MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

No need to change your name; you'll still be a Big Red dad, just the dad of an alumnus.I find myself wondering if this might not be the best team MBA has ever fielded, and I'm fully cognizant of the gravity of that statement. I'm not sure any other MBA team has gone undefeated in a season with the caliber of competition this team faced. Consider that MBA beat undefeated teams from Hillsboro, Ensworth, Ryan and BA, the latter three deep in the season (and Ensworth at full strength). They followed these regular season wins by beating Ryan and BA a second time in the playoffs. The Ryan score speaks for itself. And while the BA scores were very close (nobody will ever run them out of the stadium, nor will they throw in the towel), certainly there's very little argument that MBA controlled and dominated the game.The teams from '66-'68 (unbeaten, one tie during that period) and the '70-'71 (one tie, loss to Covington in playoffs) teams certainly had great runs, but their seasons only went 11 games. The MBA team that won the state championship in Michael Fisher's senior year was great, but they had a loss (I'm a bottom line man, the game was settled on the field...I also quibble with MBA's claim to the win at Bolles. Always go with the scoreboard).I can't really speak to the teams of the mid-'80's through '90's, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.Amen!

No doubt that this was a great MBA team. Very physical. Controlling the ball against that BA defensive line was a big accomplishment. But I think your listing of top MBA teams missed the best one. The 1999 team beat Bolles on the field in a great game, and other than that didn't play a single game that was remotely close. Beat everybody in the Super 7 by 5 or 6 touchdowns in the regular season and then smoked McCallie 35-7 or something like that in the semis, and absolutley crushed Christian Bros in the finals 49-15 and it wasn't that close-- CB's points came against the backups and MBA had 35 at the half, as I recall. Ingle Martin, Barton Simmons, Tate Rich, Jonas Rodriguez, and lots of others who went on to play in college. The only teams in Tennessee that I've seen that I think could have given them a game were maybe the BA teams of the mid 90's (Kurston Biggers, Austin Kemp, Tito Lee) and some of Riverdale's great teams--- especially the 1994 team (Fernando Bryant, Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, David Coppeans). MBA's 1999 team just had a bunch of weapons-- not to diminish in any way the achievment of this year's team, but, in my book the '99 team was one of the elite teams ever in Tennessee and the standard against which all MBA teams should be judged. Of course, that's just my opinion.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt that this was a great MBA team. Very physical. Controlling the ball against that BA defensive line was a big accomplishment. But I think your listing of top MBA teams missed the best one. The 1999 team beat Bolles on the field in a great game, and other than that didn't play a single game that was remotely close. Beat everybody in the Super 7 by 5 or 6 touchdowns in the regular season and then smoked McCallie 35-7 or something like that in the semis, and absolutley crushed Christian Bros in the finals 49-15 and it wasn't that close-- CB's points came against the backups and MBA had 35 at the half, as I recall. Ingle Martin, Barton Simmons, Tate Rich, Jonas Rodriguez, and lots of others who went on to play in college. The only teams in Tennessee that I've seen that I think could have given them a game were maybe the BA teams of the mid 90's (Kurston Biggers, Austin Kemp, Tito Lee) and some of Riverdale's great teams--- especially the 1994 team (Fernando Bryant, Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, David Coppeans). MBA's 1999 team just had a bunch of weapons-- not to diminish in any way the achievment of this year's team, but, in my book the '99 team was one of the elite teams ever in Tennessee and the standard against which all MBA teams should be judged. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I agree. In my years of being around HS football. The '99 MBA team is the most dominant that I have ever seen. The match up that I wish we could have created would have been the '99 team against the Byrnes team that pasted MBA at Vandy ( I forget the year). BA's team in '80 or '81 with Austin at the helm as a Senior was one of the best too.

I would put this MBA team in the top 3-5 of MBA teams I have seen. The '99 team was the best MBA team I have seen. Take nothing from this '07 team, the competition is steep.This BA team was good, but not one of the top10 BA teams. The next two years offers the opportunity to be a great BA team. This team starts/plays over 50% freshmen and sophomores.

I agree. In my years of being around HS football. The '99 MBA team is the most dominant that I have ever seen. The match up that I wish we could have created would have been the '99 team against the Byrnes team that pasted MBA at Vandy ( I forget the year). BA's team in '80 or '81 with Austin at the helm as a Senior was one of the best too.

BA teams '80,'81,'88,'95,'96 were the top 5 best ever at BA in my opinion as following them every year since 1976.

This moment is bittersweet for me. I have had boys playing football at MBA for the past 9 years, and last night was the culmination of all of that. What a great way to go out.

My older son played on the 2003 team with Michael Fisher, Tom Santi, Brad French etc. That was great team, and one that really should have been undefeated. The next year they had a real heartbreaking loss to MUS in the playoffs, then MUS went on to crush BA in the finals. That 2004 team had more adversity (5 injuires to key players by the end of the 1st quarter of the 1st game, then lost their center for the playoffs against BA) to overcome then any team I've been around except maybe last years group.

This years team was fortunate with injuries. Waddey missed a couple of games and Bailey missed a game and a half, but beyond that I don't remember anything real serious. This team did not make many mistakes either. In fact I would say last night was the sloppiest game they played all season in terms of inopertune penalties. If they played as clean game as they were capable of doing they might have put up 4 TD's.

I have throughly enjoyed being a football dad, and I will miss it.

Coach Counce, Jr. actually got the first Gatorade shower last night from the players.

I read quite a bit of praise about the Counces from Dyersburg in the spring after they were hired at MBA. I'm sure they played an instrumental role in this season's championship run.

I haven't met either of the two, but they both look tough as nails. I'm glad for them for the great season, as hopefully it will help their school and life transition go slightly easier.

They are probably amongst, if not the, top coaches in the state right now.

Great game for both sides, but what truly bothered me was BAs sportmanship, or lack thereof. #4 was taunting the MBA students, team, and on two distinct occassions, the MBA coaches. And after the last play of the game, when the clock had been at zero, and the whistle blown, and the players were rushing the field, one of the BA OLineman stomped on Jay Cole's ankle, on prupose, and he now has a high ankle sprain, thats beyond Ryan-like

Great game for both sides, but what truly bothered me was BAs sportmanship, or lack thereof. #4 was taunting the MBA students, team, and on two distinct occassions, the MBA coaches. And after the last play of the game, when the clock had been at zero, and the whistle blown, and the players were rushing the field, one of the BA OLineman stomped on Jay Cole's ankle, on prupose, and he now has a high ankle sprain, thats beyond Ryan-like

I saw the DL on the field. Can this be confirmed or hearsay?

We all know that Maryville has been the dominant 4A program for several years; there has been much speculation as to how Maryville would compete against MBA or BA. In a single game match up against either BA or MBA, it would probably be a close game.

Maryville has a great program, goes without saying. Year in, year out, it can be argued as to would win matchups between classifications.

Maryville was agruably the best public school team last year.....saw them play twice, very impressive. Not sure they were better than BA though.

As for this year, I've seen the top teams in East and Middle Tn. ( have not seen Millington ). At the end of the day, don't think anyone in Tn would beat MBA.

MBA wins a great game during the season over us and you whine about some "MBA recovered the fumble mumbo jumbo". No one else mentions it but you. Now, MBA dominates the field and wins a state championship and you have found something else to cry about. I feel confident that you will make someone a great wife one day.

Enjoy the win and try to avoid being "truly bothered". You will live longer.

I saw the DL on the field. Can this be confirmed or hearsay?

[/quote

Yes, it was infact true. The injury was downplayed due to, obviously, the state championship trophy but a lineman from BA did hurt Jay Cole's ankle purposely. #4 Jess Rutledge played an extremely ungentlemanlike game. Taunting the fans and prompting the same in return. However, these actions didn't play into the game seeing as the Big Red still trounced them 12-0. Just goes to show you how unsportsmanlike their actions were on the field yesterday.

MBA wins a great game during the season over us and you whine about some "MBA recovered the fumble mumbo jumbo". No one else mentions it but you. Now, MBA dominates the field and wins a state championship and you have found something else to cry about. I feel confident that you will make someone a great wife one day.

Enjoy the win and try to avoid being "truly bothered". You will live longer.

The kid has a career infront of him you bafoon. Regardless of whether we won the championship or not, it didn't require the actions that some of the BA kids put forth after the game. It's a shame to see how low they sank especially the line man that hurt Jay Cole...tell me you wouldn't react as fervently if one of your players had the same happen.

Quit being a hypocrite.

MBA was the best team and deserved to win.

Who picks the officiating crew for the championship game?

The officiating at BA games this year has been fine. However,

this crew was terrible. I'm not sure that I've ever heard

encroachment called on the offense at any level of football.

For it to be called four or five times stretches the limits of

believability.

I don't want to sound paranoid but it's as if someone went

out of their way to put a crew on the field knowing they would

be horrible.

Even though I'm an MBA fan, I definitely agree that that the refs were terrible last night. I don't see why there were so many penalties before the teams were even lined up. For both teams, there would be illegal procedure penalties before the center even had his hand on the ball. Yes, BA got the worst end of this crew, but MBA also had it pretty bad. You'd think that the best refs would be officiating the championship game.