opinions on MJ basketball

mjbear12

Posted by answerking:

Sure, Valvano's 83 team did fantastic things, but how many others have?

And again, I have to point out that they had two players who stuck around in the NBA for a while, one of which played almost a thousand games. They had more talent than the average college basketball team, they just didn't have the talent of a Louisville, a Houston, a UNC, etc. that year.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay mr king(dearing)that is your opinion about mt juliet basketball. if you think the team had no talent to work with fine. but you ask any of the players on that team last year they would probably disagree with you, especially from the ones i have talked to. but many people not just me in mt juliet and in other counties who came to watch believe that the team could have 500 ball and probably a little more. i just hate when a coach comes out and says that the team he coached had no talent and they were lucky just to win 6 games that year.

okay answerking, dearing shouldnt have takin the job if he couldnt handle a little complaining from the parents, it always happens and he knew it would.. and stop makin excuses for your or anybodys bad coaching by sayin that its all about talent and no coaching. look at the mj's freshman team last year.. there was alot of talent but we had no coaching and thats why we didnt win.. its not all about talent.

I DON'T REALLY WANT TO ENTER IN TO THIS BLOOD BATH OF WORDS, I'M JUST GOING TO OFFER MY OPPINION LIKE THE THREAD SAYS. THIS YEARS TEAM SHOULD BE BETTER. NOT BECAUSE OF COACHING OR A NEW PLAYER. I THINK LAST YEARS TEAM WAS JUST TOO INEXPERIENCED. THE PREVIOUS YEAR THE TEAM GRADUATED WHAT 7 OR 8 SENIORS. LOST A BIG CHUNK OF THE STUDENT BODY TO WILSON CENTRAL. THESE TO THINGS CARRY A LOT WEIGHT. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE.

I THINK THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. FOUR YEARS AGO MAPLEWOOD WENT TO THE STATE. THEY GRADUATED FOUR STARTERS. THE NEXT YEAR THEY WERE 9-15 PLAYING PREDOMINANTLY SOPHMORESS (NO ONE WAS AFTER COACH GAMBLES HEAD). THE NEXT TWO YEARS THEY WERE IN THE STATE. I DON'T LOOK FOR M.J. TO MAKE IT TO THE STATE THIS YEAR BUT HOPEFULLY I HAVE MADE A POINT. :rolleyes:

CoachF, finally a response the shows some thinking. Marlowe, I am not Dearing, but I do know him, and I know your father too...does he know how little he has taught you? Winning at the highest level is all about talent...yes, sometimes there are teams that at the right time rise above their ability level, but that is rare...yes, a coach can set the tone and get the fires burning, but the talent must be there. Dearing knew exactly what he was getting into...Bell told him the talent was down, but he would be supported...that, my little friend, is a fact. But it really doesnt look like he was supported, does it? Thats my whole point I've made over and over, but you just can't seem to comprehend, you people have to get behind a coach and support him. As soon as things start looking bad, many of you jump on the coaches back and try to figure out how to get rid of him. You can call it talent, maturity, or coaching...but when your teams lose, Mt. Juliet blames the coach...evidently the guy that you just hired either really needed a job, or he didnt ask any good questions at his interview, or he was just flat out lied too. No self respecting coach would take that job after what was done to the previous coach. Keep your pencils sharp Marlowe, that seems to be the only way you can contribute. Your knowledge is lacking, maybe from poor coaching, or lack of maturity, or lack of talent. I think I know which one you will blame. Really, you dont know what went on, and you are embarrassing yourself. If you people had stood behind Dearing the way your are standing behind your incorrect assumptions, then you might have had a better year. If this kind of thinking continues, the only way you will ever have a successful season is if Memphis relocates to Wilson county...then you will see real talent and real basketball. There are middle schools there that will beat your brains out. Must be all those great coaches they have there, since coaching counts for so much.

hey answerking,

I agree with you one-hundred percent, when it comes to the fact that Mount Juliet did not stand behind Dearing. He deserved better in my opinion, however, so did Coach Winfree. When Coach Bell began coaching at MJ he did not have much talent nor did he win, but the faculty and the community stood behind him. They did this because they had not been accustomed to winning. They are now! This is greatly related to the fact that they stood behind Coach Bell when he was losing, he then in return showed them winning. The same is true with all of MJ's sports. The MJ football program was very successful a few years ago, the most successful team in school history was under the controls of Coach Winfree in his first year at MJ, if his being fired does not show that there must be something wrong with MJ support than I do not know what is. The new basketball coach I hear is very qualified and doing well so far, he has the players, the community, and the faculty, believing he is going to show them a winning team.

