Big 9 Conference

Floor_General22

I just seen on TriCitiesSports today where Keith Cradic needs about 19 point to become Volunteer's all-time leading scorer.

The person he is going to pass is Chucky Lindholm, who played for Volunteer about 3 or 4 years ago when them and Central were still in AA. The thing is Chucky accumulated all those points in just 3 years, because his senior year he transferred to Twin Springs. He may have scored over 2500 points if he would have stayed there his senior year. I wish that Central, Volunteer and Elizabethton could have been in AAA during those years.

P.S. Does anyone else besides me remember when the Kingsport (now SW VA) Times-News gave previews about the upcoming games in the area and also had little weekly columns about some of the standout players from the previous week (I think it was in the "Sportsporri" section)? Now we are lucky to get an article about the game the next day. I know that the internet has probably hurt their business and they have had to have some cutbacks but it just doesn't make sense to me to have articles on NBA and NHL games instead of articles highlighting local athletics. If I wanted to read an article on the Suns/Spurs game I would pick up a copy of USA Today. The Times-News still has good writers (Bill Lane) but unfortunately that does not make up for the lack of coverage they have given the Tri-Cities teams.

Which brings me to my last rant about the Times-News. Does anyone know when they decided to change their coverage from the Tri-Cities area to the SW-VA area? Does someone in charge there have a girl who plays volleyball for Gate City or something? I remember last year on a Sunday where the front page of the sports was the all SW-VA girls Volleyball Team picture and article instead of articles about local high school basketball games the night before.

Has anyone else noticed these changes or is it just me?

All you had to do was look at the size of the basketball preview. I don't think any team got a full write up and most teams only got a paragraph or 2. The way I understand the situation at the Times News was they wanted to cut $$$ and choose to pull as much stuff as they can from the AP wire and Ron Bliss left because they wanted to cut back instead of expand there coverage (I think he wanted to cover UT recruiting very heavy and they poo-pood the idea) and thus we have tricitiessports.com. Also, I think Bill Lane is a Gate City grad so....

I emailed the paper back some time ago with basically what you said and was replied that the circulation area covers those communities and those kids deserve the coverage just the same. Which I agree with but would dare say the majority of there subscriptions (money) comes from Kingsport residents and they should get priority. Heck, they didn't even have a boxscore the next day from the DB@Crockett game yet one of the SWVa schools had a huge article with photos! Sad I doubt the JC Press covers Boone over Science Hill in anything yet that paper is circulated in Gray/Boones Creek.

I agree Bill Lane is an excellent writer and I love the "memory Lane" piece every week.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to a few of the 'tImEs nEwS" people in the past about their sports coverage. Never have I got a answer that made any sinse. I have been told a couple of times that the editor is a long time resident of Gate City. I can't say thats true or not because I have no ideal who the editor is. If its true then that would explain why Gate City High School gets the best coverage from the paper. It can't be a Southwest Va. thing because nobody else in Southwest Va. gets a fraction of the coverage that Gate City receives. Everyother newspaper that I know of supports their hometown teams. Im just glad TriCitiesSports.com came along when they did. They have great coverage of all teams in the area. Kingsport would be a good city to start a newspaper if someone wanted to get into the business. Kingsport Times News is pretty pathetic from front to back so it would probably be pretty easy to put them out of business.

The DB Indians demolished Sullivan South tonight on the Road. There was a ref... let's call him Homer Simpson (dead ringer) who was even more out of his league than the Rebels... believe it or not!! Pathetic. This guy would have been intimidated by 7-8 yr old Rec League Players, what a joke. Are they that hard up? If he ever Refs another HS Game, it is a shame.

DB wins at least a share of the Big 9 Title tonight. Bronson Flack ruled the paint, as did anyone the Indians had in the game. South took cheap shot after cheap shot on #32 Jamel Williams.

Beat those Toppers next Tuesday in the Dome!!

Roll Tribe Roll

If any refs dont need to be reffing anymore its the ones at Tenn High tonight. They just would not let the Cougars win. The cougars were up at half even though they had 10 fouls compared to TH's 2. Third quarter they still had the lead but then here come the refs... again... at the end of the game TH wins with central having 20 fouls and TH only having 8. and no it not because we were tryin to foul at the end to get the ball back it was just a horrible i mean horrible called game.

Its not even the refs at the game tonight, its every big 9 ref out there. They are just a joke

I give props to THS's refs, as being the worse in the big 9. They played a very well game due to the refs helping them every chance they could. And we all know the Big 9 has very poor refs. Central played very well without having starting point guard, Mickey Brown, due to an ankle problem. Also, #42 for Tennessee High is a very rough player and I hope he can control his attitude before he messes with the wrong person and gets knocked down.

DB over South (refs..we don't need no stinkin' refs!)

SH over Crockett (see not above)

Boone over Volunteer (Boone rushes for 200 and Volunteer has a late TD called back on a controversial holding call...stinkin refs! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)

TN High over Central (TN High's personal refs will work the game allowing the Vikes to pull this one out /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

You could not have called it any better. The first half of this game was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in high school basketball. No exaggeration, and the second half was the 2nd worst half I have seen. If this game was called anywhere near fair we win by 15 or more. TN High shot 22 foul shots to our 5. But that doesn't even begin to show the real story. Anytime we started to get any kind of lead by about 10 or more the refs would call either a lane violation on a free throw, moving screen, a phantom walk, 3 seconds or a foul not even near the ball to allow TN High to get back in the game. Then once we hit a 2 minute stretch where we struggled to score TN High hits a couple of shots and it was over for us. whereas if we had gotten a fair shake we would have weathered that because we would have been up 20 points. Once TN High got the lead all they had to do was throw it near the paint and the refs were going to call a foul on us.

The refs let TN High's post players just kill people inside on their zone and there is nothing you can do about but hope that somehow you can knock the people of your arms long enough (and without getting a crazy offensive foul called on you) to somehow muster the ball up to the goal. Funny thing was that TN High actually went to a man-to-man for about 3 possessions and we get 3 easy buckets because they didn't have any of their goons inside near the bucket to hammer us when we took it up. They quickly got away from that and went back to their usual going over the back and beating people under the goal. People want to go off on Volunteer for their physical play but really TN High in my opinion is worse than they are. Volunteer may be physical but they at leadt get called for those fouls, where as TN High does not.

But it has been like this for the last 10 years or so because of the Arby's. As long as TN High gets to appoint refs to this tournament then they are always going to get the benefit of the doubt, but tonight it was just put to the extreme. In my opinion TN High has not had a good team since Kevin Springs, John Sproles and Davey Wilson played. These TN High teams should be thankful everyday for the Arby's or they would be a consistent cellar dweller.

One of the refs we had tonight used to call in District 2 but for some reason is calling Big 9 games now. I mean what is the deal? Did we not have enough terrible refs that we had to go and get some from another District? Was this guy like last the final piece to the all-time worst officiating crew ever and we finally got all 3 of them teamed up together tonight?

You could not have called it any better. The first half of this game was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in high school basketball. No exaggeration, and the second half was the 2nd worst half I have seen. If this game was called anywhere near fair we win by 15 or more. TN High shot 22 foul shots to our 5. But that doesn't even begin to show the real story. Anytime we started to get any kind of lead by about 10 or more the refs would call either a lane violation on a free throw, moving screen, a phantom walk, 3 seconds or a foul not even near the ball to allow TN High to get back in the game. Then once we hit a 2 minute stretch where we struggled to score TN High hits a couple of shots and it was over for us. whereas if we had gotten a fair shake we would have weathered that because we would have been up 20 points. Once TN High got the lead all they had to do was throw it near the paint and the refs were going to call a foul on us.

The refs let TN High's post players just kill people inside on their zone and there is nothing you can do about but hope that somehow you can knock the people of your arms long enough (and without getting a crazy offensive foul called on you) to somehow muster the ball up to the goal. Funny thing was that TN High actually went to a man-to-man for about 3 possessions and we get 3 easy buckets because they didn't have any of their goons inside near the bucket to hammer us when we took it up. They quickly got away from that and went back to their usual going over the back and beating people under the goal. People want to go off on Volunteer for their physical play but really TN High in my opinion is worse than they are. Volunteer may be physical but they at leadt get called for those fouls, where as TN High does not.

