Reg 2 Dist. 4 A

catmommy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OZ has done very well since 2000 but they had very good post players also. This year team they have the best player in the district again in Kayla but they will not run over teams in this district like years past. Yes maybe they should be the front runner again until they get beat. But I think this district winner might have 2 or 3 losses this year.

Best of luck to all the teams in the district this year.

I don't think it's wise to be saying OS won't have good post players. I think Barger is gonna have a breakout year as a post with her being probably the #2 scoring threat instead of #4. She may not have Lauren's size, but I think she did a good job last year and I'm sure she'll step up. Cindel has the potential to be good and Mariah showed she CAN contribute with a few double digit point performances last year, so don't sell the Lady 'Cats short. Will they run over people like last year? No, but they're still OS. The talent well there's not drying up anytime in the next few years. They've got some freshmen that'll be good in a couple years as well in Katie Harvey, Sarah Davis, Hannah Raby, and Maleah Murray. Plus they still have some pretty good talent at the middle school level.

Then again, maybe I'm seeing this with purple-colored glasses.

It's ridiculous for anyone to say Oliver Springs is not the favorite in this district.

Allow me to inject some reaity into this topic:

The past 6 years of Oliver Springs basketball

1) Oliver Springs has won 6 district championships in a row.

*4 of those were in AA - 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004

*2 were in A - 2006 and 2007

2)Oliver Springs has been ranked in the top 10 in AA or A every year since 2001. This includes #1 in AA for most of the year in 2004. That was the year after Laura Hall graduated from OSHS.

3) Oliver Springs has made the state tourney 4 of the past 6 years while playing in Class A and AA. In 2003, OSHS was Class AA semifinalist. In 2007, Oliver Springs was Class A Runnerup.

4) Oliver Springs has generated numerous All State players during this span.

5) Oliver Springs plays one of the most difficult Out of Distrcit schedules of any team in Tennessee usually playing AA and AAA powers that makes them battle tested for class "A" opponents in district and playoffs.

6) Oliver Springs has Kayla Christopher. She is the number 2 college prospect in the entire state of Tennessee as a junior placing behind UT signee Glory Johnson. Sher's only a junior. She is considered one of the top 30-50 players in the nation and most likely be Tennessee's best player for the class of 2009. Add Barger, Hall, and ther other returning players from Oliver Springs in additon to the coaching prowess of Coach Brown, how could anyone suggest the path to the district championship doesn't go trhough Oliver Springs is just way off base.

1) Oliver Springs

2) Oakdale

3) Oneida

4) Coalfield

5) Wartburg

6) Sunbright

Any questioins?

How to you rank Wartburg all the way at number 5?

I was thinking about what a team needs to win and came up with this.

Good point guard - Armes and McWhorter

Shooters - Staten, Lavender, Settles

Sound D - I'm hearing that the match-up is not going to be played anymore but they still will be able to get after it.

Post D - Branstetter, Bunch, and Freels all seem ready to step it up.

Senior Leadership from what I hear is pretty good.

Coaching - Gonna be fine there also

I could see 2nd or even 3rd but just cant see these kids in 5th place.

Wait and see Lady Dogs will suprise many in this district this year.

How to you rank Wartburg all the way at number 5?

I was thinking about what a team needs to win and came up with this.

Good point guard - Armes and McWhorter

Shooters - Staten, Lavender, Settles

Sound D - I'm hearing that the match-up is not going to be played anymore but they still will be able to get after it.

Post D - Branstetter, Bunch, and Freels all seem ready to step it up.

Senior Leadership from what I hear is pretty good.

Coaching - as far as predictions go I predict that when all is said and done this Coach Davis will be reguarded as highly as the previous coach D! Now there is a bold prediction for the Coacht readers!!!!

I could see 2nd or even 3rd but just cant see these kids in 5th place.

Wait and see Lady Dogs will suprise many in this district this year.

WHOA THERE PLAYERMOM!!!!!

I don't think that prediction is too far off. This Coach Davis will certainly have the same legacy as the previous one........30 years and not 1 trip to the boro!

This team is not very good!! I watched them last year and they will not get along with one another. Too concerned with self and not ready for the next step.

Wartburg will finish 5th but Oakdale and I'm telling you I know what I'm talking about here will dominate Ya HEAR!!

Got a question:

Why don't Morgan county and Roane county at the end of the season have a senior all-star Boys and Girls game? Have each team coached by of the the schools coaches practice for a week and then play. One year have the game in Morgan county the next in Roane. The host team could give the gate money to the county to use for the schools. This way it can thank the kids for their hard work. I believe this would take off if someone in one of these county would step up and do it. To many good players to not have an all-star game.

Got a question:

Why don't Morgan county and Roane county at the end of the season have a senior all-star Boys and Girls game? Have each team coached by of the the schools coaches practice for a week and then play. One year have the game in Morgan county the next in Roane. The host team could give the gate money to the county to use for the schools. This way it can thank the kids for their hard work. I believe this would take off if someone in one of these county would step up and do it. To many good players to not have an all-star game.

Roane County would dominate every year. Simple populations of the counties illustrate this. Roane has a population in the mid 30,000's. Morgan County's population is close to 17-18,000.

Morgan County would be better off playing Scott County or even the two High Schools of Cumberland County.

Roane County would be better off playing Anderson or Loudon County. You also need to remember Oliver Springs draws about 1/3 of it's enrollment from Anderson County/Norwood. It's unfair to ask Morgan Country schools to go up against Kingston, Oliver Springs, Harriman, Rockwood, and Midway. While Morgan County had produces some special athletes over the past 20-25 years, just look at the athletes the Roane County schools have produced in comparison.

Ok Ok, I've been pretty hard on the Wartburg team so here is I suppose a compliment. I'm hearing from the land of blue and white that the lady dogs lost in their scrimmage against york by 11. Was told that the score was 65 to 54. I'm wondering if they stopped the clock or if they ran it. I will have to say if it was a running clock then I'm almost impressed with the number of points that were scored by both teams.

All things aside I think York is a very good program in AA.

Now, that said the person I talked to felt like the team would have won if the coach hadn't substituted so much. She said that it was a revolving door at every dead ball.

Didn't get any info on who led the team in stats or anything.

Anybody have any info?

York did look like a very good team to me. They made a ton of three point shots. I thought the wartburg team looked a little nervous. But the team played very hard and hung with the York team pretty well.

SDO it was running clock so both teams could have easily reached 70 points. It was fun to see the teams push the ball and run like that. York played about 7 kids and wartburg played something like 18 girls in the Varsity game. I'm also pretty sure that the team would have done much better and maybe even won had the subs been held down a bit. But, that's just how Jason is he always plays scrimmages like that.

My only negative and I want to start this with a disclaimer that I really like the direction that the team is headed and coach davis, but it was in many ways typical Jason to a fault. He was stubborn when the defense they were in wasn't working and instead of changing up he forced them to keep playing it. I would have just ran something else.

I guess he was just wanting the girls to play through it and fix it. I'm sure he had a reason for it!