The Next Coach At Hoover, Alabama is.......

Alabama

Hoover is a big, big-time program. I imagine they will have a list of highly qualified candidates that have proven themselves at the top level. Quarles is obviously a good coach but he hasn't proven he can win every week against schools in the top classifications since they play a predominately 4A schedule.. I don't think Hoover will have to gamble that he could translate his success in Tennessee's 4A to Alabama's 6A. That really is a huge jump to having to play those type teams every week and being expected to win them all.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to see him leave though.

Do you even watch Alabama 6A football? I do, every week. As a Hoover resident (former Knoxvillian) who is closely associated with Mountain Brook, I can tell you that Maryville would have no trouble competing in 6A down here. None. I'd bet that if Fulton, Alcoa and Maryville came into the region that Hoover plays in, they would have finished 1-2-3. The team that won the Region (Vestavia Hills) is similar to Knoxville West.

I don't think that making an assumption from 200 miles away based on what you've seen on MTV is a good idea.

I have to disagree hosak. I have seen my share of bama high school football (as well as many other states)and they are a level above Tennessee. Tennessee, not having the state income tax, has much less money to spend on coaches, teahers, and athletics. Now Tennessee has programs like Maryville, DB, etc that have a large private financial backing, but on the average, this is a big minus for Tennessee football. As a whole, Alabama has more major recruits and the game is played at a pace which is a step above Tennessee High School ball. Surrounding states that have a high level of football include, bama, Georgia, MS, SC, and NC. It is easy even for me to watch say two of the best teams in Florida (who would wax any Tennessee team) and think that Maryville, MBA, or Brentwood Academey would compete. I have seen some of the better teams from Ohio that have say 400 kids that could play and beat anyone in Tennessee. Tennessee has very average high school ball as compared to the rest of the nation, but it is getting better.

You Said

I'd bet that if Fulton, Alcoa and Maryville came into the region that Hoover plays in, they would have finished 1-2-3

I say that Alcoa and Fulton would be at the bottom. Maryville would be in the top 4. These teams are not Knox Central, Halls, WB, Alcoa, West, etc. These teams would mop the floor in Knoxville.

I have to disagree hosak. I have seen my share of bama high school football (as well as many other states)and they are a level above Tennessee. Tennessee, not having the state income tax, has much less money to spend on coaches, teahers, and athletices. Now Tennessee has programs like Maryville, DB, etc that have a large private financial backing, but on the average, this is a big minus for Tennessee football. As a whole, Alabama has more major recruits and the game is played at a pace which is a step above Tennessee High School ball. Surrounding states that have a high level of football include, bama, Georgia, MS, SC, and NC. It is easy even for me to watch say two of the best teams in Florida (who would wax any Tennessee team) and think that Maryville, MBA, or Brentwood Academey would compete. I have seen some of the better teams from Ohio that have say 400 kids that could play and beat anyone in Tennessee. Tennessee has very average high school ball as compared to the rest of the nation, but it is getting better.

Dang BUD, why do't ya tell us how you really feal?

Don't get me wrong, I love TN football and especially DB. However, TN has a long way to go to catch up with some of the other states. Our best teams are like middle of the road for them. TN needs to turn it up a notch. It even shows in the way UT recruits. Bama, MS, and SC all have less people (population) yet better high school ball. These state produce more talent and it is a direct reflection of the level of play on each respective state's high school ball.

I would love to see the day TN high school ball has a higher percentage of college potential and teams that could play with GA, Florida, and California. At this time TN is far behind though.

I have to disagree hosak. I have seen my share of bama high school football (as well as many other states)and they are a level above Tennessee. Tennessee, not having the state income tax, has much less money to spend on coaches, teahers, and athletics. Now Tennessee has programs like Maryville, DB, etc that have a large private financial backing, but on the average, this is a big minus for Tennessee football. As a whole, Alabama has more major recruits and the game is played at a pace which is a step above Tennessee High School ball. Surrounding states that have a high level of football include, bama, Georgia, MS, SC, and NC. It is easy even for me to watch say two of the best teams in Florida (who would wax any Tennessee team) and think that Maryville, MBA, or Brentwood Academey would compete. I have seen some of the better teams from Ohio that have say 400 kids that could play and beat anyone in Tennessee. Tennessee has very average high school ball as compared to the rest of the nation, but it is getting better.

You Said

I'd bet that if Fulton, Alcoa and Maryville came into the region that Hoover plays in, they would have finished 1-2-3

I say that Alcoa and Fulton would be at the bottom. Maryville would be in the top 4. These teams are not Knox Central, Halls, WB, Alcoa, West, etc. These teams would mop the floor in Knoxville.

Bud... I never said that these teams were Central or Halls. I don't question that Central and Halls could not compete in 6A here. But, I stand by what I said. I have watched 6A football in Alabama up close every week this year, and I am not overly impressed. I have yet to see one team that could match Alcoa or Fulton for team speed. In fact, the speed in this region is pretty laughable.

