What coaching changes are we looking at this year?

lcfootball

Please describe what his no nonsense approach is. That is not how I would decribe his method or approach! and do you fear losing the "great one"?

I was referring more to how he handles his players. He doesn't take any b/s from them and it's very clear who's team it is when he is on the field....he has turned a program around that was once the laughing stock of the state. Granted Coffee County isn't winning state championships or even playoff games, but it is winning games and that's a dramatic improvement. But if he were to leave I'm confident with the shape the program is in and the direction it is headed then we will find a more than capable head coach.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By a win, yes

And I think a simple playoff berth would be good enough for now

Is that the only way you judge improvement, wins? A playoff berth would be good enough for now? Let's be honest here, SD has never had an illustrious playoff history even when they played in a less competitive region. What happens after SD makes a playoff? You going to be ready to get rid of your coach if he doesn`t make the state championship in a few years? I`ll tell you this, if Coach Hutch does leave there(either by his own choice, or not) there will be no shortage of schools willing to have his services. I know for a fact that a large number McMinn Co fans were sorry to see him go. Personally I think SD is lucky to have Coach Hutch, because there were better programs than the one his now runs that wanted his services after he left McMinn Co.

But hey, you never know what you have till its gone, so guess thats a lesson that has yet to be learned at SD.

Is that the only way you judge improvement, wins? A playoff berth would be good enough for now? Let's be honest here, SD has never had an illustrious playoff history even when they played in a less competitive region. What happens after SD makes a playoff? You going to be ready to get rid of your coach if he doesn`t make the state championship in a few years? I`ll tell you this, if Coach Hutch does leave there(either by his own choice, or not) there will be no shortage of schools willing to have his services. I know for a fact that a large number McMinn Co fans were sorry to see him go. Personally I think SD is lucky to have Coach Hutch, because there were better programs than the one his now runs that wanted his services after he left McMinn Co.

But hey, you never know what you have till its gone, so guess thats a lesson that has yet to be learned at SD.

Isn't Hutchins from Jefferson Cty?

If there is going to be a change, regardless of who pulls the trigger, I'd like it to happen soon so coaches can start applying. You would like to have a new staff in place well before spring practice.

The cutoff date for the retirement package is Feb. So it could be awhile. But I agree if it is going to happen I would prefer sooner than later.

Lassiter has coached for 10 years at Gallatin. Record of 68-44, 3 region championships but a playoff record of 4-8.

Also 4 losing seasons which used to be unheard of. Gallatin has exited the playoffs in the first round in 98',99',04',06' and 07'.

The new lights were installed due to a tornado (not the big one). Lassiter was responsible for the new coaching offices and weightroom. Which are now paid off.

The cutoff date for the retirement package is Feb. So it could be awhile. But I agree if it is going to happen I would prefer sooner than later.

Lassiter has coached for 10 years at Gallatin. Record of 68-44, 3 region championships but a playoff record of 4-8.

Also 4 losing seasons which used to be unheard of. Gallatin has exited the playoffs in the first round in 98',99',04',06' and 07'.

The new lights were installed due to a tornado (not the big one). Lassiter was responsible for the new coaching offices and weightroom. Which are now paid off.

Let us not forget the TWO undefeated teams that got ousted in the first round. AND the season thrown out the window for the sake of letting some Nashville kid be the third string quarterback.

But let me be frank for a moment. THis year's lack of success is not totally the head coaches fault. You are going to have years were the talent just isnt there, and this was one of those years. But the weird-for lack of a better word-decision making his staff has made this year, and others, is what makes me lean towards 'moving on'.

Isn't Hutchins from Jefferson Cty?

Yes he is

What else am I supposed to base improvement on, losses? I wouldn't want Hutchins to be fired if he made the playoffs. I really don't want him to be fired now, but I was merely suggesting that SD might be looking for canidates right now or next year.

How else are you suppose to judge improvement? How about the play on the field? Is the team playing better week to week and season to season, are you more competitive now than you were before, is there more excitement around the program and are more players coming out now than before, are there signs that you can be a playoff team, is there light at the end of the tunnel? There are a lot of ways to see improvement other than wins a losses. You don`t go from 0-10 to the playoffs in a region like that overnight. I know this, SD is competitive in a lot more games now than before, and like I said earlier SD was not very far from 6 wins this season.

According to the Newport paper Coach Crawford has resigned at Cocke County.

Some sources say he was going to be fired and had to a certain day to submit his resignation. I hope this is a good thing for Cocke County. I cannot see how you can NOT improve off two 1-9 seasons. I hear there is no empahsis on the freshman teams there, cancelling JV games because Crawford didn't want his younger son to play, and problems with the parents, and some coaches never coming to practice.

I hope they can find someone that can help them rebuild that program. I know in back in the mid 90's they really took it to our program at their place. Early in the fall I commented about some of the things I had heard about this program. I heard this football team NEVER went live, HIT, or tackled in practice. I also heard that they didn't have conditioning for the players, meaning that they never ran in practice. I heard that they had a coach that coached at Tennessee and Mississippi State, but the head guy didn't allow him to assist or basically wouldnt listen. I also heard that there was a guy in town who used to work for some NFL teams, the Bucs, and the coach told the players that doing agility and conditioning through that guy was a waste of their time and that they would never get better. I dunno, but if these two individuals were around my football program, I would be kissing their tails after going 1-9.

I actually saw this team actually play vs. Crockett and I have never seen a high school team run plays to the short side of the field. I have over 15 years of coaching experience and when you run a twins set to the short side of the field and actually throw the ball in the flats??? Talk about WOW! They just got flat out punished in the Crockett game and looked like their team was in poor shape and they also had a few players go down with injury.

I hope the current players can put the past in the past and forge on! I wanted to respond tho this thread, because I have heard a lot of things coming out of Newport and whether they are true or not, something is going on down there that wasn't right. Good luck to Newport in search of a new coach!