A levev playing field for all teams.

NoNameD

How about you just stop answering him then? Again, he never mentioned your team until one of your ubiquitous fans brought it up here.

Let your record speak for itself, as it very clearly does. Everyone that is rational on here respects Maryville and what they have acomplished.

No one does, and he continues to post more threads. And again, look at his posting history and see where it is directed.

Then again, how bout you just worry about making sure you don't get upset by BGA on Friday?

Boy, you guys on West end and northern Williamson Co. are developing resentment problems lately. Quite testy. It's not that bad, I promise.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame, we used to admire excellence in this country, now it gets you punished.

That is absolutely the crux of the issue. For some reason, most people in our society today believe that they should win at everything, and if they don't, there is something wrong with the system. That goes not only for athletics, but career success, economic success, social success...you name it.

It really does make me worry about our country. We are raising a generation of narcissistic children who are unprepared to face any disappointment. Mommy and Daddy are to quick to excuse any disappointment by blaming others, or "the system" rather than helping their kids face up to it and improve.

No one does, and he continues to post more threads. And again, look at his posting history and see where it is directed.

Then again, how bout you just worry about making sure you don't get upset by BGA on Friday?

Boy, you guys on West end and northern Williamson Co. are developing resentment problems lately. Quite testy. It's not that bad, I promise.

/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I don't want to look at his threads. I'm not interested. I apologize if I offended you with my advice. Take care.

No, seriously, the intent of every post/thread this guy has made has been directed towards something Maryvillian.

Sol...Maryville is the ultimate argument against the multiplier and against everything that public schools cry about. They are the BA of public schools. I don`t think anyone says that Maryville cheats. But they do have advantages that other public schools don`t. There is just no question about it. Maryville has a very good thing going on. The program "attracts" kids. Some programs are like that. Personally I hope Maryville continues to do well because they set the bar higher. But take a private school like BA that does well in the same manner as Maryville and they are accused of cheating. That just isn`t right.

If schools want to complain about only having certain zones then that is their right. But schools like Maryville that have their own rules about who they allow in from outside their zones should be considered too. That`s why I say scrap all recruiting rules. This shouldn`t be the TSSAA`s business. There are way too many differences from one school system to another on how they allow kids to attend school or transfer from school to school. IMO if a school system is okay with a transfer then the TSSAA should just go along.

Everyone wants to talk about tuition students. Maryville has way less percentage tuition students now than they did in the late 80s and early 90s. Maryville is getting way too big. It is getting overcrowded. There is less room for tuition students. Getting a tuition student is a advantage over teams that can't get them. I will admit that. With that advantage it didn't help Maryvile at all when they were going 5-5 in 1989,1990,1993 and 1996. It didn't help Maryville when they didn't make the playoffs in 1983,1985,1988,1989,1990,1991,1993 and 1996. Maryville went 10 years without a playoff win.

The 2 biggest advantages that Maryville has over the other teams in their region is this. These 2 advantages are way bigger than tuition students.

1. Middle School football. Maryville Middle School runs the same offense as the high school team does. If a kid plays at Maryville Middle School as a 7th grader he will have 6 years in the Maryville system. None of the other teams in the region except Clinton has a middle school team. I think Powell is trying to get a Middle School program going.

2. This is the most important reason Maryville is doing so well right now. COACHING. Maryville has the very best coaching staff in the STATE BAR NONE. I would bet that Maryville has one of the best coaching staffs in the country. They are that good. George Quarles is one of the brightest coaches in the country. This guy is another Steve Spurrier minus the attitude. David Ellis is one of the best offensive line coaches in the country. What he does with a lot of times is with average size kids. This years team has 2 starting tackles that weigh 180lbs. But! They get the job done because they have great technique. Jim Gaylor was head coach at Clinton. Clinton hasn't been the same since he left. Mike White,Joe Pinkerton and Joe Robinette could very easily be head coaches somewhere. Larry Walker and Jeremy Russell are bright young coaches. Pinkerton is giving up coaching because he will be assistant principal next year. It will hurt losing him but I believe Quarles will find someone.

I would agree running the same system in middle school as high school is key...but alot of teams are doing that across the state even if not in their region...I for one think too much of this discussion is directed at Maryville...I think that unfair, but I will say that privates who lose are still hit with the multplier so it not helping them in a 5-5 season should not affect the argument...the bottom line is any open zone school, public or private should be treated the same

The whole 'we don't allow as many tuition kids in now as we used to' argument is pretty weak. Building a tradition that attracts the players to the system by out of zone players is how you got where you are. Try building a tradition with the kids in your zone.

I agree with Baldcoach that a merit system is the only way to go. One division divided into 5 classifications based on performance over the past 4 years. Equitable to everybody.

Anybody got a guess as to how many open zoned schools there are in the T$$AA? I don't mean that sarcastically, I really don't have any idea. I can just think of several off the top of my head.

And if you do that, what about the T$$AA rule allowing an athlete to play a sport at another school if their school does not offer that sport? Would you not have to put in the multiplier there too?

Anybody got a guess as to how many open zoned schools there are in the T$$AA? I don't mean that sarcastically, I really don't have any idea. I can just think of several off the top of my head.

And if you do that, what about the T$$AA rule allowing an athlete to play a sport at another school if their school does not offer that sport? Would you not have to put in the multiplier there too?

honestly I don't know either...for a long time I thought not many just a few around west tenn I knew of...but the more I hear the more I think it is a bigger number

Should public schools that charce tuition be allowed to play in the public division,or should they be required to play with private schools that also charge tuition. Should the multiplier be applied to public schools that charge tuition like private schools who want to play in the public division? Should their be a semi-private league for these schools?

No stick them with the private schools there is no need for a new division

I think you have to look at co-ops too. That's similar to an open zone in some ways.