Union City Coachless..//Fishel Out!

uctfan

Well Folks, after two back to back 6 & 5 seasons, going to the playoffs almost every year, this wasn't good enough for the Union city fans, Union City's Jimmy Fishel steps down as head coach. We will see what happens from here on out but many names being mentioned and several who wants the job to get Union city BACK to the "Glory Days" we are somewhat use to.

Coach Fishel did a fine job while here at UCHS, I have to go to his defense in some matter. Coach Fishel NEVER had a coaching staff that had time behind the clipboard ( experience ). He lacked that very much and most of the other schools he faced had caoches that had been around for several years. Also, the athletes we have had except the year in 2005 when we had 22 Seniors, we really have not had the top kids out. Yes, we have good players but lacking a few TRUE leaders on the field. One good leader turns leaders into good leaders. Not knocking the kids here at all but this has to do with the coaching as well. If you want play for yourself, you sure want play for the coach or visversa. Player ( kids ) & coaches have to have great releationships.......kinda like fatherhood. I am a firm beliver in this and the years past you can see how that worked. In the past several years, our players and coaches had really GREAT relationships. I even remember when Monshu (?) North took coach Barnes rabbit hunting. I even know some of the past coaches at U C H S tought Sunday School. There are MANY KIDS who we ALL know ( Us From U C ), could have and would have come out....but didn't. Jimmy wasn't one to go and ask the kids to play...he let them come to him.

Anyway, we went to the Clinic Bowl under Jimmy and will not forget that.

We will see who's name come out....I know several myself who's names have been mentioned and would love to try their luck.....It will be a good change....I guess.

We will see. Kinda suprised that no one else has come up with this post.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City needs a true living legend coach to direct the program. It is important to have some stability and don't let it become a revolving door for coaches. That could hurt the program and put it in alot worse shape than it is now.

I agree 100%. We do not want to get into something like the county school did ( Obion county Central High ). Not fair to the kids. we all have to remember that this is the adults everyday job being caoch and the kids only have 3 to 4 years to enjoy their side.

We will see. I think the main thing in the recent years is a little fire or heat into the kids. Our pride has been the letdown so to speak. I know the kids do want to win but it does work two ways....you can only coach a kid so much and if you do not have the kids willing to be coached ...it tough. Lots of speculation and talk between now and then.

I don't think stability will be an issue...We have had three coaches since 1975...

I'll tell you,I think the world of Jim Fishel....He helped me and my son out a whole bunch this year when my son injured his knee...He went the extra mile for us...Not bad considering my kid is a freshman and coach didn't really even know him that well...Maybe it had something to do with me being a former player at UC,I don't know,but Jim Fishel cares about Union City and he cares about those players...I wish him the very best of luck and I doubt he will be without a team very long..Some school will get a good one by giving him a shot...Looking back,you know Fishel was in a heckuva position...He followed a coach that had built this program into a state contender and had guided his team into two state championship games..Plus,Randy Barnes is the all-time winningest coach at Union City...Big shoes to fill...

You know just speculation,but South Fulton is needing a coach and Jim Fishel was a star QB at that school......

I forget how many years Fishel has been at Union City 19 or 20 as an assistabt and head coach,sometimes it's just time to move on and he did what he felt was right for him and the school and the community......

I don't think stability will be an issue...We have had three coaches since 1975...

I'll tell you,I think the world of Jim Fishel....He helped me and my son out a whole bunch this year when my son injured his knee...He went the extra mile for us...Not bad considering my kid is a freshman and coach didn't really even know him that well...Maybe it had something to do with me being a former player at UC,I don't know,but Jim Fishel cares about Union City and he cares about those players...I wish him the very best of luck and I doubt he will be without a team very long..Some school will get a good one by giving him a shot...Looking back,you know Fishel was in a heckuva position...He followed a coach that had built this program into a state contender and had guided his team into two state championship games..Plus,Randy Barnes is the all-time winningest coach at Union City...Big shoes to fill...

You know just speculation,but South Fulton is needing a coach and Jim Fishel was a star QB at that school......

I forget how many years Fishel has been at Union City 19 or 20 as an assistabt and head coach,sometimes it's just time to move on and he did what he felt was right for him and the school and the community......

Nice post there Purple & Gold.......I think we ALL ( or most ) feel the same way about JImmy. A very pleasant person to be around and soft spoken. Kinda like the deal that went on at South Fulton with Coach Wood.....sometimes in the coaching era today being kind, nice and all the other things isn't winning enough for some folks.

He would be good at South Fulton but you never know. I would even like to see coach Wood over here as an assistant.

I agree 100%. We do not want to get into something like the county school did ( Obion county Central High ). Not fair to the kids. we all have to remember that this is the adults everyday job being caoch and the kids only have 3 to 4 years to enjoy their side.

We will see. I think the main thing in the recent years is a little fire or heat into the kids. Our pride has been the letdown so to speak. I know the kids do want to win but it does work two ways....you can only coach a kid so much and if you do not have the kids willing to be coached ...it tough. Lots of speculation and talk between now and then.

A coach rotation is tough on a program. OCCHS has seen it's share of rotation nightmares. Hopefully UCHS will find a suitable replacement in their first attempt. As for the kids, I don't know many of the upperclassmen, but I am very familiar with most of the freshmen. I've had the privilege of coaching a few of them and those in particular I know are athletic and have the desire which will help improve the current status of the program.

As for OCCHS, Coach Driggers and his staff are young. He has to be given time to build a program and instill his system. This year was a nightmare, simply because of the changes in the program. With only 3 starters returning from last year, no one had any varsity experience and there was no cohesion between coaches and players (no fault of either side). They were good kids, it just wasn't a total package. I think Coach Driggers will build a strong foundation for a good Rebel football program. He and his staff will grow along with the younger players and become a contender, even in what may be the toughest AAA region in the state. I look forward to the times when the county/city game is a battle, unlike the old days or the recent years when the county was rolling.

Best of luck in the selection process.

I have talked to Coach Fishel a couple of times and I love the guy. You know your doing something right when you take your team to the state championship. I know he had the players, but they had to have someone to coach them to get them there. I would welcome him with open arms at SF. We need a coach with experience from a winning program, and someone that will get our kids butts in gear and get them going again.

The thing is UC needs to get out there and beat the bushes to find a good coach, not sit back with the attitude that we're "Union City" let them come to us. The absence of an atletic period means that a lot of your quality coaches probably will not give us a second thought.

Jim Fishel is a quality individual and will be missed, but he probably did what is best for the program.

Wonder what the Odessa Permian coaches status is?(yea, as if!)

The thing is UC needs to get out there and beat the bushes to find a good coach, not sit back with the attitude that we're "Union City" let them come to us. The absence of an atletic period means that a lot of your quality coaches probably will not give us a second thought.

Jim Fishel is a quality individual and will be missed, but he probably did what is best for the program.

Wonder what the Odessa Permian coaches status is?(yea, as if!)

Rush Probst(Hoover,Ala) doesn't have a job anymore... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know Jim fairly well and I know him to be a good guy in this business and wish the best for him in the future. Maybe he can go back to his old stomping grounds in Big Red Country. who knows?? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

As for UC, they have some talented kids over there and will always but quality athletes on the field. Playing in the 1A league I know the natvies are restless and expect to go deep in the playoffs each year. Don't be shocked if a familiar face to football in Obion County surfaces as a candidate for the position /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know Jim fairly well and I know him to be a good guy in this business and wish the best for him in the future. Maybe he can go back to his old stomping grounds in Big Red Country. who knows?? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

As for UC, they have some talented kids over there and will always but quality athletes on the field. Playing in the 1A league I know the natvies are restless and expect to go deep in the playoffs each year. Don't be shocked if a familiar face to football in Obion County surfaces as a candidate for the position /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

From Arkansas way or just down the road?