HUNTINGDON -

H-TOWN POSSY

First of all, Mansfield is STILL the coach at Huntingdon and this is all speculation. He has NOT announced his retirement from coaching from Huntingdon. This same thread was started a few years ago and nothing happened and Mike is still the coach.

Lions4Ever... When Swensen left for Hickman County I think you would be surprised at the head coaches that applied to become an assistant at Huntingdon. Lots of manuvering to become a coach at any school. Some want to coach and also become Principal so they can increase their retirement. Some inquired about the job to become an assistant with the possibility to move into Mansfield's head coaching position when he did decide to leave. If the powers to be decide to play small ball next reclassification, that won't stop any coach from wanting to come to Huntingdon.

LuDawg said in another thread that moving from HC to Huntingdon would be a lateral move for Swensen. Apparently he doesn't know a whole lot about football or the history of Huntingdon football. Huntingdon has a "Modern Era" record of 553-267-15.. This is the record dating from 1930 when all records are documented. Been playing here before 1918 because we have a team photo on file of the 1918 team. Huntingdon has been where HC is now for a long time.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Feel good about your team and being able to play against GP tonight. Please don't put Huntingdon down because we got put out by a good Milan team.

Mansfield is still the Head coach and any talk on here is speculation. Good luck to HC tonight.

I didn't put Huntingdon down by any means with my last post. I simply stated that going from 2A HC to 2A Huntingdon would be a lateral move in terms of school classification, that's all. I think Coach Swenson will have some bigger schools (3A, 4A) express interest if he thinks of leaving HC to go elsewhere. And it's your boy H-TOWN POSSY that starts all this by cranking up the rumor mill.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Camden to Huntingdon is a lateral move when you consider that Huntingdon is something like 46-8 all-time vs. Camden and if you throw in Mckenzie, Huntingdon is something like 110-18 against both schools. As for playing small ball everybody around here is playing small ball. If you could have seen the team I saw tonight in St. Xavier Louisville they beat a good Marshall County Kentucky team tonight 65-0. St. X made anything I saw all year look like Pop Warner.

Swenson is in an area where he could go 3-5A. He may come home but I agree with LU, he may find another rebuilder or he may surprise everybody and stay where he's at. You can check the record where he's been since he started and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. HC was the ultimate test. Test passed.

A move from Camden to Huntingdon is a lateral move? You need to get off that Black & Gold KoolAid!!!!!

I don't think Camden to Huntingdon is a lateral move when you consider that Huntingdon is something like 46-8 all-time vs. Camden and if you throw in Mckenzie, Huntingdon is something like 110-18 against both schools. As for playing small ball everybody around here is playing small ball. If you could have seen the team I saw tonight in St. Xavier Louisville they beat a good Marshall County Kentucky team tonight 65-0. St. X made anything I saw all year look like Pop Warner.

Times are a bit different now, and the culture has changed in Benton County. That's why I think it's a lateral move.

Yeah I've seen St. X. I live in Murray and a buddy of mine went to St. X. Many many many of the people I work with have kids that play for Marshall Co. in one sport or the other. I didn't think MC had a snowball's chance in that game.

I'd love to watch St. X and Maryville hook up. Or Lexington Catholic....

Times are a-changing....alot more parity in west TN than ever before. Let's look at Camden/Huntingdon and McKenzie/Huntingdon in about ten years...you'll see my point.

As far as classification 2a Camden to 2a H-Town is a lateral move. However, when looking at records against the two schools Huntingdon does have the edge, but the tides are turning my friend. When talking about either Coach Ward leaving Camden or Coach Mansfield leaving Huntingdon forget neither one of these prolific coaches are leaving their programs. Coach Mansfeild has had to many great seasons to leave now, and Coach Ward still has things he feels he needs to prove( LIke Winning State). SO I don't see either of these two great, amazing, intelligent, hard working, deserving(I realize I left out some descriptive adjectives to long of a list for these great coaches) coaches leaving in the near future.

