which digital camera

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been looking at some cameras. Here is a link to two that I've seen. Which would be the best for sports action photos. Or what would be something around this price range that would be good?

Olympus

Canon

Nikon

Are you referring to Collinwood speed? I've got an old Polaroid that prints instant photos that would work for you...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry, I couldn't resist.......Good luck shopping... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Are you referring to Collinwood speed? I've got an old Polaroid that prints instant photos that would work for you...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry, I couldn't resist.......Good luck shopping... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

And to think, I thought you was a pretty good feller. I don't know what to think of you now!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

And to think, I thought you was a pretty good feller. I don't know what to think of you now!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

You know I was just funnin with ya.... Most of Mt. Pleasant doesn't like me, so that should be worth something...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

All decent cameras, but I would lean towards the Canon for sports photography. When you purchase these cameras, alot of your success will have to do with the lenses you have. Be prepared to spend as much and for a real good sports lens much more than you pay for the camera itself! As most photographers will tell you the accessories can get very expensive, so look into those as much as you do the camera itself! If you can afford to sink some dough into it, then just look at the sidelines of College and Pro games, a majority of those cameras and the equiptment are Canon.

My opinion 1. Canon - 2. Nikon - Goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...

All decent cameras, but I would lean towards the Canon for sports photography. When you purchase these cameras, alot of your success will have to do with the lenses you have. Be prepared to spend as much and for a real good sports lens much more than you pay for the camera itself! As most photographers will tell you the accessories can get very expensive, so look into those as much as you do the camera itself! If you can afford to sink some dough into it, then just look at the sidelines of College and Pro games, a majority of those cameras and the equiptment are Canon.

My opinion 1. Canon - 2. Nikon - Goodluck.

Swildcat1967, going to have to disagree on your opinion. Having purchased Canon equipment first - 20D & Rebel XT with Canon lenses/accessories - I switched to the Nikon D200. I've had much better exposure in both manual and shutter/aperture auto settings. Both cameras make an excellent picture/print, but Nikon has done it better for me! Waiting to get the new S3!

Swildcat1967, going to have to disagree on your opinion. Having purchased Canon equipment first - 20D & Rebel XT with Canon lenses/accessories - I switched to the Nikon D200. I've had much better exposure in both manual and shutter/aperture auto settings. Both cameras make an excellent picture/print, but Nikon has done it better for me! Waiting to get the new S3!

Thats fine with me Bearclaw, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I knew everyone wouldn't agree with me. In fact at one time all I could think about was getting a Nikon D200, but a great deal on some good Canon glass made me look into it alot more before I finally made my decision. I could've sold the lenses I purchased, and still went Nikon, but I'm glad I didn't and am perfectly happy with my Canon 30D Just like you though, I can't wait to upgrade to a even better camera the 1D Mark III!. I have friends who shoot right next to me who use Nikon, to each his own. One thing that I like is that the Canons have less noise in higher ISO settings, and that comes in handy for low light sports photography, without a flash. I know their are ever improving photo programs that reduce noise, but out of the camera Canon beats Nikon. I'm not one of those guys thats Canon or die, Nikons have their advantages in other types of photography. As I said before, someday (soon I hope, lol) I hope to upgrade to one of the upper tier Professional Canon Cameras. While I have developed a keen interest in other types of Photography in the last couple of years, Sports Photography wil always be my passion, so I might as well build up my Lens arsonal. So like I said, just look to the sidelines of pro and College sports, It's not just a coincidence that most of them are Canons. I'm not as familar with the lower end consumer DSLR's like the Canon Rebel, Xti or the Nikon D80, D100 among others. Their is alot more to it than just the Camera itself, If you are going to do Lowlight action sports photography, you will preferably need a lens with a f2.8 aperture or lower, but they don't come cheap. I would say don't jump into anything without puting alot of thought and researth into it. Goodluck to you no matter which way you go TrojanSportsFan!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats fine with me Bearclaw, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I knew everyone wouldn't agree with me. In fact at one time all I could think about was getting a Nikon D200, but a great deal on some good Canon glass made me look into it alot more before I finally made my decision. I could've sold the lenses I purchased, and still went Nikon, but I'm glad I didn't and am perfectly happy with my Canon 30D Just like you though, I can't wait to upgrade to a even better camera the 1D Mark III!. I have friends who shoot right next to me who use Nikon, to each his own. One thing that I like is that the Canons have less noise in higher ISO settings, and that comes in handy for low light sports photography, without a flash. I know their are ever improving photo programs that reduce noise, but out of the camera Canon beats Nikon. I'm not one of those guys thats Canon or die, Nikons have their advantages in other types of photography. As I said before, someday (soon I hope, lol) I hope to upgrade to one of the upper tier Professional Canon Cameras. While I have developed a keen interest in other types of Photography in the last couple of years, Sports Photography wil always be my passion, so I might as well build up my Lens arsonal. So like I said, just look to the sidelines of pro and College sports, It's not just a coincidence that most of them are Canons. I'm not as familar with the lower end consumer DSLR's like the Canon Rebel, Xti or the Nikon D80, D100 among others. Their is alot more to it than just the Camera itself, If you are going to do Lowlight action sports photography, you will preferably need a lens with a f2.8 aperture or lower, but they don't come cheap. I would say don't jump into anything without puting alot of thought and researth into it. Goodluck to you no matter which way you go TrojanSportsFan!

Swildcat1967 - Some good points, and Canon does have less noise for low light - in most situations. I guess personal preference will always win out. I've had both Canon and Nikon - I shoot weddings,events, and sports. The Nikon has given me more of what I want PERSONALLY than my Canon's did. However, I see photographers get the same shots I do with their Canon's. Hands down, both are great cameras. Good advice to TrojanSportsFan. Hope he/she listens. Happy shooting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been looking at some cameras. Here is a link to two that I've seen. Which would be the best for sports action photos. Or what would be something around this price range that would be good?

I personally used the Mark II N, which is much more than want you want to spend (I just dig the 1/8000th a second shutter speed though for catching sequences of action and the battery life is amazing!!!), but I am a Canon snob; or more accurately I had Canon EF glass and did not want to sell them and change bodies. The XTi Would work (as it has the high end shutter speed) but I would suggest getting some really good glass. I have the 70-200 L 2.8 and the 100-400 F4-5.6 as my primary lenses to shoot sports to get the closest to the action as I often shoot outside the fence unfortunately since most of my work is done free for the teams/parents. Also helpful to have the "fast" lenses (2.8 or lower) to be able to shoot inside.

Best of luck! Hope to see another shooter at the games! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />