Campbell Co. @ William Blount

This game was a surprise to many that attended Friday night. Being down only 6-0 at the half, the Cougars still had a glimmer of hope for a monumental upset. The Cougar defense played well most of the night until the lack of depth took its toll midway through the second half. If the Cougars offense could have generated any yards at all, it may have been an interesting game.

The PA man was everything he was hyped up to be - made the game more entertaining! I am very proud of the Cougar faithful that made the trip to Blount Co. - we made a lot of noise in a losing effort. With the development of some younger players, next year's Cougars team could be very good. We lose only about 5 key seniors and have alot of talented juniors and sophomores hungry for next season. The Cougars should certainly make the playoffs back-to-back, which will be huge for Campbell Co.

I guess this the the part where I should wish the Govs good luck next week at Bearden. Sorry, but I can't be a hypocrite. The Bulldogs are in our region and have a class program. In addition, their OC is a former Jacksboro Middle School coach who is a class act. The Govs coaching staff pulled an Urban Meyer on the Cougars by throwing the ball deep downfield with less than 5 minutes to go with a 21-0 lead . . . like the Gaytors, I hope the Governors get what's coming to them. Call me a sore loser, but that last drive was in poor taste with the game already decided.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game was a surprise to many that attended Friday night. Being down only 6-0 at the half, the Cougars still had a glimmer of hope for a monumental upset. The Cougar defense played well most of the night until the lack of depth took its toll midway through the second half. If the Cougars offense could have generated any yards at all, it may have been an interesting game.

VolViking, I agree with you. I thought the Cougars played very well. I was surprised how strong they were defensively in th first half. Seems they were able to key on our backs in the middle.

I also agree that the lack of depth took its toll as the game wore on. That has usually been what's happened in most

of our games .... the WB team just keeps grinding it out.

The PA man was everything he was hyped up to be - made the game more entertaining!

That's our GovMan! He is one of the best announcers that I've heard. He is very astute at calling the players involved, plus he has a very keen wit to help spice it up.

I am very proud of the Cougar faithful that made the trip to Blount Co. - we made a lot of noise in a losing effort. With the development of some younger players, next year's Cougars team could be very good. We lose only about 5 key seniors and have alot of talented juniors and sophomores hungry for next season. The Cougars should certainly make the playoffs back-to-back, which will be huge for Campbell Co.

Agreed. The CC team showed a lot of heart and I fully expect you guys to make some noise next year.

The Govs coaching staff pulled an Urban Meyer on the Cougars by throwing the ball deep downfield with less than 5 minutes to go with a 21-0 lead . . . like the Gaytors, I hope the Governors get what's coming to them. Call me a sore loser, but that last drive was in poor taste with the game already decided.

Sounds like you didn't have confidence in your team. If we were playing Heritage or Bradley, I would agree with you. But your team is in the playoffs. That means they are a quality team. If you think we are going to roll over and give it up, you are mistaken. Last night, one of the Chattanooga teams pulled their starters with about a 20+ point lead and barely won against Powell. If we were playing a push-over team, then I would agree with you; but playing a #3 seeded team, I don't.

Thanks for coming to WB. I hope you have a nice visit; it seemed like a good night for football. Hope the hospitality was good.

Hope to see you again next year!

I guess this the the part where I should wish the Govs good luck next week at Bearden. Sorry, but I can't be a hypocrite. The Bulldogs are in our region and have a class program. In addition, their OC is a former Jacksboro Middle School coach who is a class act. The Govs coaching staff pulled an Urban Meyer on the Cougars by throwing the ball deep downfield with less than 5 minutes to go with a 21-0 lead . . . like the Gaytors, I hope the Governors get what's coming to them. Call me a sore loser, but that last drive was in poor taste with the game already decided.

i wonder if this guy ever thought of this... well the WB offense didnt exactly mesh to well the first half. Its playoff time, and i need them to start peaking... not trying to be rude, but sorry your team was do by 21 points but in that situation you have to do what you have to do... the Wb coaching staff has never tried to run up the score IMO...

you do what you have to do to win... and the next game matters.. i will give you this, your defense is much better than what we have seen.. WB had to get back into sync...

The officiating crew was just plain awful. The one that got me was the facemask foul for 15 yards. Our player clearly grabbed a corner of the helmet, immediately and I mean immediately let go, and yet gets a 15 yard personal.

Plus, I cannot stand refs that want to be the center of attention when making a call. The head ref was so deliberate in his calls that he acted biased and flamboyant when he signaled the call. They should teach refs to ref the game and let the kids be the stars, not some attention-starved zebra. He had some sort of self-esteem issues.

Does anyone have the stats for the game?

Jethro, I hate to tell you the facemask foul is correct. There is no 5 yard facemask in High School. You grab it you are flagged for 15. Good luck against Bearden, if you can find it (sign is not very well lit).

Jethro, I hate to tell you the facemask foul is correct. There is no 5 yard facemask in High School. You grab it you are flagged for 15. Good luck against Bearden, if you can find it (sign is not very well lit).

Actually there is an inadvertant facemask in High school ball, that changed a few years ago.

That was the old rule. The rule changed to include inadvertent. Here is a link that I found:

http://football.refs.org/rules/NFrules2000pr.html

Here are the pertinent parts:

"The football committee of 2000 ... has revisited the safety factor dealing with head contact. The committee approved a two-tiered face mask penalty (5 and 15 yards) and then voted to make illegal head contact the point of emphasis to be used during the 2000 rules interpretation meetings with coaches and officials."

With an addition to Rule 9-4-2h Penalty, if a player merely grasps an opponent's face mask, a 5-yard penalty will be invoked. Should the player twist, turn or pull the face mask or helmet opening, a 15-yard penalty will be invoked. "After two years of experimenting with this proposed rule change, it was reported that more penalties were called and this has been attributed to the fact that officials were more inclined to penalize any grasping if they could utilize the 5-yard option," Jones said. "The committee felt that it had to reduce actions around the head and neck that are always safety concerns."

I can understand your point of view concerning the final scoring drive, but this was my perspective from high in the stands. After watching numerous drives killed by the zebras all night, I felt our best chance to take it out of their hands was with a quick strike rather that a sustained drive. I have no idea what was in the minds of those on the field, but I felt like we were scoring on the refs as opposed to the Cougars. Also, while a 21 point lead is hard to overcome in 5 minutes, I'll bet we've all seen it happen. Personally, I'd prefer that extra cushion. Anyway, I hope all the Campbell County folks enjoyed the trip south and I wish you success next year.

Go Govs!

That was the old rule. The rule changed to include inadvertent. Here is a link that I found:

http://football.refs.org/rules/NFrules2000pr.html

Here are the pertinent parts:

"The football committee of 2000 ... has revisited the safety factor dealing with head contact. The committee approved a two-tiered face mask penalty (5 and 15 yards) and then voted to make illegal head contact the point of emphasis to be used during the 2000 rules interpretation meetings with coaches and officials."

With an addition to Rule 9-4-2h Penalty, if a player merely grasps an opponent's face mask, a 5-yard penalty will be invoked. Should the player twist, turn or pull the face mask or helmet opening, a 15-yard penalty will be invoked. "After two years of experimenting with this proposed rule change, it was reported that more penalties were called and this has been attributed to the fact that officials were more inclined to penalize any grasping if they could utilize the 5-yard option," Jones said. "The committee felt that it had to reduce actions around the head and neck that are always safety concerns."

Thanks, I stand corrected. I guess when you get old you cannot remember all the rule changes.