerry Long (may be some others)

Now that you have seen the "100% correct" comparison, just a few notes. The only questionable advantage I gave in the starting lineups was to Henry Williams over Justin Sylvester. And here are my reasons for that:

1. Henry could shoot the ball better.

2. Henry was bigger.

3. Henry was a longer defender which caused more problems.

4. Henry was an excellent, all-conference player in college.

Now, with that said, before Justin's career is finished, he could pass up Henry and be a better player, but there is nothing that would justify listing him as a better player at this point.

Brock, you are correct that noone in the area could handle the ball as well as Azmar except for maybe Joey Blackwell, who happened to be on his team. The 02-03 team would beat this years team down in all facets of the game. They had better ball handlers, shooters, and much better all around post play.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason everyone is so obsessed with this year's DB team is that they are so much better than the other area teams. Granted, this is probably a fact, all though Science Hill may have something to say about that. However, DB has played 1 good team to this point, Farragut, and got their brains beat out, and that was without Farragut's football players. Coach Morgan likes to say that his teams aren't ready until mid-January. That may be the case. Either way, this team has played 1 good team, and lost to that team by 20 or so points.

You do realize that this is just about opinions don't you. I mean Im starting to think you really believe in what your saying. You do know that we would have to somehow get the two teams together in their prime, which is impossible. Some say this years team is better, some say the other team was better. Its really nothing to get all worked up over. Your not going to get a gun and start shooting people I hope. Anyway the people that know the most about DB basketball agree with me. I'll just leave it at that.

Oh I almost forgot. You can't use Idiot when your addressing me. That is part of a label I use (Villege Idiot). So it has been taken. You can't use Mo-Ron either, or "Clown", Cap1 has that one. One you could use when addressing me is "Sir", or maybe "All knowing one" Or haw 'bout this one......"Awsome Dude" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I really don't understand the complaining. I would love to argue about which one of Central's teams is better,and who should start and how you have 4 great post players who is the best out of all of them. Sounds like a pretty good problem to have. Some of you all gotta be careful,this kind of stuff can split a team apart.

Also,Cap,in an earlier post you said the "Road Warriors" of DB won district. Not so,that was the Central year,then DB came back and beat us in regionals.

With the exception of DB And Science Hill,I would like to know who people think will get the 3 seed. At the beginning of the year I figured TN High,but now it seems like a team like East or Volunteer might sneak in there. I know its early,and I think East and Volunteer may be peaking too soon,but what does everyone else think?

I really don't understand the complaining. I would love to argue about which one of Central's teams is better,and who should start and how you have 4 great post players who is the best out of all of them. Sounds like a pretty good problem to have. Some of you all gotta be careful,this kind of stuff can split a team apart.

Also,Cap,in an earlier post you said the "Road Warriors" of DB won district. Not so,that was the Central year,then DB came back and beat us in regionals.

With the exception of DB And Science Hill,I would like to know who people think will get the 3 seed. At the beginning of the year I figured TN High,but now it seems like a team like East or Volunteer might sneak in there. I know its early,and I think East and Volunteer may be peaking too soon,but what does everyone else think?

Db and East are tied with 1.7 secs left DB has the ball. 64-64 Isaac Snapp has fouled out with 19 points. I don't know much about the 02-03 team, but the 07-08 team is loaded. Some of DB fans have just been ejected from the East Gym. Dustin McConnell hits a 12 footer to win 66-64.

Skunk

You have any information on Tom Taylor? Paul Overbay was doing the game on WGOC tonight. I had heard talk of him moving on but he told me at the Crockett game he was 99.9% sure he was coming back. He was THE voice of DB in my opinioin.

When I heard the voice of Paul Overbay on the radio before the game saying he was taking over for Tom Taylor and would be the voice of DB basketball the rest of the season I started shaking violently and had to pull over and throw up beside the road. How could this happen. The best announcer in the area being replaced by the worst announcer the world has ever known. This is the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of DB sports. This guy is a absolute embarrassment to the entire area. Surly this will not stand. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />