HUNTINGDON -

H-TOWN POSSY

Offense is the only place where you have to have naturally gifted players. To be a lethal offense you have to have strong linemen, quick backs with atleast decent strength, receivers who can block and catch well, and a QB who can and will lead the offense. Without these things your team will struggle obviously. However, on Defense you don't have to have the most naturally gifted athletes. On defense all you need is a kid who ain't afraid to hit hard and often. Defense is purely physical, and because of this you can have some of the least gifted and still succeed.

SO basing drop offs on that, your Offense should have some drop offs through the years, but your defense should never have drop offs. This fact is true of any team with a good coach, and a team that has a few tough, mean players. Granted a team with less natural talent will lose to the team with more talent in most cases, but there a few rarities where a team in with less talent beats a team with more talent. Examples from this year alone Trenton v.s. Westveiw and Trenton v.s. Milan. We know Milan and Westveiw has more natural athletes than Trenton, but yet Trenton is th one playing this week. My question is how do you explain the fact that Trenton a team with less natural athletes than those two teams, beat the two teams with more natural talent?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true freeacen but the difference between an above average team and late playoffs state championship team is the athlete. This is in no way a knock on Trenton but I do not think that Trenton has had near the athletes Milan has been blessed with. I think back in the last several years and I see Rod Smith, Daylan Walker, Doc Roberson, Terricus Davis, Victor Kidd etc...who played for Milan. I look at Trenton the last several years and outside of Harper and Johnson I can't think of a great, game changing athlete. 2, 3, 4 years ago Scott was head coach, what was Trenton's record? 2-8 or there about. They didn't have the athletes to compete. With that lack of talent Trenton had in those years they were going to be bad regardless of program expectations. Now you've got 2 of the best athletes in 2A and you're in the semis. You can buid expectations and but the vast majority of sucess is due to the quality of athletes.

Bulldawgs#1... You just named backs only.. Think about the great linemen who played for Milan.. Pup Johnson, Burkes and King and on and on. Burkes killed us forever. This year Milan's line outweighed us and average of 75lbs. across the front. Throw in Hansen and put him up against a 215lb. sophomore and guess who wins that battle. Middleton's coach could get 7 wins out of that team from Milan this year. That's not parity, that having studs on the field. This year it's Trenton who is the surprise and McKenzie is legit this year. Will they both win their region next year? They'll have the same coaches but lose lots of seniors.

This is true freeacen but the difference between an above average team and late playoffs state championship team is the athlete. This is in no way a knock on Trenton but I do not think that Trenton has had near the athletes Milan has been blessed with. I think back in the last several years and I see Rod Smith, Daylan Walker, Doc Roberson, Terricus Davis, Victor Kidd etc...who played for Milan. I look at Trenton the last several years and outside of Harper and Johnson I can't think of a great, game changing athlete. 2, 3, 4 years ago Scott was head coach, what was Trenton's record? 2-8 or there about. They didn't have the athletes to compete. With that lack of talent Trenton had in those years they were going to be bad regardless of program expectations. Now you've got 2 of the best athletes in 2A and you're in the semis. You can buid expectations and but the vast majority of sucess is due to the quality of athletes.

Yes, bulldawg, athletes make all the difference, and even though I am from Trenton, I must admit that it seems like Milan coaches have a special order catalog for athletes. They have had some awesome ones.

Yeah, Peabody was 2-8 in Scott's first year.

Peabody struggled to find a qb until about 3/4 the way through Scott's second year, when, he started using Harper as a sophomore. Then things turned around. Another thing that helped was the addition of Doug Argo as offensive coordinator. That put Scott back in his comfort zone as O-line coach and D-coordinator. A good fit for all involved.

People have slighted Peabody's coaching staff, but I am here to tell you they have some pretty sharp men. Scott truly knows how to coach o-line well, and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has worked harder at learning defensive schemes. Argo is a good offensive coordinator and has a passion for the game. Little known is Ricky Hooker. Hooker has been with the Tide for something like 27-28 years. He coaches receivers, I think, and Defensive Ends. Tell me Trenton hasn't had some pretty good defensive ends. Paul Hudson, receivers, special teams, and secondary, has made the most out of what is Trenton's weakest point, their secondary. Also, they have a volunteer named Hodges who, I am pretty sure, helps with the o-line and could fill in for Scott as D-coordinator at any moment.

