Union City Coachless..//Fishel Out!

uctfan

You have everything but an athletic period. If you had that you could likely name your coach because you would have some very big names show interest.

The Siscos -- Marty and Shane -- have won four basketball state championships WITHOUT the athletic period. Union City's football program has played in three state championship games since 1997 WITHOUT the athletic period. The baseball program, under such coaches as Braswell, Chapman, Fishel and Barker, has been a perennial state contender, including state tournament appearances, WITHOUT an athletic period.

Though a nice little perk to the job, and a convenient excuse for some, it is not a must-have item for success.

And, ask anyone who played at Obion Central under coach Chris Hill if the Rebels ever practiced after school despite having that all-precious athletic period of yours?

As a very successful coach once told me: Excuses are for losers. Do the UCHS coaches complain about it? Sure. Do they use it as a crutch to blame any unsuccessful seasons on? Not hardly. The Union City High School athletic department is not built on a foundation of losers.

Union City High School does not have an athletic period. Most of us on the outside wishes it did, but it does not. So be it. That just means our coaches have to work a little harder and a little later in the day. If longer hours and harder work bother them, then Union City High School doesn't need them anyway.

And, look at all those programs that do have an athletic period and can't even win an intrasquad game.

Winners are winners, 24/7. And, the same goes for losers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....The UC team is young but very experienced..They played a bunch of sophs this past season and they have a very good freshman class coming up....

...Things just got alot more interesting in Region 7-1A....

First item: With one very notable absence, of course

Second item: More interesting, as in who's gonna finish second.

Hey Purple & Gold Standard....was able to meet and talk with Union City's newest coaches tonight at the Trenton Game. Both are VERY EXCITED and ready. They both plan to be in Union City very soon working with the kids. Our fans were going up to both of them during the game introducing themselves tonight. They both told me that they met with the team and assistant coaches today.

We are READY for the season begin NOW.

Look out Single A........We are Reloading and preparing for a major journey to the State in football in the next few years.

I hear there are a few new facing in kids that are coming out that have either played before or never played.

Hey Purple & Gold Standard....was able to meet and talk with Union City's newest coaches tonight at the Trenton Game. Both are VERY EXCITED and ready. They both plan to be in Union City very soon working with the kids. Our fans were going up to both of them during the game introducing themselves tonight. They both told me that they met with the team and assistant coaches today.

We are READY for the season begin NOW.

Look out Single A........We are Reloading and preparing for a major journey to the State in football in the next few years.

I hear there are a few new facing in kids that are coming out that have either played before or never played.

Darren is a good guy....

I know he plays the kids that put out in the weight room and practice...He doesn't care what your last name is...And for whoever thinks their baby boy will play QB...Forget it...That job will go to Chase Bowling...And deservidly so Chase is an athletic kid.Nobody will know that offense better than Chase and the best thing is he will only be a sophmore next season....