Preds Playoff Chances

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Dandy, your crystal ball seems to be in focus.

Looking back over the year, the Preds have IMO exceeded expectations, particularly on the offensive end. Losing all of their fire power from last year, it was assumed that this would be a weak point. Bonk probably has as many goals as Kariya, surprisingly enough.

What I didn't foresee was that defense would still be a problem (haven't we drafted virtually nothing but defensive help for the last ten years?), and that the goalie situation would be tepid at best.

Mason looks like the classic Drew Bennett story- good #2, not strong enough for a #1 position. Volkun is not having a great year in Florida either.

Just a few weeks left and things are tight- a loss could zoom you to the bottom, a win could ride you to a playoff spot.

Too bad our finances weren't such we could've made some trade-deadline moves.

However, I am encouraged by the new ownerships and look forward to the draft and next year- playoffs now or not.

Dandy, your crystal ball seems to be in focus.

Looking back over the year, the Preds have IMO exceeded expectations, particularly on the offensive end. Losing all of their fire power from last year, it was assumed that this would be a weak point. Bonk probably has as many goals as Kariya, surprisingly enough.

What I didn't foresee was that defense would still be a problem (haven't we drafted virtually nothing but defensive help for the last ten years?), and that the goalie situation would be tepid at best.

Mason looks like the classic Drew Bennett story- good #2, not strong enough for a #1 position. Volkun is not having a great year in Florida either.

Just a few weeks left and things are tight- a loss could zoom you to the bottom, a win could ride you to a playoff spot.

Too bad our finances weren't such we could've made some trade-deadline moves.

However, I am encouraged by the new ownerships and look forward to the draft and next year- playoffs now or not.

Yep, scoring goals is not our issue....Defense is....and the goalie situation is not great but as many breakdowns we have will destroy the confidence of a goalie.

We can play defense when we need it...witness our 8 shutouts this year, but with a bunch of cookie cutter guys, same size, I believe the grind wears on them. Wish we could have made a bigger move, but i understand why Poile and the new owners did not want to waste an abundant of young talent (defensive) on a possible rental player..... More than interested on who will get traded in the offseason...We got enough defensive guys to go out and get help where needed.

Nashville is barely hanging on to the eight spot and needs a big win over Vancouver tonight to keep the Canucks at bay.

Didn't get the "W" and played their signature defense last nite. This is what happens late in the year when when the grind sets in and your defensive folks are not too big, strong or physical....

or half the team is on the IR or scratches. lol

oh preds.. I could go for seeing a few more from 303.. lets just hope they pull some more points out in the next few games.. STARTING WITH THE RED WINGS.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> heh.. I know right.. I can be optimistic.

Preds playoff chances?

Playoffs?

Did you say "PLAYOFFS?"

Playoffs?

Give me a break.

Playoffs?

Playoffs?

Dump both Mason and Ellis. This team has never developed an identity this season, and won't now. If we score, we don't play defense. If we play defense (on occasision), we can't score. Nothing beyond the first line and 1/3.

And we couldn't stop a puck if it was made out of marshmallows. After the Red Wing game, yea, I'm PO'd. Six straight loses at home, in front of the biggest crowds of the season. Great timing for taking a dive. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Preds playoff chances?

Playoffs?

Did you say "PLAYOFFS?"

Playoffs?

Give me a break.

Playoffs?

Playoffs?

Dump both Mason and Ellis. This team has never developed an identity this season, and won't now. If we score, we don't play defense. If we play defense (on occasision), we can't score. Nothing beyond the first line and 1/3.

And we couldn't stop a puck if it was made out of marshmallows. After the Red Wing game, yea, I'm PO'd. Six straight loses at home, in front of the biggest crowds of the season. Great timing for taking a dive. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Interesting they brought in Rinne to play today only to be held up by a storm. I don't know what to think about that move. I would not do it myself. If I did not believe I could make the playoffs, I'd play Ellis to showcase him for a trade this offseason. Don't know if we could trade Mason, possibly making too much money.

Our defensive players are making so many mental errors, Terry and Crispy pointed them out on TV today (didn't make the game, watched it on the tube) and honestly, if Ellis does not play well today, we get beat 4-2 in regulation.

Colorado isn't playing well. Edmonton is and in a must win today against Colorado gets the job done.

As for the team.....We need to dump a couple of D-men via trades. They are not getting the job done at all. Keep Weber, although he isn't playin' well either. As for the others, take your pick, two need to be gone. Get rid of devries too. I thought his experience would help the young guys, but it has not, imo.

We need a forward to compliment Erat, if we re-sign him. Keep 3rd and 4th liners Nichol, Tootoo and the new guys, but replace the rest. Ortmeyer has no talent, Gelinas is too old.... Smithsons, Fiddlers are a dime a dozen and if we are gonna have thay type of player, I want them 20 lbs heavier. Keep Hordi....Good in the community and knows his roll. While Bonk was great early, he has clearly slipped, but has been victimized by a poor defense.

I won't mention our PP, because we do not have one.

Last week of the season. Ellis has turned into Gump Worsley, and sets a freaking franchise record for consecutive shutout minutes. Where has THAT been all season? Did Renne physically threaten him, or what?

Need to sweep this week- any losses and the Preds are Dead.

What do you think? Do they pull this out of the fire, or collapse and burn?

(Can't believe Suter missed an open net against the Wings!!!)