All but Argo of these guys are Peabody alums. They love their town and school and I couldn't be happier for them.

The most impressive thing about these men is their focus is on the kids and kids alone. Scott couldn't care two turds about records. He is just loving seeing those kids succeed. It is great to see a kid-focused program do well.

Well, I guess that is enough bleeding heart info. And I have shown my true colors....

BLACK AND GOLD.

GO PEABODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I also respect your opinion...but let me give you some examples of what I'm talking about. Let's take Camden...as rcombs said..a perennial bottom feeder in AA for many years. Coach Ward comes in 2003...the Lions have a 6-5 season, go to the playoffs and almost upset #1 Lewis co as a #4 seed. Next season, Quarterfinals with 11-2 record and their only losses to the defending state champ Mustangs....next season after graduating a large senior class, Quarterfinal appearance...2006 region champ, ...etc...etc... to what the Lions are today...a contender respected by all comers. Do you really think that that happened on some strange coincidence? We have graduated at least 12 and as many as 15 seniors every year since 2003 and there has been no drop off. We actually had a time between 2003 and 2005 were we had LESS students than in 2003 so it can't be that. We have little to no industry in this county and what we did have way back during the cellar dwellar years has dried up and blown away. So what is it that changed Camden football for good? (I hope) Great coaching...which brought about community and business support. It was all coaching with a capital C.

Look what has happened to Bruceton since Sturdivant stepped down...for that matter don't you think Huntingdon football changed when Eric Swenson left town? Look at Dyer co a new coach...a new system that fits their players strengths and they are suddenly region champs....sounds mighty familiar to me (see above paragraph for reminders) Even McKenzie...they dropped down to where they should be because of population, play a system that fits their strengths and hides their weaknesses and they are in the hunt every year. I think when Huntingdon drops down where they should be they will also be in the hunt.

I just don't see how you can't see the nose right in front of your face...coaching has changed things either for the better with some teams or the worse for some of the unlucky ones. The one good thing for West TN is that there seems to be alot more great coaches instead of a bunch of good/mediocre ones just drawing their supplement.

I agee with much of what is in this post. One coach can make alot of difference in a program. For years here in huntingdon we have had great coaches, great players, community support, etc. etc. etc. I always like to go back and look to see when a team excelled and then I like to see what the "x" factor was that caused it. Here we've been blessed with much athleticism, support, and all that good stuff so thats a push. So then it comes down to coaching and that tells the story for me, bottom line.

I agee with much of what is in this post. One coach can make alot of difference in a program. For years here in huntingdon we have had great coaches, great players, community support, etc. etc. etc. I always like to go back and look to see when a team excelled and then I like to see what the "x" factor was that caused it. Here we've been blessed with much athleticism, support, and all that good stuff so thats a push. So then it comes down to coaching and that tells the story for me, bottom line.

I have to diagree with you on this. The 2003 team with Nellett,Bell, Wallace,Hillsman,Parrish, and Hampton, on and on. You and I could have coached them to a 8-2 record and them have a Gleason jersey on. They had the hosses.

Put 3-4 players on Huntingdon's team this year from Trenton (Harper)? or Milan and Huntingdon would be playing in the semi's again this year.

Offense is the only place where you have to have naturally gifted players. To be a lethal offense you have to have strong linemen, quick backs with atleast decent strength, receivers who can block and catch well, and a QB who can and will lead the offense. Without these things your team will struggle obviously. However, on Defense you don't have to have the most naturally gifted athletes. On defense all you need is a kid who ain't afraid to hit hard and often. Defense is purely physical, and because of this you can have some of the least gifted and still succeed.

SO basing drop offs on that, your Offense should have some drop offs through the years, but your defense should never have drop offs. This fact is true of any team with a good coach, and a team that has a few tough, mean players. Granted a team with less natural talent will lose to the team with more talent in most cases, but there a few rarities where a team in with less talent beats a team with more talent. Examples from this year alone Trenton v.s. Westveiw and Trenton v.s. Milan. We know Milan and Westveiw has more natural athletes than Trenton, but yet Trenton is th one playing this week. My question is how do you explain the fact that Trenton a team with less natural athletes than those two teams, beat the two teams with more natural talent?

The same reason nobody can stop West Virginia. You get two backs back there that are raw, your going to score points almost every drive. That offense is just hard to stop when you have the RIGHT people running it. You cant just throw some no name back there and run it.

