Band's effect on the game

BandDawg

For anyone who witnessed the game Friday between Smyrna and Lavergne, you must have noticed the difference in procedure between the two bands. When Lavergne had the ball, Smyrna's band played continually causing a distraction for the lavergne offense. In fact, on Lavergne's last drive, the Smyrna band was directly responsible for two penalties including a delay of game and an illegal procedure. This alone added TEN yards to the FG which was eventually missed. The Lavergne band on the other hand had ample opportunity throughout the game to distract Smyrna's offense, especially when the game was played on their end of the field, yet the were SILENT. This post is not meant to stir up debate on the better band, but rather to point out a good reason why Smyrna won.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who witnessed the game Friday between Smyrna and Lavergne, you must have noticed the difference in procedure between the two bands. When Lavergne had the ball, Smyrna's band played continually causing a distraction for the lavergne offense. In fact, on Lavergne's last drive, the Smyrna band was directly responsible for two penalties including a delay of game and an illegal procedure. This alone added TEN yards to the FG which was eventually missed. The Lavergne band on the other hand had ample opportunity throughout the game to distract Smyrna's offense, especially when the game was played on their end of the field, yet the were SILENT. This post is not meant to stir up debate on the better band, but rather to point out a good reason why Smyrna won.

wow what a baby. It is the QB's responsibility for a delay of game. Is everyone suppose to quiet down when your team has the ball?????? Its a freaking football game there are going to be alot of distractions. I like the band just as much as you ( look around on the band board an you will see) but dont blame noise on the band.

wow what a baby. It is the QB's responsibility for a delay of game. Is everyone suppose to quiet down when your team has the ball?????? Its a freaking football game there are going to be alot of distractions. I like the band just as much as you ( look around on the band board an you will see) but dont blame noise on the band.

I agree with you there KEV-O. Look at how the fans pep up to make more noise when it is 3rd down and trying to get the 1st down. NFL, college, high school or whatever, the more band or crowd support the better. That is why it is very good to have your crowd get in to it and show up to support their favorite team. The team should know what to do and the guys should know where that ball is without hearing the cadence of the QB. Eye contact!!!!! We were accused of this same thing last year when our band played louder at certain times. Hint, hint (THE TRAIN) at Forrest High School. What excuses sore losers have. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

O.K. you guys need to learn how to read. Look at my screen name. It is Band DAWG. Duh I wasn't complaining about Smyrna's band, I was praising them. The Smyrna band was directly responsible for helping to lengthen that FG. I wanted to ask people from Lavergne why their band didn't play while SHS had the ball. Come on learn to read.

O.K. you guys need to learn how to read. Look at my screen name. It is Band DAWG. Duh I wasn't complaining about Smyrna's band, I was praising them. The Smyrna band was directly responsible for helping to lengthen that FG. I wanted to ask people from Lavergne why their band didn't play while SHS had the ball. Come on learn to read.

o /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> most of the time people are crying cuz the band played my bad.

I'm not from Lavergne so I don't know the reasons behind their band not playing. I do know what I have been told by a band director - the band is only suppose to play when their team has the ball. If your team has the ball more than your band plays more. Time outs are a free for all. Also I have been told that once a band starts playing during a time out, the other band is suppose to wait until they stop before they begin playing. I guess its some kind of band etiquette

I think the band can have as much affect on the game as the crowd itself. If they want to get into the game, then let them showing good sportsmanship and representing their school with class. Plus, football games are supposed to be loud!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I'm all for the band playing during plays (at a reasonable volume) and between plays. I also think it's kind of stupid for bands to be silent during football games and not cheer. That's partly the band director's fault not allowing the kids to support the team, just sitting there and looking dead. I went through the same thing with my band director in high school, but I cheered anyway. Our football team was really good so why not. In my opinion, I think football is an exception. It's free game during timeouts and between quarters. The only kind of "band etiquette" I know of is for basketball when pep bands share playing time during pregame and halftime.

Every band director has his/her own idea of etiquette at a game. Some alternate songs with the other band, some ignore the other band completely and play whenever they'd like, still others like to compete back and forth across the field during the game to try and one-up each other. It's all in good fun. The standing rule of thumb is that a band should limit it's playing to when it's own team is on offense or when the ball is not in play. There are actually rules in the TSSAA handbook regarding "organized noisemakers" that allow an opposing coach to ask the ref to silence a band during the game. It is at the refs discretion after a warning to decide whether to assess a penalty for further playing. The only time a team will be penalized because of the band is if the band is playing during the snap of the opponents offensive possession. Regarding the initial post, if Smyrna band was that distracting, the Lavergne coaches simply needed to ask the refs to quiet the band. If the band refused to stop, the refs could assess penalty yards.

I'm of mixed feelings about this. I personally feel like the team should get over themselves.... if the band is too much of a distraction, maybe the team is not good enough to begin with. I do understand the rules, however. I give the band credit for being a force in the game, and if the ref or opposing coach don't say anything, play on!

I'm of mixed feelings about this. I personally feel like the team should get over themselves.... if the band is too much of a distraction, maybe the team is not good enough to begin with. I do understand the rules, however. I give the band credit for being a force in the game, and if the ref or opposing coach don't say anything, play on!

I agree! I think football teams should already know that there is going to be noise. Better yet, prepare for it during football practice. Get some loud speakers to play crowd noise and run your plays; I bet many college teams do this. Like I said before, football games are supposed to be loud.

Every band director has his/her own idea of etiquette at a game. Some alternate songs with the other band, some ignore the other band completely and play whenever they'd like, still others like to compete back and forth across the field during the game to try and one-up each other. It's all in good fun. The standing rule of thumb is that a band should limit it's playing to when it's own team is on offense or when the ball is not in play. There are actually rules in the TSSAA handbook regarding "organized noisemakers" that allow an opposing coach to ask the ref to silence a band during the game. It is at the refs discretion after a warning to decide whether to assess a penalty for further playing. The only time a team will be penalized because of the band is if the band is playing during the snap of the opponents offensive possession. Regarding the initial post, if Smyrna band was that distracting, the Lavergne coaches simply needed to ask the refs to quiet the band. If the band refused to stop, the refs could assess penalty yards.

This post says it all but I still hate that dang Train Thing......... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This post says it all but I still hate that dang Train Thing......... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Choo, Choo for the Cascade Express!!!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> In fun!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />