Union City Coachless..//Fishel Out!

uctfan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the Bowling bashers will wish they had held their tongues I would expect ! Dyersburg's loss is definitely Union City's gain ! As I Do support Dyersburg (as long as they ain't plain D.C.) I hate to see Coach Bowling go ! I can't blame him for more reasons than he stated in the Gazette however. I'm sure the reasons mentioned were valid, but the flack he caught from some so called Trojan fans would have been reason enough as well ! Best of luck to the Trojans in their hunt for the "Best Head Coach in Tennessee" & Best of luck to Coach Bowling as well !

Let me start by saying that with such a short time period to work with I think Bowling did a good job this year being that it was a completely new system for the kids. I do think he is lacking on the disipline and organizational side of things compared to what we are use to seeing, but over all a good job. I know there were a few people that did not like the new offense but you never saw me on here saying that. I even think it was clicking well the last three games.

Having said that. I am very disappointed in coach Bowling. He can come up with all the excuses he wants to, but he he had these same circumstances when he took the job. In my opinion he used these seniors at Dyersburg for his on ego and he is selfish. These are teenagers that have feelings and need a coach that they can trust will stick with them. This is his third school in one year. So much for a coach you can count on with him.

Good luck coach Bowling and dont let the door hit you in the butt because I have a feeling we will all be happy with the replacement /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> !!!

Well, the day has come and now know who will direct UNion City Football in the upward direction. Coach ( Darren ) Bowling and Coach ( Wes ) Kennedy WILL BE WELCOMED with open arms in Union City along with their entire families. Most of us that follow the Union City sports kinda knew at the first of the week that Coach Bowling was going to be the man but didn't know he would bring a bonus to the program with Coach Kennedy.

The coaches will meet with the kids on Monday and parents and give outlines of the upcoming winter workouts.

Can't wait to see them both wearing Purple & Gold working the sidelines during practice and on Friday nights.

We all know now why the wait was until today ( Friday ) to announce.....Dyersburg had their Football Banquet last night ( Thursday ) and he wanted to wait until that was over and then let the news fly.

I have a GREAT feeling Union City football is on the way back. These coaches were selected out of 25 applications just gathered in such a short time.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone, Dyersburg paved paradise and put up a parking lot!" I think that the powers that be at Dyersburg have done a fine job of running off a fine coach. I think that Dyersburg has taken a page from Arkansas' book running off a good coach that can be greatly appreciated by a team (Ole Miss/Union City) that has more tradition and has more of a chance for success anyway and KNOWS WHAT A GOOD COACH IS WHEN THEY SEE ONE. Truth be told if I was a betting man, I would bet that Bowling would hold up a Gold Football in the middle of Floyd Stadium for Union City before Dyersburg will, not a knock JMO.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone, Dyersburg paved paradise and put up a parking lot!" I think that the powers that be at Dyersburg have done a fine job of running off a fine coach. I think that Dyersburg has taken a page from Arkansas' book running off a good coach that can be greatly appreciated by a team (Ole Miss/Union City) that has more tradition and has more of a chance for success anyway and KNOWS WHAT A GOOD COACH IS WHEN THEY SEE ONE. Truth be told if I was a betting man, I would bet that Bowling would hold up a Gold Football in the middle of Floyd Stadium for Union City before Dyersburg will, not a knock JMO.

I agree with your last statement 100%.....

Congrats on the Union City administration on this two for one deal.....I know Bowling because my oldest son played for him 4 years at Obion Central...Bowling is the reason my son is now in college and pursuing a goal to be a teacher/coach someday.....I know first hand that this a top-notch guy...I have also heard great things about Wes Kennedy....I know people at Dyersburg will feel more than a little jilted but you know sometimes once you get over to those perceived greener pastures they are just filled with manure and you realize maybe you made a mistake in the first place by going there....

Darren Bowling is what this tradition-rich program needs...He will junk the spread offense,count on that...This team will be more physical,count on that...This team will run the same offense that Obion Central ran and with better athletes....The UC team is young but very experienced..They played a bunch of sophs this past season and they have a very good freshman class coming up....

Bowling will see a marked decline in competition....I noticed this,I already knew it,but it became painfully clear that overall,top-to-bottom Region 7-1A is NOWHERE near the level 7-3A is....I had spent four seasons watching my oldest son playing the Covington's(who his team beat twice when the Chargers were #1 in the state),Crockett County's(who were much better than this past years Cavalier squad),Dyersburg(who was also ranked #1 in the state)Haywood,Ripley and Dyer County....There won't be any of this losing to Gleason anymore with Bowling and Kennedy around....I really think that loss right there was the final nail in Coach Fishel's coffin by the way.....

I want to commend Barry Duncan also...Duncan is the principal/athletic director at UCHS....Believe me,there is nobody that wants UC winning at football again more than Duncan....He was my position coach when I played for the Tornadoes and he became known as one of the best offensive line coaches in the state....I know he made the right decision because I know how he is with the "little things"...He is very attentive to detail..Meticulous....I guaratee you he did his homework on these two choices and I know he did it on the other 24 or so applicants as well....

This is an exciting time to be a Tornado,either currently or an alumni like myself......

Things just got alot more interesting in Region 7-1A....

Lookin' at the two situations, you bring a valid point ! Seems that a house divided describes both situations (D'burg & Arkansas) prettty well. I lurked around these boards all fall & after the loss to D.C. the couch potato QB's/ Head Coaches that had already second guessed coach Bowling only escalated their criticism. If I had been under the same scrutiny I don't know what I would have done, but there was certainly too much bashing for a coach that one year into a program wins 10 games. I have no horse in this race, but it was likely not the most pleasant 10 win season ever experienced by a Head Coach ! Good luck to the Trojans on finding a new Head Coach. Hopefully you can find someone that will satisfy everybody & still enjoy a successful season in '08 !

GO ChOCTAWS !!!!!!!!! & GO TROJANS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with your last statement 100%.....

Congrats on the Union City administration on this two for one deal.....I know Bowling because my oldest son played for him 4 years at Obion Central...Bowling is the reason my son is now in college and pursuing a goal to be a teacher/coach someday.....I know first hand that this a top-notch guy...I have also heard great things about Wes Kennedy....I know people at Dyersburg will feel more than a little jilted but you know sometimes once you get over to those perceived greener pastures they are just filled with manure and you realize maybe you made a mistake in the first place by going there....

Darren Bowling is what this tradition-rich program needs...He will junk the spread offense,count on that...This team will be more physical,count on that...This team will run the same offense that Obion Central ran and with better athletes....The UC team is young but very experienced..They played a bunch of sophs this past season and they have a very good freshman class coming up....

Bowling will see a marked decline in competition....I noticed this,I already knew it,but it became painfully clear that overall,top-to-bottom Region 7-1A is NOWHERE near the level 7-3A is....I had spent four seasons watching my oldest son playing the Covington's(who his team beat twice when the Chargers were #1 in the state),Crockett County's(who were much better than this past years Cavalier squad),Dyersburg(who was also ranked #1 in the state)Haywood,Ripley and Dyer County....There won't be any of this losing to Gleason anymore with Bowling and Kennedy around....I really think that loss right there was the final nail in Coach Fishel's coffin by the way.....

I want to commend Barry Duncan also...Duncan is the principal/athletic director at UCHS....Believe me,there is nobody that wants UC winning at football again more than Duncan....He was my position coach when I played for the Tornadoes and he became known as one of the best offensive line coaches in the state....I know he made the right decision because I know how he is with the "little things"...He is very attentive to detail..Meticulous....I guaratee you he did his homework on these two choices and I know he did it on the other 24 or so applicants as well....

This is an exciting time to be a Tornado,either currently or an alumni like myself......

Things just got alot more interesting in Region 7-1A....

Purple & Gold Standard......couldn't have said it better myself. You should follow your brothers foot steps and get into the writing about sports. You do a pretty good job of it and you do and know your homework once something has been written or about to be written.

I too think Coach Duncan is GLAD this is over and and ready to move on. Everyone involved have done a great job at finding the right person. Who knows he will add or remove from the coaching staff.

I Can't wait.......!!!!!!!

Now the question arises of who will remain on the staff??....

I would think that Tony Butler would be retained...He is a very energetic young coach...He has alot of enthusiasm for the game and is tough.....Mack Moore is very popular with the players and could very helpful in certain situations...Derrick Pritchard is another young coach who spent his time during games on the headset on top of the pressbox but I don't really know much about him....Tracy Bruff is a former teammate of mine who is helping out as a paraprofessional..He is a good man but I don't know what his plans are for the future....David Barker is/was the defensive coordinator....Anybody close to the program knows nothing else should be said about that...

If Fishel takes a job at another school will he take some of these assistants with him??

Union City will have speed to burn next season...The QB coming in will probably be Chase Bowling,Darren's son...Who else will know the Bowling offense better than his son??...The Tornadoes will have a bevy of runningbacks to chose from,Josh Nicks and Kendrick Price will return both will be juniors next season....One of those will probably be the "S" back in the offense...Slots will be strong with a choice of Cameron Sherwood,Cameron Graham and some of the freshman coming up....The freshman class this year was strong in skill positions but lacked a little in the lines...The class coming in next season from 8th grade was strong in the lines...The offensive and defensive lines are going to have to improve dramitically because they will be asked to do more run-blocking,something they haven't had to do much the last couple of years...They will have to play more physical,something I think the spread offense takes away from you...

The defense will have to improve 100% next season...Union City had the talent to make a run deep in the playoffs this season..They just honestly didn't have the defense to do it...They had about 3 really good defensive players but you really can't stop anybody going 3 on 11....I bet you right now the Tornadoes WILL dress out in full pads during practice every day except Thursday and I bet you they will hit and do individual hitting drills everyday...Get ready for that boys...I have seen that first-hand....

I was really glad to see that the UC administration got this done fast...UC usually goes through spring practice in Febuary..Bowling, although, held spring practice at OC in May..But either way the players will become accustomed to Bowling and he will get to know the players before they hit the field next August...There will be alot of learning both ways because this is an offense that usually takes about two years to get down..There will be learning pains because this offense is all set up on timing and they may look like Ned and the third reader out there for awhile....If they can get the defense to stop people it will help out tremendously....

GOOD LUCK TO THE TORNADOES ON A GREAT 2008 SEASON!!