As far as people playing small ball you need to travel out to Colorado. I saw the 3a, 4a, and 5a state championship games out there this past week, and you'll see BIG BOYS. I've never seen teams with the amount of size these teams had. QB's were tall and hefty, running backs weren't the fastest but very strong. The Fullbacks looked like linmen running the ball. A very important fact that you over looked though is the fact that this is Tennessee not Missouri or Colorado, and therefore the size and abilities of any team outside of Tennessee does not matter. The reason it doesn't matter is because our bopys only have to play teams in state, unless they choose to play teams out of state.

Times are a-changing....alot more parity in west TN than ever before. Let's look at Camden/Huntingdon and McKenzie/Huntingdon in about ten years...you'll see my point.

I wouldn't think that you could figure anything out in 10 years. Each team in each year has it's own merit. Both Camden and McKenzie had good teams this year and we got beat period. Read Duckman's posts. He tries to give insight to the teams he is talking about and not go out and talk about parity or Huntingdon getting "drilled" according to Butchie. I'm not going to post about past records or who drilled who...

I said earlier in the year that Camden got a break and played in a weak region last year.. Same as this year. I said earlier in the year if we played in Camden/LC region last year we would have made the playoffs.. Nobody knows nothing for sure. Each year there is a team out there loaded up with seniors that makes a strong run to the Buro... If Camden and Huntingdon had been in the toughest region 8AA they would have finished 3rd and you're looking at Huntingdon missing out again possibly.

On a sad note, Huntingdon lost an icon to West Tennessee football when Coach Paul Ward passed away on Saturday. There's nothing one can say on a forum like this to tell all of you what he meant to some many of his "boys". He had an all-time record of 169-62-6 for a 71% winning percentage. He had 3 undefeated teams and had 7 teams with only one loss.

Good luck to the Rebels this weekend. I think this is the most exciting weekend to be able to play for a chance to go to the Boro.... Getting there is icing on the cake.. I'll be there unless it's coming a monsoon. I'm not much of a fence watcher though. I can't see a thing from standing on the sidelines... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> GO REBELS...

I wouldn't think that you could figure anything out in 10 years. Each team in each year has it's own merit. Both Camden and McKenzie had good teams this year and we got beat period. Read Duckman's posts. He tries to give insight to the teams he is talking about and not go out and talk about parity or Huntingdon getting "drilled" according to Butchie. I'm not going to post about past records or who drilled who...

I said earlier in the year that Camden got a break and played in a weak region last year.. Same as this year. I said earlier in the year if we played in Camden/LC region last year we would have made the playoffs.. Nobody knows nothing for sure. Each year there is a team out there loaded up with seniors that makes a strong run to the Buro... If Camden and Huntingdon had been in the toughest region 8AA they would have finished 3rd and you're looking at Huntingdon missing out again possibly.

On a sad note, Huntingdon lost an icon to West Tennessee football when Coach Paul Ward passed away on Saturday. There's nothing one can say on a forum like this to tell all of you what he meant to some many of his "boys". He had an all-time record of 169-62-6 for a 71% winning percentage. He had 3 undefeated teams and had 7 teams with only one loss.

Good luck to the Rebels this weekend. I think this is the most exciting weekend to be able to play for a chance to go to the Boro.... Getting there is icing on the cake.. I'll be there unless it's coming a monsoon. I'm not much of a fence watcher though. I can't see a thing from standing on the sidelines... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> GO REBELS...

Sorry Mr. Mustang if my talk of parity offends your sensibilities but the facts show I'm right. I could name 15 teams in west TN across the classifications that on any given night could beat the other. It wasn't too long ago that you could not have said that many...maybe 5 at the most. That is what I'm talking about more parity, which can only be a good thing if west TN ever has a chance of catching up to the privates and east TN.

I Have Always Had Respect For Huntingdon And My Drilled Statement Was After Lions4ever's Post. That Was A Phrase He Used And I Posted It To Remind Him Of It. I Was In No Way Referring To Huntingdon Negatively. During Our game Mckenzie/Huntingdon We Were Shocked Weathers Wasn't Ran More. You Guys Would Get Down Field With Him And Then Switch To Passing? But Any Ways That's Football. We Were lucky To Have Won That One. Good Luck To The Mustangs And I'm Sure Ya'll Will Field A Contender You Always Do. http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10

Sorry to hear about the loss of a Huntingdon legend!!! His name means Huntingdon Mustang Football!!! Prayers to his family!!!