Guest BluSdime

I believe Coach Deering has an abundant amount of knowledge about the game. However, I also get that feeling that he lacked approachment in his coaching. He had a strong off the court relationship with his players and went to work for them. He just didn't explore the potential talent and wore his team out by riding the shoulders of his two strong players. This factor calculates in with the obvious others like the schools splitting and the team's missing experience to cause a poor season. Answerking it may be true summer league isn't for building records, but that carries over for the Bears. This team was just trying to get use to the idea of 5 players getting involved and beating teams like Science Hill by 28 pts is an accomplishment worth noting. You might also note the success of the new team play as they beat team after team 2x their size. Most teams don't play with a 6'3 or 6'4 centers. Relying on their new team member (6'7) would be a step towards last year, but I think it my open chances for players to step into their natural positions. Only the months of winter will tell, but I expect MJ to be a team to suprise you answerking.

Once again you guys try to slam me for my opinion and end up proving exactly what my point is. You all need to go back and read my posts. I have wished nothing but the best for Mt J, and have pointed out where improvements need to be made, and all you people can do is kill the messenger. Thats my whole point about athletics there. I gave my opinion, and got jumped for it. That doesnt bother me, it only goes to show the character of the people that are involved in bbabll in Mt. J. There is a complete lack of maturity there, and a lack of basketball knowledge. Almost every parent that watched their kid growing up playing league basketball think they know basketball, and almost every kid thinks they should be a starter and can be the star. It just doesnt work that way...sorry folks. And for me to be able to get you so riled up, on a message board for goodness sake, shows why it is so easy to get inside your heads and beat you. The word on Mt. J basketball is that there is no mental toughness and once you are rattled, you are beat. You have done nothing but provide further evidence that what everyone outside of Wilson Co. says is true.

As for you Sh3pperd, I am no where near 40 yrs old...I have risen in my profession very fast, and there is nothing any high school kids can hand me...I work out at Gaines fitness in Hermitage...you can come any evening and spot me the next time I 2 rep 405 on bench like I did last month. But you're Mt. J educated, so I dont think I'll trust your spotting ability. I only max 2 times a year, but for you I'll make an exception, so you will shut your scrawny little pie hole up.

By the way...and I will intentionally leave the sign on name incomplete, so you will know who I mean, but others wont, but is MJBea... still living outside your school zone, and outside your county? Oops, hope the new coach knows that.

well answerking---"coach"--whatever your called now---i had totally repected everything you had said until now---why do you care where im located?? what difference does it make to you--and yes ive been in mj's school zone all year so next time know what your talkin about before you make your comments---and the funny thing is you keep denying who you are--but heres the funny thing---only the people on our team and "coach" knew my location--and the other funny thing is if you rep 405 2 times and you only max twice a year----i distinctly remember my old "coach" saying something about only maxing twice and i remember my old "coach" being fully capable of doing 405 twice--as i said i respected what you have been saying but trying to start things where there is nothing is the last thing i expected out of my old "coac" i mean out of answerking

"As for you Sh3pperd, I am no where near 40 yrs old...I have risen in my profession very fast, and there is nothing any high school kids can hand me...I work out at Gaines fitness in Hermitage...you can come any evening and spot me the next time I 2 rep 405 on bench like I did last month. But you're Mt. J educated, so I dont think I'll trust your spotting ability. I only max 2 times a year, but for you I'll make an exception, so you will shut your scrawny little pie hole up."

i dont care what you think you can rep.. you could be freakin john claude van dam for i care.. and what kind of profession might you be in? ummm.. maybe sittin all day in the unemployment office beggin for money..i mean it cant be all that hard or time consuming since you spend so much time hitting the weights right?