I agree you must have great athletes, bad players in a good program will not get it done. But high expectations make great/good athletes strive to be better! And teams respond to that.

I see several post here talking about Coach Scotts first year. Yes we went 2-8, but did everyone forget one of those two wins came at Milan? Was that a fluke? Did Peabody have better athletes? (no way) Or was it the expectations the kids put on themselves? IMO Peabody willed themselves to that win. Another point, Peabody has had a great deal of good players at key positions, T.Fields,Dickson,Lawhorn,D. Fields, etc. The problem has been with the supporting cast, not lack of athletes.

That, IMO, is where expectations, drive, and work ethic becomes a crucial factor.

Alot of facts coming out in this thread now and not disputing any of them, but keep in mind that you are comparing one of the smallest schools in AA to one of the largest in AA.... There is quite a bit discrepency in the enrollment figures..... Milan is as close to AAA as we are A. Would I want that, dont know, but we would be there (deep playoffs) every year if we were one of the largest schools playing in A. We have proven that by the our record against the best that class has to offer, even when we didnt have the special team that we do this year.

And before the attacks begin, YES Milan could compete and go deep in the AAA playoffs each year. I feel that Trenton, Westview, Milan,Huntingdon and Camden could compete every year in AAA. Thats a proven fact. McKenzie has proven that it could compete every year in AA. When these teams are beating each other up throughout the season, it becomes comparable to playing in the SEC.... Thats is why it is gonna be more and more difficult to go undefeated in the SEC...... It is a BATTLE every week, whether you are playing Vanderbilt or LSU.... Much like our Region has become.... Wins are never assured any more hese days, even GC and/or Dresden. Those programs have HAD to get better to compete and they have done that.... regardless that Dresden was down this year and not as competitive.

Alot of facts coming out in this thread now and not disputing any of them, but keep in mind that you are comparing one of the smallest schools in AA to one of the largest in AA.... There is quite a bit discrepency in the enrollment figures..... Milan is as close to AAA as we are A. Would I want that, dont know, but we would be there (deep playoffs) every year if we were one of the largest schools playing in A. We have proven that by the our record against the best that class has to offer, even when we didnt have the special team that we do this year.

That is very true, but IMO those years we played "A" ball in the early 90's hurt the program. The first year we ran rough shot over everyone at the "A" level, beat Milan and Humboldt, and went to the Cinic Bowl. The team was good that year but not great. It was the week in, week out, teams we had been playing, moving down the comp. had no chance. So if we moved down for ten years would we then become a middle of the road "A" team? Maybe. What if after ten years we moved back to "AA"? We become the new Gibson County! Case in point.........Returning basicly the same team that went to the Clinic Bowl...............>

The next year after playing a "soft scedual" the year before, we made it to the second round of the playoffs. The next year we moved back to "AA" ball, and the trouble begain. When you don't have tough games every week, I think you sometimes start playing down to the level of your opp. And we cant do that in "AA". I had rather Peabody stay "AA" and continue to build on this years success. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is very true, but IMO those years we played "A" ball in the early 90's hurt the program. The first year we ran rough shot over everyone at the "A" level, beat Milan and Humboldt, and went to the Cinic Bowl. The team was good that year but not great. It was the week in, week out, teams we had been playing, moving down the comp. had no chance. So if we moved down for ten years would we then become a middle of the road "A" team? Maybe. What if after ten years we moved back to "AA"? We become the new Gibson County! Case in point.........Returning basicly the same team that went to the Clinic Bowl...............>

The next year after playing a "soft scedual" the year before, we made it to the second round of the playoffs. The next year we moved back to "AA" ball, and the trouble begain. When you don't have tough games every week, I think you sometimes start playing down to the level of your opp. And we cant do that in "AA". I had rather Peabody stay "AA" and continue to build on this years success. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Dont disagree with anything that you said in that post... That is why I qualified my comment earlier with "dont know" if i would want tus to do that..... USJ was a case in point, it is taking them a while to get tothe level to compete week in and week out in AA... JSC was able to do it this year because they had an outstanding class returning from last years state champion team. Dresden was on there way but they hit one of those years this season and alot of it had nothing to do with the talent being bad. Coaching change is always tough and they have a good one in place now if they will let HIM run HIS program.

freacenne, i luv u maean, buot u hav goyt tu fiend a spl chqur /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />