What coaching changes are we looking at this year?

lcfootball

Lassiter is NOT going anywhere. No change at Gallatin. The rumors can stop.

Don't be so sure Wave88. Rufus and Robert have been at odds all year and there are alot of people besides myself that are hearing Robert may have had enough. This was a tough year for him not just because of the talent level. Fan support is waining and many of the longtime supporters don't think he is getting it done. Rufus on the other hand is not in the greatest of health and has had to take some sick leave due to high blood pressure. And if he continues to make overtures about moving that stadium to the high school it will only get worse. NOBODY!! wants that stadium moved!! Fixed up yes, moved NO!!

From what I am hearing neither one of these Lassiter boys are what Gallatin football needs. That retirement plan will not be offered for another 5 years. It would be very smart to seriously think about taking it. If one stays or both stay then so be it. I support the program but lack of success is starting to show in attendance. Gallatin football needs a good shot in the arm. Home grown or not. This program has way too many postives that would draw a good coach. Personally I like Lassiter he is a good guy. Unfortunately his long hours of work are not paying dividends on the field. It would be different if we did not play in such a weak region. And I have a feeling that in 2 years we are going to be placed in a very different surrounding. Mediocrity could become worse without a change.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont know enough to say if lassister is a good coach or not however after seeing gallatin play smyrna this year

I can say Gallatin just did not have the talent this year. They had 2 or 3 good players and the rest were average at best and there was an obvious drop off in team speed ( they looked more like a region 3 team). Once Smyrna realized about 90% of their offense was the qb dropping back and running they adjuted by spying him. Gallatin didn't have anything else to go with after that.

now I will say of covering wilkes one on one

1st td - he proved he can go get the ball we were in good position

2nd td - we had him covered he just made a great catch

3rd td - coaches mistake in not making adjustments

well i played there during his first year so ill compare what you have heard to what I know...we did go live in practice but the D was told to let us get a look so I guess it realyl wasn't going live, we did plently of tackling drills but it was mostly half speed technique stuff, and we did running in practice during camp at the first of the season but during the regular season we didn't do any extra conditioning.....coach styles was a coach at UT he came a year after i left so I dont know much about him but I kno that crawford doesn't take advice from other coaches....the part about the agility and condition guy is true which is sad cause that could help a lot...he is also a terrible playcaller and the other team can pretty much know what we are going to run and did in some games....with all the negative stuff said he does seem to care about the kids and helping them become better people but is just not a good coach and i wish we would have gotten at least a descent coach while I was there.....but good luck to all the current and future players at cocke county....and also put a whole lot more emphasis on freshman and jv because they have been terrible the last few years

Some sources say he was going to be fired and had to a certain day to submit his resignation. I hope this is a good thing for Cocke County. I cannot see how you can NOT improve off two 1-9 seasons. I hear there is no empahsis on the freshman teams there, cancelling JV games because Crawford didn't want his younger son to play, and problems with the parents, and some coaches never coming to practice.

I hope they can find someone that can help them rebuild that program. I know in back in the mid 90's they really took it to our program at their place. Early in the fall I commented about some of the things I had heard about this program. I heard this football team NEVER went live, HIT, or tackled in practice. I also heard that they didn't have conditioning for the players, meaning that they never ran in practice. I heard that they had a coach that coached at Tennessee and Mississippi State, but the head guy didn't allow him to assist or basically wouldnt listen. I also heard that there was a guy in town who used to work for some NFL teams, the Bucs, and the coach told the players that doing agility and conditioning through that guy was a waste of their time and that they would never get better. I dunno, but if these two individuals were around my football program, I would be kissing their tails after going 1-9.

I actually saw this team actually play vs. Crockett and I have never seen a high school team run plays to the short side of the field. I have over 15 years of coaching experience and when you run a twins set to the short side of the field and actually throw the ball in the flats??? Talk about WOW! They just got flat out punished in the Crockett game and looked like their team was in poor shape and they also had a few players go down with injury.

I hope the current players can put the past in the past and forge on! I wanted to respond tho this thread, because I have heard a lot of things coming out of Newport and whether they are true or not, something is going on down there that wasn't right. Good luck to Newport in search of a new coach!

Don't be so sure Wave88. Rufus and Robert have been at odds all year and there are alot of people besides myself that are hearing Robert may have had enough. This was a tough year for him not just because of the talent level. Fan support is waining and many of the longtime supporters don't think he is getting it done. Rufus on the other hand is not in the greatest of health and has had to take some sick leave due to high blood pressure. And if he continues to make overtures about moving that stadium to the high school it will only get worse. NOBODY!! wants that stadium moved!! Fixed up yes, moved NO!!

