Does anyone remember the old Kenton Warriors teams or any of the playe

yankees8589

I'm sure if you went to The Messenger in Union City you could see the newspaper articles from back then...If you could find David Bartholamew(sp??) or Tim Morris they were sports editors back then or you could try and talk to Mike Hutchens...Mike is the current sports editor and he has been their for many years now....

I remember back when they played a tournament with UC,OC,South Fulton and Kenton every year....

Thanks for the info. I will have to get in contact with these folks. This will help me a great deal in ther project i'm working on. I remeber two players that were from UC around the same time, very good players . One of them got all the ink but the guy playing second fiddle was just as good. One of my fondest memories was when I played in junior high, Kenton vs Union City a double overtime thriller at UC. We beat them that night but they beat us later on that seeason at our place. We were 16 and 3 that year and won the county chamionship.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Kenton and know plenty of people in my family that played and went there up until the school closed and yes Jeff Chandler played there and still lives there. If you have any questions im sure that i could get the answers from somewhere.

I'm looking for team records and player stats form about 1978 thru 1985 or whatever year the school closed. Billy Bardwell, Timmy White ( a Mr Basketball), Anthony Cannon, All the Banks kids, John L Harris, Rod Russom, Dallas KIng, Ken Covington, Neal White, Rod Russom, Tony Perryman, another player but his full name escapes me Rudy something. Does any of thse names ring a bell and can you get stats from that era?

I'm looking for team records and player stats form about 1978 thru 1985 or whatever year the school closed. Billy Bardwell, Timmy White ( a Mr Basketball), Anthony Cannon, All the Banks kids, John L Harris, Rod Russom, Dallas KIng, Ken Covington, Neal White, Rod Russom, Tony Perryman, another player but his full name escapes me Rudy something. Does any of thse names ring a bell and can you get stats from that era?

Get in touch with Marty...He might have that stuff...Those official scorebooks would be like the Holy Grail for you...

I went to DSCC with Ken Covington too....He and Tommy Sisco...They both played Baseball at DSCC...I used to run into Ken every now and then...Haven't seen him in awhile...

Hmmm....StevieRay, you were getting around /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> Friends with ole 73 too....you could be questionable /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Just kiddin with ya!!!

Sorry yankees8589...been away from the computer...I played for Hampton(1983)...AC was the real deal...we had to go to a box & 1 on him to slow him down...like I said, he still got 28 I think.

Home of the White

squirrel. Class of 81 U.C. here ..Timmy White was a very good player, hope his son has his genes. Loved the old uniforms, looked exactly like Marquette.They were allowed to wear their shirt tails out and it said warriors on the bottom, soooo coool for the times.Eric King , that may not be his last name, he went to U.C. after the school shut down. He was an all stater his soph. yr. Had to sit out his jr. yr.One of the biggest mistakes ronnie carter made.Wasnt fair. He ended up at UTM.

The Kenton Uniforms were copied after THE OLD MARQUETTE WARRIOR uniforms...Remember when Marquette won the NATIONAL TITLE IN 1977...( Man, I am GETTING OLD)....That is why I remember the Banks kid...Had the uniform on that looked like Marquette....and the big afro looked like a mini Artis Gilmore...Used to go stay with my grandparents when they bought a farm in Kenton...Out around Concord Baptist Church....Man, that was a LONG TIME AGO....

Ricky Scates...That is it...Remember him being on an Jackson Sun Super team way back in 1978.....Dyersburg had Darryl Maze ( One of the best pure shooters I have EVER seen)....Ronald Johnson( WHO SHOULD HAVE PLAYED FOOTBALL)...Fayette Ware had Carlos Clark and Mitchell Chears, Kenneth Reaves from Bolivar ....Ricky Scates made the team and Everett Musgraves from Haywood County was player of the year... And I was like Trezvant?...I thought that was in Memphis..Then someone said it was a small school in somwhere in Gibson County...They said the Scates kid could almost touch the top of the backboard...And wasn't he partially deaf?...

Hello StevieRayVol sorry just now replying to you have been away from my computer. Trezevant was a small school but, it was located in Carroll County, Trezevant, Tennessee. Ricky could almost touch the top of the back board. Back during those days ankle weights were the big thing. I have seen Ricky put (2) 2 and 1/2 pounds weights or 5lbs on each leg run 5 miles to his cousins house in the morning spend the day and run back home that evening. Yes he did have a hearing impairment did not know his on strength, but one of the greatest guys you could be around.

Home of the White

squirrel. Class of 81 U.C. here ..Timmy White was a very good player, hope his son has his genes. Loved the old uniforms, looked exactly like Marquette.They were allowed to wear their shirt tails out and it said warriors on the bottom, soooo coool for the times.Eric King , that may not be his last name, he went to U.C. after the school shut down. He was an all stater his soph. yr. Had to sit out his jr. yr.One of the biggest mistakes ronnie carter made.Wasnt fair. He ended up at UTM.

The Eric you are talking about is Eric Brooks.....His son K.J is a soph on the UC team this season....

If I'm not mistaken, Marti Sisco played for Kenton in late 50's and early 60's-then went on to coach there for many years and was one of the most successful coaches in the state while there.

I remember playing in that ooold cracker box gym back when we had the county tournament there. The other county teams quit letting UC play in the tournament cause we were so dominant every year. In 1962, OCCHS was built and all of the small schools consolidated except Kenton. Don't remember when Marti took over as coach.