But it has been like this for the last 10 years or so because of the Arby's. As long as TN High gets to appoint refs to this tournament then they are always going to get the benefit of the doubt, but tonight it was just put to the extreme. In my opinion TN High has not had a good team since Kevin Springs, John Sproles and Davey Wilson played. These TN High teams should be thankful everyday for the Arby's or they would be a consistent cellar dweller.

One of the refs we had tonight used to call in District 2 but for some reason is calling Big 9 games now. I mean what is the deal? Did we not have enough terrible refs that we had to go and get some from another District? Was this guy like last the final piece to the all-time worst officiating crew ever and we finally got all 3 of them teamed up together tonight?

Could not state it any better.

BOOHOOHOO...What a sore looser!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I was actually going to give Central credit for playing well until I heard all the violins playing! Just face it you guys gave it your best shot and still came up short. Central came in with a guns a blazin, especially #10...he couldn't miss in the first half! The Vikings were outplayed for three straight quarters and then did an apparent gut check in the fourth and dominated the Cougars like they should have done from the start!! Your recall of the foul situation is ludicrous and when the box scores come out everyone on here will see you for what you are.

Cougarnation #42 is Thomas Turnbull three year letterman FREE SAFTY (I called him hit-man). You should be careful what you say because you know you guys can't even spell FOOTBALL!! Before or after the game you will not find a more respectful young man. On the field of play I think he has more of a "don't start non won't be non" personality, and in his case that "attitude" you refereed to would be better labeled as intensity. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I personally thought this was one of the better called games of this season. You guys are just use to the officials keeping you in the game...but it didn't work out tonight like it did against the Hill. You wouldn't convince me or anyone else that has seen you play and SHHS play that you beat them straight up. I still cant figure that out. That's almost a "loose your job" type loss for Cutlip IMO. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

By the way IMO Central won't HAVE another good team unless Dickie Warren comes out of retirement and they give Gabe Buchanan, Phillip Weatherford, and Justin Hess another year of high school eligibility. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

BOOHOOHOO...What a sore looser!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> I was actually going to give Central credit for playing well until I heard all the violins playing! Just face it you guys gave it your best shot and still came up short. Central came in with a guns a blazin, especially #10...he couldn't miss in the first half! The Vikings were outplayed for three straight quarters and then did an apparent gut check in the fourth and dominated the Cougars like they should have done from the start!! Your recall of the foul situation is ludicrous and when the box scores come out everyone on here will see you for what you are.

Cougarnation #42 is Thomas Turnbull three year letterman FREE SAFTY (I called him hit-man). You should be careful what you say because you know you guys can't even spell FOOTBALL!! Before or after the game you will not find a more respectful young man. On the field of play I think he has more of a "don't start non won't be non" personality, and in his case that "attitude" you refereed to would be better labeled as intensity. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I personally thought this was one of the better called games of this season. You guys are just use to the officials keeping you in the game...but it didn't work out tonight like it did against the Hill. You wouldn't convince me or anyone else that has seen you play and SHHS play that you beat them straight up. I still cant figure that out. That's almost a "loose your job" type loss for Cutlip IMO. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

By the way IMO Central won't HAVE another good team unless Dickie Warren comes out of retirement and they give Gabe Buchanan, Phillip Weatherford, and Justin Hess another year of high school eligibility. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The foul shots were 22 - 5 and you will see it for sure in the box score tomorrow. The foul count was around 22-8 also. Like you said though, we will see.

You can put whatever you want to on here. Anyone who saw the game tonight knows how bad it was. And it was not just the fouls, it was the ludicrous calls that just come out of nowhere, like the lane violation where nobody was even close to going over the line.

Cap1, I am done with you on here. You consistently put statements that are untrue on here and try to pass them of. If you wanna talk ball, just ask Phil who I am and see me at the districts when we play you all again.

I will say this though. The players for TN High are very respectful to the other players and are good kids. I am sure that Coach Witcher has taught them this. Its not TN High's players fault, they played hard and did what they had to do to win.

It is just a shame that the kids put in a ton of practice in week after week and then get officiating like that. I do not remember the officiating being that bad when I played and their is even a lot of the same guys out there. Maybe they loved Coach Warren or something, I don't know.

The great thing about this game though is that it really didn't mean a lot as far as seeding in the district goes. It looks like we are playing TN High again in the 4-5 game.