From what I am hearing neither one of these Lassiter boys are what Gallatin football needs. That retirement plan will not be offered for another 5 years. It would be very smart to seriously think about taking it. If one stays or both stay then so be it. I support the program but lack of success is starting to show in attendance. Gallatin football needs a good shot in the arm. Home grown or not. This program has way too many postives that would draw a good coach. Personally I like Lassiter he is a good guy. Unfortunately his long hours of work are not paying dividends on the field. It would be different if we did not play in such a weak region. And I have a feeling that in 2 years we are going to be placed in a very different surrounding. Mediocrity could become worse without a change.

You hit the nail on the head in terms of weak region. You can't come in fourth place in a region that has produced zero state champs when region 4 and 5 are winning them every year. If you are going to be gift wrapped a region championship you better win it 9/10ths of the time.

I think "mediocrity" would have been tolerable with this years talent. But this team wasn't even that. Zero wins out of conference and blowouts to Mt.Juliet, Smryna, Hunters Lane, and Independence. And what I complained about from week two on was the absence of improvement, particularly on defense. What they did poorly in week one was still poor in week 11. That falls on the coaches...period.

You hit the nail on the head in terms of weak region. You can't come in fourth place in a region that has produced zero state champs when region 4 and 5 are winning them every year. If you are going to be gift wrapped a region championship you better win it 9/10ths of the time.

I think "mediocrity" would have been tolerable with this years talent. But this team wasn't even that. Zero wins out of conference and blowouts to Mt.Juliet, Smryna, Hunters Lane, and Independence. And what I complained about from week two on was the absence of improvement, particularly on defense. What they did poorly in week one was still poor in week 11. That falls on the coaches...period.

Well folks, I don't see things being much better if any next season unless something changes. I'm not saying to change coaches nesessarily but the approach the staff takes with coaching the kids has to change. If you paid any attention to how kids run on and off the field, how some loafed getting plays in or getting to the huddle, the way they break form the huddle, their body posture before plays. There didn't appear to be any eagerness in many of the players to go knock the snot out of the other team. Many of the games I watched, I saw kids that appeared to be unsure and hesitate. I also saw them practice a couple times this year and it appeared they were just going through the motions. I even wondered why some kids were out there. Was it because their daddy and his daddy had played at Gallatin and he was expected to? I don't know the TSSAA rule that determines how you form your team but in my opinion you don't need to be there if you don't want to get after it in practice. The ones that want to be there for the right reasons need to be made to hustle, taught to tackle, taught to go 100% on every play even if it's not coming your way, to not be lazy on the line and be made TOUGHER as a team. All those things can be coached and must be coached because if GHS does get placed in a new or different region they will stay bottom dwellers if changes aren't made. Some of the teams I've heard mentioned being in a region with Gallatin will flat out light you up! I hope this year was just an anomily. Only time will tell..

Anybody want Stephens from Oak Ridge? We'll throw in a school superintendent and his asst. a package deal...cheap!

Bounder, I heard that after the Kingsport game that we were going to have a change (Stephens). This statement came from within the Football Boosters. Have you heard anything to make this a credible statement? You have to know that if Lost Old Dad would turn down a lifetime supply of ribs to boot, it is time for a change. I can think of no better barometer. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I heard the same rumor but that's probably all it is. And you may want to consider the source. The Boosters aren't in the loop with the administration either. I don't know nothin, I might even change my name to mushroom cause they keep me in the dark and feed me horse..never mind. And to be honest after the last 3 years I just don't get to excited anymore. Too much fussing,fighting and choas in the system.

Any updates on the Gallatin situation?

All I am hearing from several different sources is that no definite decision has been made. But all want to know so the program can move on in whichever direction that will be made.

All I know is that I am tired of fielding the question, "What has happened to Gallatin football?" I seem to be getting asked that alot from former players.

I heard the same rumor but that's probably all it is. And you may want to consider the source. The Boosters aren't in the loop with the administration either. I don't know nothin, I might even change my name to mushroom cause they keep me in the dark and feed me horse..never mind. And to be honest after the last 3 years I just don't get to excited anymore. Too much fussing,fighting and choas in the system.

Bounder is right, doubt anything will happen, nobody is in the loop with this administration, and if asked directly, they just point at someone else and say "its their call" and round and round and round and it seems as if they have forgotten football now and focusing on basketball (the new arena is nice, but don't forget football!!). I hope someone will step up somewhere and lead Oak Ridge Football back to where it was in 2004. 2008 will be a very tough season unless off season weight work, classroom work and a good spring practice where it can be decided on replacement of some good seniors we lost can be ironed out. Inaction will lead to disaster!!