Greeneville at Sullivan South

KEV-O

Congrats to the Rebels, great win!!!!! Does anyone know where's Barb, "give credit where credit is due" /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Would you like to point out 1 post where I have failed to give South their due? I have constantly defended your talented QB when out little loudmouth boys would make negative comments about him....lets face it, there's not a lot to besmirch about the brash Mr. Phillips. As for Barb, well this old lady didn't get to see the last 2 games due to some health issues and the holidays and quite frankly, the second half last night was too painful to listen to. I still feel Maryville is riding a bit too high and might be ripe for an upset.....perhaps Curt can continue to rally his Rebels for another big game.....as fellow disrespected Upper East Tennessee fans I think its about time to let them know the state doesn't end at Dollywood....GO SOUTH REBELS.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember what a buddy of mine at DB says............."any team can be beat on any given day."............Mama done lookin to book me a hotel room down thar in Marivul or however they say it.

hogonice if'un you're lookin' fer a good motel room, mite eye suggest tha Shamrock hits vurry luxjurryous, if 'un thay aint booked fer tha weekend. Eye thank tha Shamrock is tha nicest thang since tha Joy Motel.

We says hit Mairvul.

Would you like to point out 1 post where I have failed to give South their due? I have constantly defended your talented QB when out little loudmouth boys would make negative comments about him....lets face it, there's not a lot to besmirch about the brash Mr. Phillips. As for Barb, well this old lady didn't get to see the last 2 games due to some health issues and the holidays and quite frankly, the second half last night was too painful to listen to. I still feel Maryville is riding a bit too high and might be ripe for an upset.....perhaps Curt can continue to rally his Rebels for another big game.....as fellow disrespected Upper East Tennessee fans I think its about time to let them know the state doesn't end at Dollywood....GO SOUTH REBELS.

The Queen of CoachT!

That was a great game last nite until the refs butchered the spot on 4th down. But I only have one thing to say Curt is the man he is ur team take him out and u all might have been 6-4 this year. In basketball u always have one player that can dominate but i think this is one of the firsts for football. Wow like its been all year if u can't stop curt u can't win congrats south. Although with maryville they have an entire team of stars and who would've though that red bank a 12-0 team would have been slaughtered like that. But good luck next week south.

7Devils...Alas, there is a respectable young man under that shroud after all. Thanks for your honesty.

I still feel Maryville is riding a bit too high and might be ripe for an upset.....perhaps Curt can continue to rally his Rebels for another big game.....as fellow disrespected Upper East Tennessee fans I think its about time to let them know the state doesn't end at Dollywood....GO SOUTH REBELS.

Thanks for the support barb. It takes a lot of class to support a team that just ended your season. I wonder if the South fans would have been able to do the same had the situation been reversed. I'ld like to think so.....

Good luck to Hampton and South - let's do NET proud.

On another note, the South-Maryville game will be a real nightmare for those who don't approve of the Rebel flag, don't you think??? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Thanks for the support barb. It takes a lot of class to support a team that just ended your season. I wonder if the South fans would have been able to do the same had the situation been reversed. I'ld like to think so.....

Good luck to Hampton and South - let's do NET proud.

On another note, the South-Maryville game will be a real nightmare for those who don't approve of the Rebel flag, don't you think??? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

I am not sure but I think that the administration at Maryville, or some other entity, banned the Rebel flag at Maryville HS events. Someone with more knowledge can either confirm or refute this information. I think barb is a classy lady as well. I hope your health issues are nothing serious.

Hogonice that Under Armor is some good stuff! Worth every penny.

Not so embarassing to be beaten by Maryville...just look at the list.

83SouthRebel....you're right I do wish to degrade NET "football", if I must call it that. I've been civil and tried to validate my points with facts and reason. That hasn't worked. So just wait until Friday night and the real rebels will do my validating for me. I don't come on here to degrade Curt or any other 17 year old kid who lays it on the line every Friday night. It takes a special breed to play football. The games not for everyone. Like I said I have respect for Curt like I have respect for every other kid who puts in the time and effort required to play varsity football. Now, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy while you all realize what a real football team looks like and then you can come back and say that they are just better then you because of the market they play in or whatever othe excuse you guys can think of. Good luck fellas.

