Big 9 Conference

Floor_General22

im gonna have to argue with the earlier statement made. though this has nothing to do with the actual game, i think volunteer has the best student section. we always bring a ton of students, home or away. DB has probably the most pitiful away game fan support i've ever seen. Volunteer's student section is, and will be, without most of its patrons after the cherokee game. Many of which are now banned from all the basketball games. Which is a shame.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its sad to see people getting kicked out of high school games, but students and parents should cheer for their team and not against the other team. There is no place for students and parents to belittle kids while they are on the floor, but it happens everywhere. But at the same time, I think school officials, police officers, and referee's get a little carried away sometimes. To take shakers and other items away is just being oversensitive. And as long as students are in their designated student section then they should not be made to sit down. A rowdy student section is part of what makes the environment of a high school basketball game great. As long as they're not shouting obscence remarks or throwing things on the floor, etc. they should be left alone.

Its sad to see people getting kicked out of high school games, but students and parents should cheer for their team and not against the other team. There is no place for students and parents to belittle kids while they are on the floor, but it happens everywhere. But at the same time, I think school officials, police officers, and referee's get a little carried away sometimes. To take shakers and other items away is just being oversensitive. And as long as students are in their designated student section then they should not be made to sit down. A rowdy student section is part of what makes the environment of a high school basketball game great. As long as they're not shouting obscence remarks or throwing things on the floor, etc. they should be left alone.

I agree totally. The Administrators at Tennessee High are really starting to get on my nerves the way he pester the kids throughout the games about petty things. They want the students to come out and support their team but they don??™t allow them to interact with the game. During the THS vs SHHS game they decided not to play the music at halftime, so the student sections created their own halftime entertainment that started with cheering on a little fan on the court and ended with a dual between the two Cheerleading squads taking turns trying to top each other doing flips. It was very entertaining to me and seemed like good ???clean school spirited??? fun until the Vikings Administrator stepped in to ruin the fun. I guess he thought the Cheerleaders would get mad and put down there pompoms and break out the brass knuckles. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Every time I looked up he was pulling one of the students out of the student section to talk to them. I wish he would just give them a break for a change.

As far as the game goes anything could happen at this point because the Vikings obviously haven??™t found their grove yet on offense or D. The second half of the Topper game was some of the best basketball this team has played all year. So if we can build on that we will be alright in the Central game. But if we have to start all over each game (like we have up till now) we could find ourselves in a dogfight once again. But unlike in the last two games I feel that we have the upper hand in this one and should come out on top when the smoke clears. The key will be to try to keep the score to where it is out of the officials hands. History has dictated that we normally don't come out on the winning side of the calls at Central with the two gray headed referees that ALWAYS call the THS Central games. If you are a Viking fan that has been around for the few years Central has been back in the Big 9 you know which two I'm talking about. Not crying...just stating the facts. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Watch and see.

im gonna have to argue with the earlier statement made. though this has nothing to do with the actual game, i think volunteer has the best student section. we always bring a ton of students, home or away. DB has probably the most pitiful away game fan support i've ever seen. Volunteer's student section is, and will be, without most of its patrons after the cherokee game. Many of which are now banned from all the basketball games. Which is a shame.

Just wondering......How does Volunteer have the best student section, yet most of them are now banned from the basketball games. Did I read that right. Anyway we probably don't have it so bad around here. A game had to be posponed at Hunters Lane last week because of "gangs"

Something else you'all might want to read (if you haven't allready). Its football related but that don't matter. Go to the Football 4A-5A board and click on the thread "Please ?", then go to post #8 and click on the link. You won't believe the story. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

i total agree with you floorgeneral and you too cap we played central a couple of weeks ago and a woman in that school " not going to say who or how " but........ she was sitted in their student section and was cheering right along with them and then stated getting on her little radio telling a policewoman to tell the other kids they need to be sitting....... while her and her fans was still standing and cheering but....... it didnt work out HER WAY some grown ups was upset over this so..... went to the student section and cheer and stood in turn the kids for the vistors team stood to this really get to this miss thing i will stop rambling but watch out for this cap she will prob try to do this to your kids lol just dont let her long as kids dont get on the floor or yell bad things i think its ok just alittle insdie info /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

We haven't played Volunteer yet, but I can't see you having the best student section when you have none there. Haven't heard what happened in the Cherokee game but it sounds like too much. I also agree with some other posters, as long as the kids are not saying bad things or throwing anything, the administrators should LEAVE THEM ALONE.I think most fans enjoy the students yelling back and forth at each other during timeouts and the cheerleaders also. As long as everything is clean. As for standing the whole game, as long as it's not blocking anyone elses view, I don't see a problem with it. Sometimes fans will have to move to another seat if the student section is in the way. If the students can't yell for thier school and stand if they want to, they will just quit coming to games thus the schools will lose money. Think about it administrators.

Don't have a dog in the hunt but noise makers are against NFHS rules. "Shakers, air horns, megaphones, or any other unnatural noise makers are prohibited" Again I don't like it as a coach but those are the rules and we all have to eat them.

Been two years since I moved from the Tri-Cities and I remeber the Central fans being pretty rowdy- in a good way most of the time.

As far as the game goes anything could happen at this point because the Vikings obviously haven??™t found their grove yet on offense or D. The second half of the Topper game was some of the best basketball this team has played all year. So if we can build on that we will be alright in the Central game. But if we have to start all over each game (like we have up till now) we could find ourselves in a dogfight once again. But unlike in the last two games I feel that we have the upper hand in this one and should come out on top when the smoke clears. The key will be to try to keep the score to where it is out of the officials hands. History has dictated that we normally don't come out on the winning side of the calls at Central with the two gray headed referees that ALWAYS call the THS Central games. If you are a Viking fan that has been around for the few years Central has been back in the Big 9 you know which two I'm talking about. Not crying...just stating the facts. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Watch and see.

I think you will be hard pressed to find any coach in the Big 9 that believe they get more calls than TH when they play them. I remember only one ref last year that called both Central and TH's games, the "ARBY's proposer". You know who I am talking about. When he is on the floor he takes "CONTROL" of the game. As long as the Arby's is at Tenn. High, all the other school's will be at a disadvantage. Because the officials don't want to get banned from calling in the biggest tournament in this area. I think you may be making excuses before the game is even played. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />