Gallatin Football

gmfatf5

Can anyone from Gallatin tell us why they are struggling? They used 2 be such a dominant team in the 80's and early 90's. I love those Green Bay Packer helmets and unis! Is everyone else catching up--parity--or could something be done differently to improve the program? Also, whatever happened to Oak Ridge, Lincoln Co., JCM, and Germantown? What happened 2 their dominance as well?

Can anyone from Gallatin tell us why they are struggling? They used 2 be such a dominant team in the 80's and early 90's. I love those Green Bay Packer helmets and unis! Is everyone else catching up--parity--or could something be done differently to improve the program? Also, whatever happened to Oak Ridge, Lincoln Co., JCM, and Germantown? What happened 2 their dominance as well?

I'm not a Gallatin fan, but I recall that they were a top flight program in the '60's and '70's as well, and probably prior to that. I would suspect that some of the "trouble" there stems from the opening or enlarging of other schools in the area (thinking specifically of Station Camp).

The opening of Station Camp has definitely hurt all the teams around there. Do many Gallatin-zoned students go to JP2?

I've got no idea, but Gallatin is big enough to support a Catholic church and K-8 school. I would think that Ryan would have been an awfully long haul for that crowd (either the old or the new campus), but JP II would certainly be a reasonable drive from Gallatin.

The Gallatin team this year will have alot of juniors back for a big senior class and many sophmores will be ready for playing time as well as juniors...I visited them earlier this week actually and it seems there is a new attitude surrounding them this yearhope to see some of that 80's dominance againThe Gallatin team this year will have alot of juniors back for a big senior class and many sophmores will be ready for playing time as well as juniors...I visited them earlier this week actually and it seems there is a new attitude surrounding them this yearhope to see some of that 80's dominance again

I'm not a Gallatin fan, but I recall that they were a top flight program in the '60's and '70's as well, and probably prior to that. I would suspect that some of the "trouble" there stems from the opening or enlarging of other schools in the area (thinking specifically of Station Camp).

It is funny how people say that Station Camp has hurt Gallatin when the truth of the matter is most of the kids that are enrolled at Station Camp come from the Hendersonville area. SCHS just happens to be barely inside the border to be called a Gallatin school. If any one has a gripe about the talent, it should be Hendersonville, but nobody hears them crying.

I know several kids that go to JPII and they all agree that the only two boys that go there that are not from H'ville/G'letsville live in Cottontown and play hockey, not football. JPII has no effect on Gallatin so far as I can tell.

Gallatin's problem, in my opinion, is that they don't run an overall program that makes kids want to play. Gallatin's offense has always been based on one guy running the ball 25+ times a game and rarely passing it.

Now the teams thatyou see playing in the title games every year are teams that throw it around a lot. I don't think that is strictly because of Xs and Os. I think the reason you keep seeing those kinds of teams do well is because the offense gets the kids excited. The offense is not based on one or two players, but four, five or six. So more kids stay involved and more kids want to participate.

For years Gallatin has had kids walking the halls that could field a top three football team every year. But many

kids simple don't want anything to do with the program. One reason is what I just mentioned. The other is the fact that there is so much emphasis and pressure from the community that many kids, I think, simply don't want to deal with it. Fans (like me probably) rip the team apart when they play poorly and make it such a big deal that I'm sure many kids just don't think its worth it. Too many fathers and grandfathers shoving "Green Wave Football" down kids throats for 13 years that by the time they get to high school they are sick of it and hate football. So they either choose to avoid the program all together, or play on the team but don't really care.

I think that is what happened this year. A lot of kids that just didn't care. One of the four Gallatin teams that I played on had a senior class that didn't care, and guess what- we had a loosing season. Funny how that works I guess.

I know several kids that go to JPII and they all agree that the only two boys that go there that are not from H'ville/G'letsville live in Cottontown and play hockey, not football. JPII has no effect on Gallatin so far as I can tell.

Gallatin's problem, in my opinion, is that they don't run an overall program that makes kids want to play. Gallatin's offense has always been based on one guy running the ball 25+ times a game and rarely passing it.

Now the teams thatyou see playing in the title games every year are teams that throw it around a lot. I don't think that is strictly because of Xs and Os. I think the reason you keep seeing those kinds of teams do well is because the offense gets the kids excited. The offense is not based on one or two players, but four, five or six. So more kids stay involved and more kids want to participate.

For years Gallatin has had kids walking the halls that could field a top three football team every year. But many

kids simple don't want anything to do with the program. One reason is what I just mentioned. The other is the fact that there is so much emphasis and pressure from the community that many kids, I think, simply don't want to deal with it. Fans (like me probably) rip the team apart when they play poorly and make it such a big deal that I'm sure many kids just don't think its worth it. Too many fathers and grandfathers shoving "Green Wave Football" down kids throats for 13 years that by the time they get to high school they are sick of it and hate football. So they either choose to avoid the program all together, or play on the team but don't really care.

I think that is what happened this year. A lot of kids that just didn't care. One of the four Gallatin teams that I played on had a senior class that didn't care, and guess what- we had a loosing season. Funny how that works I guess.

I think you summed it up pretty well...

"Too many fathers and grandfathers shoving "Green Wave Football" down kids throats for 13 years that by the time they get to high school they are sick of it and hate football. So they either choose to avoid the program all together, or play on the team but don't really care."

This past years team seemed to be loaded with kids that didn't seem to care and they weren't all seniors... don't be surprised if it happens again next season.

"Gallatin's problem, in my opinion, is that they don't run an overall program that makes kids want to play. Gallatin's offense has always been based on one guy running the ball 25+ times a game and rarely passing it."

Nothing was more evident this past season than the GHS offense being based on one player and it greatly limited the offense, IMO..

Yea you definatley summed it all up there pretty well.......good post