Big 9 Conference

Floor_General22

You could not have called it any better. The first half of this game was the worst officiated game I have ever seen in high school basketball. No exaggeration, and the second half was the 2nd worst half I have seen. If this game was called anywhere near fair we win by 15 or more. TN High shot 22 foul shots to our 5. But that doesn't even begin to show the real story. Anytime we started to get any kind of lead by about 10 or more the refs would call either a lane violation on a free throw, moving screen, a phantom walk, 3 seconds or a foul not even near the ball to allow TN High to get back in the game. Then once we hit a 2 minute stretch where we struggled to score TN High hits a couple of shots and it was over for us. whereas if we had gotten a fair shake we would have weathered that because we would have been up 20 points. Once TN High got the lead all they had to do was throw it near the paint and the refs were going to call a foul on us.

The refs let TN High's post players just kill people inside on their zone and there is nothing you can do about but hope that somehow you can knock the people of your arms long enough (and without getting a crazy offensive foul called on you) to somehow muster the ball up to the goal. Funny thing was that TN High actually went to a man-to-man for about 3 possessions and we get 3 easy buckets because they didn't have any of their goons inside near the bucket to hammer us when we took it up. They quickly got away from that and went back to their usual going over the back and beating people under the goal. People want to go off on Volunteer for their physical play but really TN High in my opinion is worse than they are. Volunteer may be physical but they at leadt get called for those fouls, where as TN High does not.

But it has been like this for the last 10 years or so because of the Arby's. As long as TN High gets to appoint refs to this tournament then they are always going to get the benefit of the doubt, but tonight it was just put to the extreme. In my opinion TN High has not had a good team since Kevin Springs, John Sproles and Davey Wilson played. These TN High teams should be thankful everyday for the Arby's or they would be a consistent cellar dweller.

One of the refs we had tonight used to call in District 2 but for some reason is calling Big 9 games now. I mean what is the deal? Did we not have enough terrible refs that we had to go and get some from another District? Was this guy like last the final piece to the all-time worst officiating crew ever and we finally got all 3 of them teamed up together tonight?

The losing team is always the team that cries about the refs. Thats all we have been hearing lately is about the refs. Now your saying Tennessee High hasnt had a good team since Spings, Sproles, and Wilson? Are you crazy? The team last year was good. They also had a team go to state a few years ago. So how can you say they havent had a good team since those guys played? For the record it shouldnt matter how bad the refs are if a team is up by 20, If the refs are as bad as you say, then why wouldnt the courgars just hold the ball. Apparently they werent as bad as your saying, otherwise your cougars would never have had a 20 point lead in the first place

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what order would you rank coaches in the Big 9 from top to bottom?

And who do you think is the best coach in the area?

1. Charlie Morgan

2. John Dyer

3. Tony Vaughn

4. Roby Whitcher

5. Ken Cutlip

6. Boone's coach,don't know his name.

7. Whittemore

8. Crockett's coach.

9. South

I think the best coach in the area is Coach English from Unicoi County.

There has been a lot said about the TN High/Central game and about the referees. I do not know what happened at that game, but if anyone thinks that we have the worst refs in this area, then by all means put your application in and get a striped shirt. These refs, whether you think good or bad of them, are out there instead of you. Hey! You will get in free to games and get paid to watch them and oversee the action. You may even get an all expense paid trip to one of the tournaments held during the holidays. Do refs make bad calls....yes. Do refs miss some calls...yes! BUT!!!!! They have chosen to be on the floor and YOU have chosen to be a spectator, so please do your part and spectate, not commentate. If you want that job of commentator, then please submit your applications to one of our fine radio stations, or better yet...spend the money and create your own radio station. No one comes to where you work and criticize the performance or lack there of what you do, with the execption of your boss. What if we had no referees to call games and the games got cut from our fine high school programs, then what? I will tell you that our youth will be in a lot more trouble than if they were playing sports. At least these kids are afforded the opportunity to be somewhere instead of getting into something that could ruin their lives. I know some of you guys don't give a flip unless it messes with your plans of going to games and criticizing every facet of the game, players, coaches, and refs. Maybe some of these coaches, players, refs, and AD's should come to your job and call out the performance of some of your guys' work. GOD BLESS!!!

By the way.......I do not know why the game was that important to either Central or the Vikings.....you do know that you guys will be playing each other again in about eight days right? All you guys were doing was deciding which team will wear light or dark colors when you play...nothing else. As soon as I hear about the brackets, I will post them unless someone beats me to it.

Charlie scheduled this game all for HIMSELF. They had a ceremony later in the evening where they honored him and his 2 state championship teams from VA. So, for all that talk about teamwork he does and constantly preaching its US and not ME, he needs to take a dose of his own medicine. As you said, DB had all the momentum coming into the Science Hill game and he takes his team 4 hours away the night after a conference game and lets them get their butt handed to them all so he can stand in the spotlight for a moment. Hmm...

Maybe so, still a top 10 team in Tennessee 3A should at least be able to compete with a team like Hidden Valley. Being on the road for 4 hrs. after playing the night before shouldn't be that big a deal. Oak Hill has been doing that regularly for years. The fact is Hidden Valley is a much better team team than anyone in the Big 9. Every out of conference game Morgan schedules should be against a team like that. No more Cherokee, Gate City, etc. I don't know if their trying to make the coach look good by playing a weak schedule or pad that all time wins number. Either way it is pretty embarassing for your team to be advertised as the winningest team in America and you travel somewhere like Salem Va. and get blown off the court. Hidden Valley was 40+ points better than DB.

1. Charlie Morgan

2. John Dyer

3. Tony Vaughn

4. Roby Whitcher

5. Ken Cutlip

6. Boone's coach,don't know his name.

7. Whittemore

8. Crockett's coach.

9. South

I think the best coach in the area is Coach English from Unicoi County.

You still have nothing. Go 100 mi. in any direction and your #1 becomes #9

Maybe so, still a top 10 team in Tennessee 3A should at least be able to compete with a team like Hidden Valley. Being on the road for 4 hrs. after playing the night before shouldn't be that big a deal. Oak Hill has been doing that regularly for years. The fact is Hidden Valley is a much better team team than anyone in the Big 9. Every out of conference game Morgan schedules should be against a team like that. No more Cherokee, Gate City, etc. I don't know if their trying to make the coach look good by playing a weak schedule or pad that all time wins number. Either way it is pretty embarassing for your team to be advertised as the winningest team in America and you travel somewhere like Salem Va. and get blown off the court. Hidden Valley was 40+ points better than DB.

Not only do they have a good basketball team, but they make good salad dressing as well.

Looks like things have pretty much taken shape.

8. South vs. 9. Crockett

1. D-B vs. winner of 8 & 9 game

2. Science Hill vs. 7. Daniel Boone

3. Sullivan East vs. 6. Volunteer

4. TN High vs. 5. Central

Volunteer can overtake Central, but will need to win at East and will need need Boone to defeat Central to set up a showdown on Feb. 7th.

This is how I think the bracket will look like. Stokomo I hope will update us once everything is in concrete. How does everyone see the awards playing out?

I agree with you. This was poor scheduling but that only contributed to the loss.

However, there just were not enough out of conference games scheduled this year. Tell me, why don't they schedule more games with the Knoxville area teams? It's the only way to "toughen up" when you're a team in the Weak9 Conference. Seems that the same problem exists in the Basketball program that exists in the Football program.

On the other hand, according to the times news the Salem team is ranked #3 in AA and has an outstanding record. And besides, who among us is foolish enough to believe that this year's Indians are really in the top 10? The AP is always wrong. Don't get me wrong. This year's team is very good but I will be surprised if they go more than 1 game beyond substate. Even Van Huss knew what he was up against with those big West Tennessee teams.

Poor scheduling??? OK...this is real confusing to me. Out of one side of your mouth some DB fans say you didn??™t like this game being scheduled and Coach Morgan ???scheduled this game all for HIMSELF???. And then out of the other side you say that the same problem exists in bball that exists in fball with the local competition not being strong enough to prepare the Indians for a State run, and that Coach Morgan should schedule more out of conference games. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

If you ask me this ???wakeup call??? couldn??™t have come at a better time. What better time to realize that you haven??™t ???made it to the mountain top??? then two games before Districts with an out of conference team in which the loss doesn??™t count against a perfect conference record. I bet the Patriots wish the wakeup call would have come for them before yesterday??™s game. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> I think this merely serves as a refocus point for the Tribe. And DBgrad Maryville didn't beleive the hype of those mythical "big west teams" last year, so why should DB be any different. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don??™t know why I??™m always defending DB coaches against DB fans, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Coach Morgan is ALL ABOUT DB BASKETBALL and the constant betterment thereof. It??™s a shame when you bring your team to this point in the season with 21 wins and only 3 losses and people sill have the audacity to question your motives for scheduling an out of conference game!??? That??™s wrong!!

There has been a lot said about the TN High/Central game and about the referees. I do not know what happened at that game, but if anyone thinks that we have the worst refs in this area, then by all means put your application in and get a striped shirt. These refs, whether you think good or bad of them, are out there instead of you. Hey! You will get in free to games and get paid to watch them and oversee the action. You may even get an all expense paid trip to one of the tournaments held during the holidays. Do refs make bad calls....yes. Do refs miss some calls...yes! BUT!!!!! They have chosen to be on the floor and YOU have chosen to be a spectator, so please do your part and spectate, not commentate. If you want that job of commentator, then please submit your applications to one of our fine radio stations, or better yet...spend the money and create your own radio station. No one comes to where you work and criticize the performance or lack there of what you do, with the execption of your boss. What if we had no referees to call games and the games got cut from our fine high school programs, then what? I will tell you that our youth will be in a lot more trouble than if they were playing sports. At least these kids are afforded the opportunity to be somewhere instead of getting into something that could ruin their lives. I know some of you guys don't give a flip unless it messes with your plans of going to games and criticizing every facet of the game, players, coaches, and refs. Maybe some of these coaches, players, refs, and AD's should come to your job and call out the performance of some of your guys' work. GOD BLESS!!!

By the way.......I do not know why the game was that important to either Central or the Vikings.....you do know that you guys will be playing each other again in about eight days right? All you guys were doing was deciding which team will wear light or dark colors when you play...nothing else. As soon as I hear about the brackets, I will post them unless someone beats me to it.

I have to say that I agree with alot of what you said here. I for one think that the officiating has been pretty good this year and want to commend the officials for taking the time to talk over calls in order to get them right. I have seen high school games in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, and Georgia just to name a few places and the officiating here is far from being the worst. With that said, I do wish that officials were more like they used to be, I think it would go a long way in how they are percieved by all. For example, why not talk to the players a little more. I can remember hearing "watch the hands", "cut out the bumping" etc. Then when you got called for something, it was usually briefly explained to you what you did and what you could do different not to get called. Players just want to know what they can and cannot do. Also, I would like to see the officials take control of the game from the very beginning. I completely agree that the players and coaches should decide the game, not the officials. However if you set the tone early, and get control early, then you're not having to restore order later in the game by calling T's and touch fouls that you haven't called all night. In defense of the refs, the game has changed alot and with todays pressure defense and fast pace style offense. You have an offensive guy pushing to get position on the block, you have a defensive guy pushing to keep his spot on the block. You have an defensive guy bumping and swatting at the ball, you have the offensive guy pushing to get some space to make a pass or to be able to put the ball on the floor. What do you call?

As far as people in the stands getting on the refs, come on, this has been going on forever. Officials have to have a tough skin and ignore it. Now I if someone is making personal or derogatory remarks, then they should be removed. But as far as telling a ref he missed that one, or to call it both ways, or the crowd booing a call, you have to not let it bother you. You can't start staring in the stands at people that are yelling. You can't start calling against a team or a certain player for it. Thats taking away the coaches and players abilty to decide the game on the floor. But again, in the defense of the officials, there have been instances of parents following refs out of the gym after the game and things getting out of hand. But thats not the players fault, don't take it out on them. And 99% of the officials don't.

As far as critisizing refs on here, is that really any worse than a coach critisizing them in the paper?