Question on counting statistics

Nedn1stgrade

Scenario - A punt returner runs a punt all the way back for a touchdown. 20 yards after he caught the ball, his team was called for clipping. So even though the TD is negated, his team keeps the ball 5 yards downfield from where he received the kick. Does he get any credit for yards?

Sorry, didn't read this carefully. You would count the yardage to the spot of the penalty. The rush does go to the punter.

Sorry, didn't read this carefully. You would count the yardage to the spot of the penalty. The rush does go to the punter.

The return yardage goes to the punt returner not the punter. You are right about it

going to the spot of the foul. Just like a rushing attempt when the flag is dropped 30 yards

downfield.

Correct...and by the same token, if they step the penalty off from behind the line of scrimmage, somebody has to get a lost-yardage run/reception to the point of enforcement. I usually would charge it as team lost yardage, like a kneel-out, rather than giving it to the individual since he didn't do anything wrong.

Actually if the penalty occurs downfield the rusher or returned get credit for yardage to the spot of the penalty.....example if the ball is caught on his own 20 and returned to the end zone but there is a penalty that occurs at the 50 then the returner get credit for 30 yards on the return. (50-20=30). However, if the foul occurs at or behind the line of scrimmage according to NCAA stats rules book the rusher or returner is not credited with any attempt and therefore there is no minus yardage given to the returner/rusher. The play is nullified and only the penalty yardage is counted.