Big 9 Conference

Floor_General22

Sounds like TN High and Central are new rivals at the least! Sounds like a hard fought game. Can't comment though because I was not there but sounds like there is a bone to pick? I am interested because after DB, Central and TN High are probably my two favorite teams and both know how to pull out some upsets.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked at TriCities.com, I was just a little off. Foul count on there is 20-8 and TN High shot 21 free throws and we shot 5.

I don't see that article up yet. But, do you really think the refs were the reason for the loss? I mean TN High is one of those teams that can play your style you know? Central is the same way.

I don't see that article up yet. But, do you really think the refs were the reason for the loss? I mean TN High is one of those teams that can play your style you know? Central is the same way.

It is on tricities.com (Bristol Paper). It is not on TriCitiesSports.com yet.

bud, there is always a point in every game where a team hits a cold streak and struggles to score. Even in blowouts, there is always a small stretch where a team cannot either get in there offense or cannot make a bucket. We hit ours about 3 or 4 minutes into the 4th and I think we were up about 2 or 3 and Taylor Harmon hit a couple of big buckets to put them in the lead and they took the momentum from there.

Now, here is where the refs come into play. We are only up by 2 points at that time when, if the game is called anywhere close to fair, we are up 20 at this point and once they made that run we call a timeout, regroup and still have a sizable lead. This is how SH and DB put away teams, they get out to such a big lead that even when you make that late run on them you have used up everything you had just to get back in the game and make it close. This should have been a game where the JV players were getting time at the end. Every time we got a decent lead around 10 or so the refs would make unbelievable calls that would keep the ball on TN High's end until they scored.

OUCH! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I guess we got the answer to that question everyboby has been asking ( Is DB that good or is the Big9 that bad ) Sad to say the Big 9 is that bad.

DB lost to Hidden Valley (Salem Va.) today 71-57. It was not that close really. Hidden Valley was up 49-25 at the half and put up 8 easy points on DB before the Indians could score. I was waiting on this game to see where the Tribe stood. You might say we've played 3 good teams this year and lost all three by a wide margin. Not a good sign for when we hit the Knox area.

OUCH! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I guess we got the answer to that question everyboby has been asking ( Is DB that good or is the Big9 that bad ) Sad to say the Big 9 is that bad.

DB lost to Hidden Valley (Salem Va.) today 71-57. It was not that close really. Hidden Valley was up 49-25 at the half and put up 8 easy points on DB before the Indians could score. I was waiting on this game to see where the Tribe stood. You might say we've played 3 good teams this year and lost all three by a wide margin. Not a good sign for when we hit the Knox area.

I really don't understand why you schedule a road game 4 hours away, less than 24 hours after a conference game. These aren't NBA players. In my opinion, there was nothing to be gained and everything to lose by scheduling this game this way. DB had all the momentum as they attempt the finish the Big 9 with a perfect record. Now they are going into the Science Hill game and the conference tournament with their confidence shaken. Can anybody explain it to me?

I really don't understand why you schedule a road game 4 hours away, less than 24 hours after a conference game. These aren't NBA players. In my opinion, there was nothing to be gained and everything to lose by scheduling this game this way. DB had all the momentum as they attempt the finish the Big 9 with a perfect record. Now they are going into the Science Hill game and the conference tournament with their confidence shaken. Can anybody explain it to me?

I agree with you. This was poor scheduling but that only contributed to the loss.

However, there just were not enough out of conference games scheduled this year. Tell me, why don't they schedule more games with the Knoxville area teams? It's the only way to "toughen up" when you're a team in the Weak9 Conference. Seems that the same problem exists in the Basketball program that exists in the Football program.

On the other hand, according to the times news the Salem team is ranked #3 in AA and has an outstanding record. And besides, who among us is foolish enough to believe that this year's Indians are really in the top 10? The AP is always wrong. Don't get me wrong. This year's team is very good but I will be surprised if they go more than 1 game beyond substate. Even Van Huss knew what he was up against with those big West Tennessee teams.

I agree with you. This was poor scheduling but that only contributed to the loss.

However, there just were not enough out of conference games scheduled this year. Tell me, why don't they schedule more games with the Knoxville area teams? It's the only way to "toughen up" when you're a team in the Weak9 Conference. Seems that the same problem exists in the Basketball program that exists in the Football program.

On the other hand, according to the times news the Salem team is ranked #3 in AA and has an outstanding record. And besides, who among us is foolish enough to believe that this year's Indians are really in the top 10? The AP is always wrong. Don't get me wrong. This year's team is very good but I will be surprised if they go more than 1 game beyond substate. Even Van Huss knew what he was up against with those big West Tennessee teams.

Hidden Valley has a good team, but their not "special". They are ranked 3rd in 2A in Virginia. They have one guy that has signed on at Va. Tech. (not exactly a basketball powerhouse) I could not find where they had played out of their area, no big tournments or anything like that. So one has to figure that their area must be pretty strong in basketball. But then again seems like every time this areas best basketball teams play other areas we get our butts handed to us. Its been this way every since we lost Van Huss and George Pitts.

We harped on the schedualing in football for years until finally last year they got it right. And it really helped in the end as it made the football team better. Upper east tn. has always been weak in every sport. I don't think it is as much the athlets as it is coaching. It has been well estabilished how weak upper east tn. is. If you want to know how good your coach is look at his record against teams outside this area. I bet you would be suprised.

Charlie scheduled this game all for HIMSELF. They had a ceremony later in the evening where they honored him and his 2 state championship teams from VA. So, for all that talk about teamwork he does and constantly preaching its US and not ME, he needs to take a dose of his own medicine. As you said, DB had all the momentum coming into the Science Hill game and he takes his team 4 hours away the night after a conference game and lets them get their butt handed to them all so he can stand in the spotlight for a moment. Hmm...

Hidden Valley has a good team, but their not "special". They are ranked 3rd in 2A in Virginia. They have one guy that has signed on at Va. Tech. (not exactly a basketball powerhouse) I could not find where they had played out of their area, no big tournments or anything like that. So one has to figure that their area must be pretty strong in basketball. But then again seems like every time this areas best basketball teams play other areas we get our butts handed to us. Its been this way every since we lost Van Huss and George Pitts.

We harped on the schedualing in football for years until finally last year they got it right. And it really helped in the end as it made the football team better. Upper east tn. has always been weak in every sport. I don't think it is as much the athlets as it is coaching. It has been well estabilished how weak upper east tn. is. If you want to know how good your coach is look at his record against teams outside this area. I bet you would be suprised.

In what order would you rank coaches in the Big 9 from top to bottom?

And who do you think is the best coach in the area?