Reg 2 Dist. 4 A

catmommy

By the way, Oakdale, IMO, is not the front runner. Don't get me wrong, they have a pretty good group of players in their line-up and they will definitely challenge for the top spot. Oliver Springs is the team to knock off and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. Everyone will have their "scope" on the Lady Bobcats!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite what Oliver Springs lost, they do return the most versatile, athletic, and explosive player in the district in Christopher. Sure, they lost three starters, but return Christopher, Barger, and enough of a bench to keep them in the top spot of District 4A. I think the Lady Bobcat's biggest question mark at this point is their post play. Who is going to replace Copeland? If they can find a strong, solid post, then they will definitely take the district. I fully anticipate Oakdale and Oliver Springs to have two close regular season games (really good chance for a split). However, Christopher is a winner and she will find a way to win when it matters most (District and Region Tournament). I fully believe that she just gives them that "it" factor that it often takes to lead a team to the top.

SDO, I believe ptguard12 is an authority on such things. I also agree that Oakdale could take a game from them some night, but, as pg12 stated, they don't have anyone of the caliber of KC. Hey, I think I've come up with a new one......KC and the Sunshine Band. Good luck SDO and the Lady Eagles.

Kaz

I just don't see it ending up that way. KC is as you say the it factor but Oakdale will be much stronger down low. They will put O.S. in foul trouble and beat them with their front line. Also, Coalfield should be able to at least challenge O.S. with the addition of an it girl of their own in freshman AJ! She may be the best athlete in the district right now. So, I've got to think that Oakdale, O.S. and Coalfield could possibly be a toss up this season.

Also, i feel that wartburg could be the odd man out. I'm not trying to say they are bad players of people the girls have ego's and it's up to the coach to deal with them. I just don't see a first year coach having the ability to really get after the girls and make them do things his way.

I feel the district will go

1. Oakdale

2. O.S.

3. Coalfield

4. Wartburg/Oneida

5. Wartburg/Oneida

6. Sunbright

Okay, now I may be accused of looking at this with purple-tinted glasses, but here goes...

1. OS- Top team here until proven otherwise. Christopher and Barger should make for an excellent tandem, Mariah Ollis has shown promise off the bench last year and should step up in a starting role, Kelsey Hall is an excellent role-player for the team as she may be the quickest girl on the team and knows how to contribute, and Cindel Howard has some potential to be an excellent player for the Lady Cats. Factor in Coach K's proven ability coaching and I see no reason why OS won't be the top team in the region, however, it's gonna be tougher than last year, no doubt.

2. Oakdale- Returns a lot of talent and started strong last year before slightly tailing off but all starters return and they could potentially give the Lady 'Cats fits at the top.

3. Coalfield- Still a year away from very huge impact but the arrival of the highly regarded Alaina Jordan could really help out a team that already looks very good in the coming years.

4. Wartburg Central- Lots of players returning, but I think the transition to the new coach might hurt them a bit at first but come January, they'll be dangerous too.

5. Oneida- Don't let the low ranking fool you. Coach West has stepped up time and time again and the Lady Indians are always a tough team.

6. Sunbright- Still another year or two away from major impact in the district.

did anyone else have play days this past weekend? O.S lost to Columbia by 1 on a barger last second shot. OS beat Austin East by 2 on 2 christopher free throws with 4 seconds left. Then O.S was stunned with the best shooting i have ever seen in my life by smyrna! They ended up loosing by 25 i think. dont hold me to that score though.

SDO......you made, quite possibly, the most idiotic remark I have ever heard. A. Jordan is probably going to wiggle her way into Coalfield's line-up at some point, but she is NOT, in my opinion, an "It" girl at this point in her career. She doesn't hold a candle to several players in the District. She is no doubt going to be a solid addition to the Yellow Jackets, but she ain't on the same level as KC or even Barger at Oz. I'm not saying she doesn't have the potential to reach the "It" level, but she has a long way to go. KC has proven herself through her first two years and it doesn't look like she is content with her playing ability. I fully expect her to keep rising, because that is what great players do. A.J. will have to become more mature and do something significant to change my perception of her in the future. She is a very solid player for a Freshman, but she's no Christopher.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazaam /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

OK.....I'm going to have to give this one a couple of weeks because we do have a new cast of characters this season. For Oz.......duh, thats a no brainer! For everybody else.......well, I'm going to have to research that a little bit before I reach any conclusions. I will say this, that question is kinda loaded, because it would be easy to miss something when a young lady doesn't have a particular "stellar" night. I don't wish to slight any one or any team. I'll get back to you on this one!

Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It's ridiculous for anyone to say Oliver Springs is not the favorite in this district.

Allow me to inject some reaity into this topic:

The past 6 years of Oliver Springs basketball

1) Oliver Springs has won 6 district championships in a row.

*4 of those were in AA - 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004

*2 were in A - 2006 and 2007

2)Oliver Springs has been ranked in the top 10 in AA or A every year since 2001. This includes #1 in AA for most of the year in 2004. That was the year after Laura Hall graduated from OSHS.

3) Oliver Springs has made the state tourney 4 of the past 6 years while playing in Class A and AA. In 2003, OSHS was Class AA semifinalist. In 2007, Oliver Springs was Class A Runnerup.

4) Oliver Springs has generated numerous All State players during this span.

5) Oliver Springs plays one of the most difficult Out of Distrcit schedules of any team in Tennessee. The Lady Cats usually play AA and AAA powers that makes them battle tested for class "A" opponents in the district and come playoff time.

6) Oliver Springs has Kayla Christopher. She is the number 2 college prospect in the entire state of Tennessee as a junior placing behind senior All American UT signee Glory Johnson. Katyla is considered one of the top 50 players in the nation and will most likely be Tennessee's best and most recruited player for the class of 2009 and most likely will be a High School All American. I don't think this district really knows of appreciates the caliber of player it has in Christopher

The top 40 players of the class of 2009 in America:

http://web.utk.edu/~smarshal/2009.htm

Tennessee's top 2008 player rankings regardless of classification:

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/prephoops/0708...lusTNGirls.html

1. Glory Webb, Knox Webb, University of Tennesse signee, SENIOR

2. Kayla Christopher, Oliver Springs, JUNOR

Throw in Barger who is one of Tennessee's best player in her own right with the seasoned veteran play of Hall, OSHS is ready to defend it's title. Also, last but certtainly not least, let's not forget about the coaching prowess of Coach Brown-Christopher, It's unfathomable for anyone suggest the path to the district championship doesn't go through Oliver Springs ? The bottom line is the Lady Cats reload. They've done it time and time again. This year will not be any different. Granted a couple teams going into January in the District might have better OOD ( out of district ) records, but that means nothing. OSHS might lose a couple games to Tennessee powerhouses like Jackon County, Webb, and Upperman, and in the big time holiday tournies specifially designed to allow Tennessee's best women't programs to play each other, but I doubt Coach Christopher and company mind those Losses. It will help mold this team into a cohesive unit come late Febuary/March when OSHS is marching toward MBORO.

1) Oliver Springs

2) Oakdale

3) Oneida

4) Coalfield

5) Wartburg

6) Sunbright

Any questioins?