A levev playing field for all teams.

NoNameD

LOL...it would be another way to get a "level playing field" I suppose...of course we would have to do the same thing to the coaches and have some formula to trade good players for bad coaches for it to be truly level.

It seems silly but it is the same thought process used for DII and the mulitplier...just carried out to its logical conclusion.

Swami's system wouldn't work though Coach. You'd have people saying that the 'assignment process' wasn't fair. Think about it though...if the playing field really was level, none of us would watch or play sports...every competition would end in a tie...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone looked in to Nashville Hillsboro. They are an open school zone and also co-op with two schools that do not have football in Nashville. Why do they not have the multiplier applied to them. If I remember correctly they have been very succesful for many years. Can you believe it I did not mention Maryville at all this time.

The majority of public schools are open zoned in some way. ALL the publics in Hamilton County (and the other metro systems) are open in several ways. The only schools that can't take whatever transfer they want with no penalties are the privates.

Could you please explain opened school zoned in some way and Hamilton County and Metro systems open in several ways. It seems that everyone is so vauge in their post. All I know is that Maryville is open zoned and tuition paying transfer eligible and they are beating everyone. That is not very vauge!

Could you please explain opened school zoned in some way and Hamilton County and Metro systems open in several ways. It seems that everyone is so vauge in their post. All I know is that Maryville is open zoned and tuition paying transfer eligible and they are beating everyone. That is not very vauge!

I was making a play on the term 'open zoned'. Traditionally it means that the school can take anyone from the county that the school is in (sometimes from nearby counties) even if that person is not in the zone that the school pulls from. As long as the school has space and the student can provide transportation they can switch...that is the sense that 'open zoned' is used in for Maryville, the Marion County schools, and others.

But the truth is that any metro system is 'open zoned' because of NCLB. If your school doesn't offer a class that you want to take but the great Football school across town just happens to offer it, and if you can find transportation and they have room, you can go...period. Add to that the Magnet schools (which have no zones to start with...) and the fact that many metro systems will let anyone go to any school if they are in the minority and the school isn't full, and you have a bunch of tuition free schools that can get any athletes they want if that is what they want to do. Toss in the fact that it is perfectly legal for a public school coach to go to public middle school games and talk to all the athletes...even schedule meetings at the middle schools in question to talk about their sport, and you begin to see that the arguments that privates can easily get athletes because of their open zone are baseless because publics can get them just as easily with no penalties. Add to that the fact that the rules about undue influence and sitting out a year are NOT aimed at the public schools at all because the way the rules are written there is virtually no way a public school program can violate them, and you begin to see how truly open most public schools in metro areas are.

A private school coach, however, who went to a middle school game to watch a nephew or something, has techincally violated the undue influence rules if a parent asks him "what do you think of my kid" and he replies "he's a great athlete, I wish I had him". What a crock... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And, of course, the private school has a huge advantage over the open zoned publics in that some of the private's students probably come from 25 miles away instead of 10...the fact that anyone who attends the private pays 7k a year in tuition doesn't figure into the equation somehow...like 100% of the population is able and willing to pay 7k for their kid to go to school...lol /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Just remember, 'level playing fields' are about as common as snipes, or perfect machines, or the supermodel who loves kids, cooks, and talks Football with the guys. In reality the call for equality on the athletic field is a smoke screen for the call to punish the privates because they are different and a few are good. If it wasn't, the call would have been made to the great public programs too.

I was making a play on the term 'open zoned'. Traditionally it means that the school can take anyone from the county that the school is in (sometimes from nearby counties) even if that person is not in the zone that the school pulls from. As long as the school has space and the student can provide transportation they can switch...that is the sense that 'open zoned' is used in for Maryville, the Marion County schools, and others.

But the truth is that any metro system is 'open zoned' because of NCLB. If your school doesn't offer a class that you want to take but the great Football school across town just happens to offer it, and if you can find transportation and they have room, you can go...period. Add to that the Magnet schools (which have no zones to start with...) and the fact that many metro systems will let anyone go to any school if they are in the minority and the school isn't full, and you have a bunch of tuition free schools that can get any athletes they want if that is what they want to do. Toss in the fact that it is perfectly legal for a public school coach to go to public middle school games and talk to all the athletes...even schedule meetings at the middle schools in question to talk about their sport, and you begin to see that the arguments that privates can easily get athletes because of their open zone are baseless because publics can get them just as easily with no penalties. Add to that the fact that the rules about undue influence and sitting out a year are NOT aimed at the public schools at all because the way the rules are written there is virtually no way a public school program can violate them, and you begin to see how truly open most public schools in metro areas are.

A private school coach, however, who went to a middle school game to watch a nephew or something, has techincally violated the undue influence rules if a parent asks him "what do you think of my kid" and he replies "he's a great athlete, I wish I had him". What a crock... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And, of course, the private school has a huge advantage over the open zoned publics in that some of the private's students probably come from 25 miles away instead of 10...the fact that anyone who attends the private pays 7k a year in tuition doesn't figure into the equation somehow...like 100% of the population is able and willing to pay 7k for their kid to go to school...lol /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Just remember, 'level playing fields' are about as common as snipes, or perfect machines, or the supermodel who loves kids, cooks, and talks Football with the guys. In reality the call for equality on the athletic field is a smoke screen for the call to punish the privates because they are different and a few are good. If it wasn't, the call would have been made to the great public programs too.

We are starting to see a generation of kids, but mainly PARENTS, that have bought into some of these youth programs that promotes "equal playing time" and "every child is a winner". What a crock.

We are starting to see a generation of kids, but mainly PARENTS, that have bought into some of these youth programs that promotes "equal playing time" and "every child is a winner". What a crock.

Great post.

Somewhere along the line, some people forgot that there are just as many lessons to be learned by losing as there are by winning. For a lot of people, if you cant win, they act as if they are entitled to add an H and an E to the word WIN and then they WHINE.

Losing often makes a better and stronger man. And losing often reveals the true character strengths or character flaws that exist in many. It is scary what is being revealed in a lot of people these days.

Maybe thats what we should do. Pool all the athletes togther. Have an outside source rank them. Then have an assignmet proccess to divvy them to the schools. Everyone gets the same number of athleted and that have a cummulative score that is identical.

Or perhaps we could just quit keeping score (like they do in t-ball) and rotate the state championships around to all of the schools (no school gets more than one championship in a year). Everybody's happy - right?

Or perhaps we could just quit keeping score (like they do in t-ball) and rotate the state championships around to all of the schools (no school gets more than one championship in a year). Everybody's happy - right?

Make sure that you send cookies & juice for a snack along with the state championship trophy.

There's also a generation of PARENTS who think that the only way for their kid to get a scholarship is by moving him to the best travel team or high school program they can afford to get him in. Nothing wrong with rec league if it's run right. There's nothing wrong with attending a public school to get an education and play high school sports. There's alot of PARENTS that have lost perspective. If you truly want your kid to go to college, take the money spent on pitching lessons and AAU and send them to some tutors or invest it in an annuity. Everybody in the state with a B average can go to college in Tennessee. The crock about investing in your kids future is a pipe dream for the most part if you're going about it through athletics. That's parent's egos talking.

Winning and playing time and playing in the most competitive environment is fine when it's the kid's choice. When it's the parents choice, it's not fine. I'd like to know how many careers have been prematurely ended by sore arms and burn out by over zealous wannabe Dads and weekend coaches. Give me a break. It's all Rec league isn't it? Recreational? Anybody getting paid on their 8U elite travel baseball team? That's an NCAA violation you know. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Urban areas might have open zoned policies, but I can assure you that most rural publics do not. There are no exceptions in alot of rural publics for playing out of zone. Sure, a parent can sell their house and move or rent an apartment in a different area. Those that are doing such things to put their kids in the public high school of their choice have lost perspective as well.

There's also a generation of PARENTS who think that the only way for their kid to get a scholarship is by moving him to the best travel team or high school program they can afford to get him in. Nothing wrong with rec league if it's run right. There's nothing wrong with attending a public school to get an education and play high school sports. There's alot of PARENTS that have lost perspective. If you truly want your kid to go to college, take the money spent on pitching lessons and AAU and send them to some tutors or invest it in an annuity. Everybody in the state with a B average can go to college in Tennessee. The crock about investing in your kids future is a pipe dream for the most part if you're going about it through athletics. That's parent's egos talking.

Winning and playing time and playing in the most competitive environment is fine when it's the kid's choice. When it's the parents choice, it's not fine. I'd like to know how many careers have been prematurely ended by sore arms and burn out by over zealous wannabe Dads and weekend coaches. Give me a break. It's all Rec league isn't it? Recreational? Anybody getting paid on their 8U elite travel baseball team? That's an NCAA violation you know. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Urban areas might have open zoned policies, but I can assure you that most rural publics do not. There are no exceptions in alot of rural publics for playing out of zone. Sure, a parent can sell their house and move or rent an apartment in a different area. Those that are doing such things to put their kids in the public high school of their choice have lost perspective as well.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with attending a public school, and there's nothing wrong with attending a private school. But contrary to many thoughts on this board, most parents send their children to a private school for reasons other than athletics. My son is going to play soccer where ever he's in school, regardless of whether its a public or private.

Our family was a public school family for 13 years. Then due to circumstance associated with a job transfer, we made the decision, academically, to place our youngest in a private for his last 3 years. The soccer team of the public school we're zoned for has a better record than the private school's soccer team. Kids are kids where ever they are. Its the parents who screw things up.