ANOTHER UT football problem!

Bledsoebtheboys

Fulmer Dismisses LaMarcus Coker From Team

ESPN.com is reporting that he FAILED his 4TH drug test..... My goodness wouldn't you think after the 2nd you should probably dismiss him? Naw, not FAT Phil he waits until the 4th....

Not really.

UT changed their athletic dept wide drug testing policy this summer. When they did, it changed from a 3 strikes and you're out policy (which was about as tough as it goes in college sports) to a four strikes policy. In short - Fulmer couldn't have kicked him off before this.

This is pretty much conference wide except for Florida which is a five strikes and you're out rule. I'm pretty sure a little research will show a pretty similar policy at UK as well.

I know yesterday's game was with a 1-8 team but these games are still usually attended very well....Alot of people across the state use these games to get a ticket and see the Vols since it is hard sometimes to get the Florida,Alabama,Georgia,ect...games...

So.....What about this.....

The Vols drew 96,197, the fewest since Neyland Stadium, the fourth largest in the country, expanded from a capacity of 91,902 after the 1995 season. The stadium's capacity is now 102,038. Tennessee was averaging 105,423 in what's been and up-and-down season for the Vols, who are still in contention for a Southeastern Conference title.

That's a big dip in attendance....The Vols have played some bad teams since 1995....

I know yesterday's game was with a 1-8 team but these games are still usually attended very well....Alot of people across the state use these games to get a ticket and see the Vols since it is hard sometimes to get the Florida,Alabama,Georgia,ect...games...

So.....What about this.....

The Vols drew 96,197, the fewest since Neyland Stadium, the fourth largest in the country, expanded from a capacity of 91,902 after the 1995 season. The stadium's capacity is now 102,038. Tennessee was averaging 105,423 in what's been and up-and-down season for the Vols, who are still in contention for a Southeastern Conference title.

That's a big dip in attendance....The Vols have played some bad teams since 1995....

The big difference is prices. Tickets for Saturday's game were $40 face (granted I literally could not give my extra one away), small cokes are $3.50, throw in $10-20 for parking, you are looking at an average father/son easily spending $100 at minimum to see UT/La-Lafayette. And that's just from people living in Knoxville. If you've got to travel, man. The product on the field is just not worth the amount of money it costs to see games like that now.

Not really.

UT changed their athletic dept wide drug testing policy this summer. When they did, it changed from a 3 strikes and you're out policy (which was about as tough as it goes in college sports) to a four strikes policy. In short - Fulmer couldn't have kicked him off before this.

This is pretty much conference wide except for Florida which is a five strikes and you're out rule. I'm pretty sure a little research will show a pretty similar policy at UK as well.

Thats just hard to believe that they give players 4 strikes until they dismiss them.... I think it should be 2 at the most....

The change to four strikes was made by doctors, psychologists, and substance abuse professionals, along with university personnel. No football, basketball, baseball or any other sport coaches were involved with the decision.

Solly is right- it was a change made by virtually all of the NCAA teams.

In real life, you might not even get to two strikes. However, with young athletes, they've made these changes. They've also made drug counseling mandatory. If you can stop one athlete (or any college student) from making these life-changing mistakes, then it is time and money well worth it. At such a young age, you sometimes have to be protected from yourself.

The really sad thing about Coker is all he had to do was stop smoking dope and attend counseling sessions. In essence, he had to WANT to change. Apparently, like Ricky Williams, he felt that it is more fun to smoke dope.

Which of course, advocates will tell you, is not addictive /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Hope he turns his life around, or he'll be another Ontarrio Smith- without the NFL contract.