Pink Panther...Sullivan South will not disrespect Maryville. And if we come home empty handed we will know we played the best the State of TN has to offer. We will not cry and lament in the same wondering, tatered sail, broken rudered, leaking, water logged vessel that you inhabit. AND we will not have a need to find other lost at sea misfortunates with which to share the the same misfortune and have a drink to shoulda, woulda, coulda but instead we will know we played one of the greatest football legends in the country and will console in the fact that we did compete well. And if we do win it will be the last salvo to bust the hull on your Knox Rules lifeboat with no survivors found with all hands lost to the muddy depths of the soon to be dry bed Lake Superior in Knox County.

You are a disgrace to the Knox Powell program and if you stop now damage control may be able to salvage the reputation of Knox County. Otherwise you are giving a very good program a bad name. Close you CoachT account and get a new e-mail address and re-register. And when you come back make an attempt at being respectable and just maybe you will reap what you sow. Rebel Nation.

BY BRIAN T. SMITH

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

KINGSPORT – “Curt! Curt! Curt! Curt!” came the chant, from a deep sea of game-worn blue, red and white jerseys.

It was Curt Phillips Night on Friday evening at Death Valley.

Actually, it wasn’t. But it sure could have been.

Phillips was as dominant as dominant can be, racking up 264 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries, and completing 12-of-20 passes for 142 yards and two scores.

The Rebels compiled 441 yards of total offense, and Phillips had a direct hand in 406 of them.

Add it all up, and Phillips’ inspired outing led Sullivan South to an impressive 41-14 win over Greeneville in a Division I Class 4A state quarterfinal playoff game.

The Rebels (12-1) now head to Maryville to take on the Rebels (13-0) at 7 p.m. next Friday in the state semifinals.

It’s the first time since 1993 South has advanced to the state semifinals.

“Curt, he’s a pretty good player isn’t he?” said South coach Stacy Carter afterwards, indulging in the ultimate rhetorical. “He had a great night.”

Phillips had touchdown runs of 5, 65 and 32 yards, and the Greene Devils (10-3) looked helpless every time he touched the ball.

“This is huge,” Phillips said beaming. “Everybody’s been working so hard. We haven’t been this far since ’93, and it’s been our goal since week one to go. I mean, it’s awesome.”

But as well as Phillips played, he wasn’t alone.

South’s defense – led by sophomore linebacker Clint Phillips, senior linebackers Chris Collins and Derrick Fisher and senior defensive lineman George Harless – shut down a Greeneville offense that ran rampant in the first half.

The Greene Devils alternated Trevon Hall (15 rushes, 102 yards) and Jeremy Barner (16 rushes, 88 yards) early, and the Hall-Barner attack allowed Greeneville to take a wave of momentum and a 14-14 tie into the break.

Then Rebels made adjustments.

“We had to,” Clint Phillips said. “Early on, our linebackers were getting doubled. We changed it, and that really helped us cut down on their cutbacks. It helped a lot.”

And while South shut the Greene Devils down in the second half, the Rebels’ offense poured it on.

Curt Phillips connected with senior fullback Brad Shanks on a screen pass, and Shanks ran 15 yards untouched into the end zone to give the Rebels a 27-14 lead with 9 minutes, 55 seconds left in the third quarter.

Phillips then hit senior wide receiver Seth Johnson (eight catches, 78 yards) for an 18-yard touchdown on South’s next drive, putting the Rebels up 34-14.

“I think it says something great about our football team,” Carter said. “These boys have worked really hard. It was a total team effort, and they started working towards this a long time ago.

“Hopefully, they can keep on going. This is a heck of an opportunity for our team and this community, and what they’ve done is just outstanding.”

btsmith@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2569

Greeneville 0 14 0 0–14

Sullivan South 0 14 7 20–41

Scoring Summary

SS—Curt Phillips 5 run (Jordan Willingham kick)

G—Jeremy Barner 6 run (Chad Castainca kick)

SS—Phillips 65 run (Willingham kick)

G—Barner 13 run (Castainca kick)

SS—Taylor Fletcher 9 run (Willingham kick)

SS—Brad Shanks 15 pass from Phillips (Willingham kick)

SS—Seth Johnson 18 pass from Phillips (kick failed)

SS—Phillips 32 run (Willingham kick)

Team Stats

First Downs: G 16, SS 19; Rushes-Yards: G 43-202, SS 38-299; Passing Yards: G 46, SS 142; Comp-Att-Int: G 7-18-0, SS 12-20-1; Fumbles-Lost: G 1-0, SS 0-0; Penalties-Yards G 3-31, SS 3-25; Punts-Average G 5-30, SS 1-51.

Don't know who this Brian Smith is but I believe that he missed a key contributor to the South O and D line #52. Tell me if I'm wrong but I've been watching the past 3 games closely and it is my opinion that this young man is the leader on both. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> For that matter the ENTIRE O and D LINE proved their importance! It is because of their effort that Mr. Phillips is able to make those stunning plays and if you ask him he will agree (and he always gives credit to them!) Awesome win for the Rebels and terrific effort by the Devils. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> From a long time faithful Rebel fan, I have faith you will have a great game next week!

Hampton you rock! Good luck to both and hope we meet up at state finals!!

How'bout them Rebels!!!

Don't know who this Brian Smith is but I believe that he missed a key contributor to the South O and D line #52. Tell me if I'm wrong but I've been watching the past 3 games closely and it is my opinion that this young man is the leader on both. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> For that matter the ENTIRE O and D LINE proved their importance! It is because of their effort that Mr. Phillips is able to make those stunning plays and if you ask him he will agree (and he always gives credit to them!) Awesome win for the Rebels and terrific effort by the Devils. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> From a long time faithful Rebel fan, I have faith you will have a great game next week!

How'bout them Rebels!!!

If, when watching the Rebels play one occasionally takes ones eye off Curt and views the supporting cast for the duration of the play it will be witnessed that many sacrifices are made by the line, backfield, and WR's to get him to second gear. Key blocks are made one after the other. Once he hits second gear it is generally a footrace that he seldom loses. This is especially evident on the "Bunch" sweeps.

Now why would a maryville player bother spending time on a South/ Greeneville thread?

Are you already looking to next week? You better get ready for Red Bank, because I think they have more than you guys can handle!!!!! So your statment about the road stopping in maryville I guess you were predicting you own fate!!!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Can't wait til you guys become 5A, then we will see if your as bold with all your statements! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'll see if I can talk Coach Clark into scheduling you guys first thing! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

who said i played for maryville

How'bout them Rebels!!!

Starsnbars, I sure appreciate your recommendation of the luxurious accomodations at the Shamrock. I"ll get mama to google it and see what's up. I get a kick outa your posts too. My ex wife was an English teacher and I can see that school marm just a spinnin if she could read your posts! They are outstanding. Now to Reb425. I must add another name to that #52 you mentioned. I don't know the young lad's name #52 but he's a go getter. I'll tell you anothern to add to that "open up a can of whup butt on people" is that Hunter Beedle kid. He's a dagone beast! That kid would skeer me to pass him in the halls thar at school! Sheweeeeeeeeee. They's a lot of beasts on that Rebel O and D that don't get the mention but they're in them trenches all the time a diggin it out for Curt. Personally, I think Seth Johnson has really come through for the Rebs this year. Great kid too. Now 83Reb, go on out to the huntin section at Walmart and get you some of them hot pockets, nah wait a minute, that's food, them hot hands, and that'll carry right on where your underoos leave off. Can't wait to see the chat this week on this board. It's gonna be a hootananny.