Union City Coachless..//Fishel Out!

uctfan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Jim fairly well and I know him to be a good guy in this business and wish the best for him in the future. Maybe he can go back to his old stomping grounds in Big Red Country. who knows?? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

As for UC, they have some talented kids over there and will always but quality athletes on the field. Playing in the 1A league I know the natvies are restless and expect to go deep in the playoffs each year. Don't be shocked if a familiar face to football in Obion County surfaces as a candidate for the position /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yea, as for the familiar faces with names: Barnes, Shanks, Hill $ Bolding are some names floating around and just might come back to get Union city back on the right track.

Yea, as for the familiar faces with names: Barnes, Shanks, Hill $ Bolding are some names floating around and just might come back to get Union city back on the right track.

I was in UC for the holiday and heard through the grapevine that Darren Bowling and his family were not happy at Dyersburg. Just something I heard. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I was in UC for the holiday and heard through the grapevine that Darren Bowling and his family were not happy at Dyersburg. Just something I heard. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

[/quote

Losing at Obion County was a whole lot easier than losing at Dyersburg. The trojans greatly underachieved this season, hopes were high and they were deflated, expected to dominate with what they had coming back but team was very disappointing, never reached their potential. Not to mention not only were they loaded with returning talent but also took most talented player from a competing school and still did nothing with it. How many coaches would'nt want not only their returning talent but also another schools best player as well, you'd think you'd have a pretty good chance to succeed. I could see why he's a little uncomfortable in Dyersburg.

P & G, I heard Coach Barnes might be coming back. Is that true?

bh....yes, the word is on the street here in U C that Barnes is coming back as head coach and Shanks will take the defense....no joke. Everyone that I have talked with said it is Barnes job if he wants it and he has already met with the school officials. Shanks has put in his apl. as well but will take the Defense job if ask from inside sources. Bowlding (?) former OCCHS and now Dyersburg coach as well as the Camden coach ( Ward ) FOR SURE have their names in the hat as well. It's kinda like "Opening Up The Vault" so to speak and bringing back old times. We will see. Wrod is also, that in 4 more years the way the U C School system is growing we will be back to AA and there are kids walking our hallways now that wouldn't play for Fishel but have already started working on weights that will play for someone else and they have played before.

We will see.

bh....yes, the word is on the street here in U C that Barnes is coming back as head coach and Shanks will take the defense....no joke. Everyone that I have talked with said it is Barnes job if he wants it and he has already met with the school officials. Shanks has put in his apl. as well but will take the Defense job if ask from inside sources. Bowlding (?) former OCCHS and now Dyersburg coach as well as the Camden coach ( Ward ) FOR SURE have their names in the hat as well. It's kinda like "Opening Up The Vault" so to speak and bringing back old times. We will see. Wrod is also, that in 4 more years the way the U C School system is growing we will be back to AA and there are kids walking our hallways now that wouldn't play for Fishel but have already started working on weights that will play for someone else and they have played before.

We will see.

I had heard all that also....I didn't want to post it because I thought people would think I was crazy....Now if we could only get Coach Duncan to take over that offensive line... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I also heard Chris Hill(another former OC head coach) had put his application in....

The senior-to-be-class was the one that went all the way to the West Tn championship when they were 8th graders and finally lost their first game to that unbelievable Memphis team....I heard there was at least one basketball player that was a force on that team may go back out for the team and a really good baseball player...Those may just be rumors though....

Darren Bowling goes 10-2 at Dyersburg....Loses to a Dyer County team that WINS THE REGION AND IS UNDEFEATED...when Logan Parker fumbles when we are either gonna win the thing or send it into overtime....We get beat BY A BETTER TEAM in Memphis Mitchell...And we were leading by 4 points at Halftime when Trey Vernon goes down....Our OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE lines were the not as strong as past Dyersburg teams...VERY SMALL...We lost Two D-1 linemen in JT BEASLEY and Cody Tettleton. who went to Missouri and Austin Peay respectively......TOO MUCH PRESSURE was put on this team from the jump.....This time last year we were sitting at home after a 42-7 thumping at the hands of David Lipscomb....And all people could talk about was STATE TITLE....

Logan Parker coming in HAD WAY TOO MANY EXPECTATIONS on him...People thought the NEXT Tom Brady was coming to town...When in fact it was a kid who RAN THE MIDLINE VEER with the option....Victor Mclin based on the strength of the 7-7 passing camps was thought to be the next RANDY MOSS when in fact he hadn't had on pads since 9th grade...That along with Tyler Caldwell and Rashad Taylor we were GOING TO BRING HOME THE GOLD....

No Darren Bowling DIDN"T BRING HOME A GOLD BALL OR A SILVER ONE FOR THAT MATTER...But there darn sure wasn't one in the trophy case to begin with either...It took time for the kids to get used to the new offense...Could Tyler Caldwell have rushed for 2,000 yards in an I FORMATION?...Probably...Will there ever be a 2,000 yard rusher in Darren Bowling's offense ...PROBABLY NOT....The numbers were better than last year all the way around...We finished second ...And yet some people acted like we didn't even make the playoffs...

10-2 probably got Adam Renshaw a job for Life as Mike Smith wrote in his Sunday article....What has 10-2 gotten Darren Bowling?....People down this way NEED TO LIGHTEN UP.....They don't know a good thing when they have it in Darren Bowling...Talk to ANY COACH that has coached with him and they say in a couple of years...YOU CAN"T STOP THAT OFFENSE....AND THE BACKS HAVE GOT TO BLOCK...The backs BLOCK LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO...WE ARE PROBABLY on our way to Murfreesboro...who knows....I know it told a talented Mitchell team with Ken Torry having the game of his life to beat us...ATHLETE for ATHLETE there is no way we should have been on the field with Mitchell.....And we had a 4 point lead at halftime when Trey Vernon went down with an Ankle injury....And he was another LINEMEN we couldn't afford to lose...AND WE UNDERACHIEVED?....Give me a break...

I know Darren has ties to Union City... I would HATE to lose him...But to say this team UNDER ACHIEVED is wrong...Darren is a great coach and a good man....I would hate to see him go...But from some of the BS down here I can see why....

A coach rotation is tough on a program. OCCHS has seen it's share of rotation nightmares. Hopefully UCHS will find a suitable replacement in their first attempt. As for the kids, I don't know many of the upperclassmen, but I am very familiar with most of the freshmen. I've had the privilege of coaching a few of them and those in particular I know are athletic and have the desire which will help improve the current status of the program.

As for OCCHS, Coach Driggers and his staff are young. He has to be given time to build a program and instill his system. This year was a nightmare, simply because of the changes in the program. With only 3 starters returning from last year, no one had any varsity experience and there was no cohesion between coaches and players (no fault of either side). They were good kids, it just wasn't a total package. I think Coach Driggers will build a strong foundation for a good Rebel football program. He and his staff will grow along with the younger players and become a contender, even in what may be the toughest AAA region in the state. I look forward to the times when the county/city game is a battle, unlike the old days or the recent years when the county was rolling.

I know Coach Driggers very well and you have got a great coach in him. He will build our program and if the kids are willing to do what it takes, you will have a sucessful program in the near future.

Best of luck in the selection process.