The Next Coach At Hoover, Alabama is.......

Alabama

Don't get me wrong, I love TN football and especially DB. However, TN has a long way to go to catch up with some of the other states. Our best teams are like middle of the road for them. TN needs to turn it up a notch. It even shows in the way UT recruits. Bama, MS, and SC all have less people (population) yet better high school ball. These state produce more talent and it is a direct reflection of the level of play on each respective state's high school ball.

I would love to see the day TN high school ball has a higher percentage of college potential and teams that could play with GA, Florida, and California. At this time TN is far behind though.

Bud I would agree with you if it was 10 to 15 years ago I lived in FL for 8 years and MS for three and being a hs fball fan I went to alot of games and most of the teams I watched play made TN look like jr high teams back then but now days I really think TN hs fball has closed the gap. There are several teams in TN I think could play with anyone in the country.

I think GC does a good job for what he has. I think Maryville understands that DB is the best team in upper east tn year in and year out. It is amazing though the difference in talent as compared to upper east tn and to Knoxville. THat is just how it is though. Knoxville and the rest of the state seem to have more talent. However, DB counters that with depth (100) strong and good solid coaching. However,a team like ooltewah for instance can have 40 players and much more talent. GC has many players, but the with the talent he has (which I consider less than the Knox area) he does a great job.

I don't know that I agree with this. Graham has his fair share of athletes, or at least he did when I lived there in 2000. Truth is, DB has the majority of the good athletes in that area year in and year out.

Just for the record. Ken Sparks successor is already at Carson Newman. Carl Torbush was brought in as Assistant Head Coach last year. If you don't remember Torbush he is the former Head Coach at North Carolina and Louisiana Tech, he has also been Defensive Coordinator at Texas A&M, North Carolina, and Alabama. He was hand chosen by Sparks to be his successor.

I doubt George Quarles will leave MHS at least until his kids are grown up and off to college. This is a great place to raise kids, and GQ is still a relatively young guy. He'll probably get a lot of opportunities in another 20 years, and much better ones to boot.

And anyway, as much of an offensive genius as GQ has been, he's not really the only reason behind Maryville's success the last 10 years. Offensive line guru David Ellis is as much responsible for that success, especially this year, and our defense has always relied on Coach Jim Gaylor as well. The three of them make a very, very good Maryville coaching staff, and they will probably continue the winning tradition when they all move up to 5A. Especially as Gaylor is pretty familiar with 5A schools if I'm not mistaken, as a former Clinton head coach (back when they were still in 5A and actually good).

I wouldn't be too surprised if Maryville continues winning in 5A like they have been in 4A. Anybody remember when Maryville played defending 5A champion, Red Bank, who had Gerald Riggs Jr., in the 4A playoffs the following year? Everybody thought it would be a great game. It ended up being a lopsided win in Maryville's favor.

Maryville will do just as well in 5A if they retain their coaching staff.

• 12 years later...
On 10/31/2007 at 5:25 PM, REBELRON said:

George Quarles will never leave Maryville for another high school job. He turned down Brentwood Academy. I believe if George leaves Maryville it will be for a college job. I worry about George leaving for Carson Newman when Ken Sparks leaves. George will never go to Alabama because he wants his family at his games. Every week his Mom,Dad,Sister,Brother n Law,Wife and Son are at every Maryville game.

100% correct!