Vestavia Hills simply is not that good a team. Spain Park is pretty good. Hoover is okay, though they were down a bit this year. Mountain Brook did not impress me at all until Morgan Ogilvie got healthy, and at that point, they became a different team. Still, if you were to send down Alcoa, Fulton, Maryville, Catholic, and even Farragut, those teams would line up well in this region. Maybe not year in and year out, but this year they would. Sure, there are guys here who are Division 1 recruits, but the TEAMS have not been overly impressive.

Now, Prattville is probably a different story. Maryville would likely lose to them. However, anyone who thinks that Maryville couldn't come down and compete in this classification is fooling themselves. Same for Alcoa and Fulton. None of them would be playing for their 3rd consecutive titles, but all would be playoff contenders.

Don't get me wrong, I love TN football and especially DB. However, TN has a long way to go to catch up with some of the other states. Our best teams are like middle of the road for them. TN needs to turn it up a notch. It even shows in the way UT recruits. Bama, MS, and SC all have less people (population) yet better high school ball. These state produce more talent and it is a direct reflection of the level of play on each respective state's high school ball.

I would love to see the day TN high school ball has a higher percentage of college potential and teams that could play with GA, Florida, and California. At this time TN is far behind though.

For the record, I never stated that TN football is on the same level as AL football on the whole. I am merely pointing out that the elite teams in TN could compete in 6A here. That is all.

I have watched Mtn Brook absolutely destroy inner city teams with better athletes because of poor coaching. That said, they would not enjoy that clear advantage against Gary, Buck, or George.

Again, AL high school football probably is a level above TN high school football. I'm just not so sure that the elite teams in TN would be "middle of the pack", as you describe.

Prattville is a somthing else are they not? I don't know for 100% sure hosak, but based on the money, the amount of talent TN puts out, etc; it is just hard to think that TN ball could be a constant contender there. I have seen some good out of state teams play and thought that a DB, Maryville, MBA, BA, etc could play them tough. It is hard to know. One of the most boring and unimpressive games I ever saw was a Brentwood vs Ravenwood game a couple or few years ago. It was so boring and slow (team speed seemed that way to me) that I was ready to leave. I think there was maybe 3 scores. However, Ravenwood went on to win the gold ball and I could have sworn it was a senior citizens game out there. Boring as heck, but they played good assignment football and it worked.

Prattville is a somthing else are they not? I don't know for 100% sure hosak, but based on the money, the amount of talent TN puts out, etc; it is just hard to think that TN ball could be a constant contender there. I have seen some good out of state teams play and thought that a DB, Maryville, MBA, BA, etc could play them tough. It is hard to know. One of the most boring and unimpressive games I ever saw was a Brentwood vs Ravenwood game a couple or few years ago. It was so boring and slow (team speed seemed that way to me) that I was ready to leave. I think there was maybe 3 scores. However, Ravenwood went on to win the gold ball and I could have sworn it was a senior citizens game out there. Boring as heck, but they played good assignment football and it worked.

Yeah, Prattville is very good. I do think that they'd win in any classification in TN this year. I don't think Spain Park stays within 3 TD's of them, though this entire region has surpised me a bit during the playoffs.

ON another note... I am not at all impressed with Tyler Love. I have no idea how Rivals has him ranked as the #21 overall prospect in America this year. I like Tyler as a kid, but I have not seen anything other than his size that would lead me to think he is an elite prospect. Against Tuscaloosa County, he had no answers for Sewell, who blew past him on at least 4 plays that I counted. Against Homewood, I watched a series in which he was beaten twice by the DE on an outside speed rush, once to the inside on a nifty little twist, and he completely whiffed on a block on a screen play. Mtn Brook probably ran the ball AWAY from his side 70% of the time.

Again, he is a great kid.. intelligent, polite, and extremely likeable. Just not sure he's truly an elite prospect. Size and agility count for something, though, and with good coaching, he has a chance to develop. But, I've seen nothing more than the same talent I saw in the Bruhin's at Powell.

Man don't get me started on bogus ranking services scout, rival, etc. I think those guys have done more bad than good. Colleges put so much stock in their predictions and sometimes the product is a kid that had parents who can send him to a camp and he has a good workout. That type of performance does not always translate well on a football field though. I think Notre Dame and UT may have felt the impact of some of the bogus ratings.

Man don't get me started on bogus ranking services scout, rival, etc. I think those guys have done more bad than good. Colleges put so much stock in their predictions and sometimes the product is a kid that had parents who can send him to a camp and he has a good workout. That type of performance does not always translate well on a football field though. I think Notre Dame and UT may have felt the impact of some of the bogus ratings.

Yeah, that happens sometimes.

On a totally unrelated (to our discussion, though completely applicable to this thread) note, what about Graham Clark to Hoover?

I know, I know, he's happy in Kingsport.... just trying to get a rise out of you! But, hey, it's no more far fetched than some of the other names being thrown out there.

I think GC does a good job for what he has. I think Maryville understands that DB is the best team in upper east tn year in and year out. It is amazing though the difference in talent as compared to upper east tn and to Knoxville. THat is just how it is though. Knoxville and the rest of the state seem to have more talent. However, DB counters that with depth (100) strong and good solid coaching. However,a team like ooltewah for instance can have 40 players and much more talent. GC has many players, but the with the talent he has (which I consider less than the Knox area) he does a great job.