Does anyone remember the old Kenton Warriors teams or any of the playe

yankees8589

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the starting 5 was Lenny Banks (center) Neal White (PF) John L. Harris (SF) Anthony Cannon (2 guard) and Rod Russom (point guard). My memory is not that great, did you have to play 3 games to get to the finals back then and if so I wonder who Kenton beat in the first round. To be honest I thought they only played one game in state> If that's the case congrats on the win. Did you guys win the state that year?

If I remember correctly...Kenton beat Upperman 60-53 in the first round of the 1983 State Tournament...then lost to Hampton 68-61...and Hampton lost to East Robertson 73-67...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

From the State tournament team that lost to Bolivar in the early 70s.

Junebug Edmonds

Charlie Fred Dickey

Duke Mays

Ellis Manchester

Preston White

That team would have won it all if there had been classification back then.

Other players after that.

Bobby White

Rudy Simpson

Billy Bardwell

Lenny Banks

Denny Banks

Timmy "Mookie" White -- I believe the only player from Kenton to dunk in a game.

Leon Harris

Dallas King

Stephen Reed

Tommy Sisco

Ken Covington

Tony Perryman

Anthony "Ace" Cannon - I always thought Bardwell was the best shooter, maybe Ace was a little better

Ronnie Banks - best rebounder ever, and I mean EVER -- nobody wanted any part of those elbows

Eric Brooks

Though the population was less than 1500, Kenton always seemed to produce teams that consistently beat Union City, Dyer County, Dyersburg, Westview, Obion Central, etc. -- and the gym was always packed.

Produced some good girl players as well.

Darlene Woods

Tina Smithson

Nena Johns

Michelle Skinner

Tammy ???

Darlene dates to back to the 3-on-3 days.

Unfortunately for the girls, Bradford was usually a roadblock to the state tourney, although Kenton did have a 3 year run at the state led by Skinner, Beth Smithson, and the Tammy (whose last name escapes me -- Burress?)

Good times.

Ricky Scates...That is it...Remember him being on an Jackson Sun Super team way back in 1978.....Dyersburg had Darryl Maze ( One of the best pure shooters I have EVER seen)....Ronald Johnson( WHO SHOULD HAVE PLAYED FOOTBALL)...Fayette Ware had Carlos Clark and Mitchell Chears, Kenneth Reaves from Bolivar ....Ricky Scates made the team and Everett Musgraves from Haywood County was player of the year... And I was like Trezvant?...I thought that was in Memphis..Then someone said it was a small school in somwhere in Gibson County...They said the Scates kid could almost touch the top of the backboard...And wasn't he partially deaf?...

Darrly N Ron were the best 1-2 punch ive ever seen. Ron could jump out of the gym.Darrly was Pure as Gold shooting the ball..yes the Kenton Warriors had numerous great players over the years..umm telling my age here !! lol!!

From the State tournament team that lost to Bolivar in the early 70s.

Junebug Edmonds

Charlie Fred Dickey

Duke Mays

Ellis Manchester

Preston White

That team would have won it all if there had been classification back then.

Other players after that.

Bobby White

Rudy Simpson

Billy Bardwell

Lenny Banks

Denny Banks

Timmy "Mookie" White -- I believe the only player from Kenton to dunk in a game.

Leon Harris

Dallas King

Stephen Reed

Tommy Sisco

Ken Covington

Tony Perryman

Anthony "Ace" Cannon - I always thought Bardwell was the best shooter, maybe Ace was a little better

Ronnie Banks - best rebounder ever, and I mean EVER -- nobody wanted any part of those elbows

Eric Brooks

Though the population was less than 1500, Kenton always seemed to produce teams that consistently beat Union City, Dyer County, Dyersburg, Westview, Obion Central, etc. -- and the gym was always packed.

Produced some good girl players as well.

Darlene Woods

Tina Smithson

Nena Johns

Michelle Skinner

Tammy ???

Darlene dates to back to the 3-on-3 days.

Unfortunately for the girls, Bradford was usually a roadblock to the state tourney, although Kenton did have a 3 year run at the state led by Skinner, Beth Smithson, and the Tammy (whose last name escapes me -- Burress?)

Good times.

Good times indeed. Anthony Cannon was the best player to ever come out of Kenton in my opinion. Anthony Cannon was on the highschool varsity team in the eight grade and great shooter (beyond todays 3) even then, he could dunk as well but nobody dunked back in the day....LOL Rudy Simpson and Billy Bardwell were great players to. Pretty sure Mookie White was a Mr Basketball. I played and went to school with alot of those guys. I was at that game Mookie dunked in...pretty sure that was the year he won Mr Basketball...I think he won it anyway...it was so long ago.

A few more.....Ken Covington, Ronnie Banks, John L harris (Leon's Brother), and Rod Russom.

Michelle Skinner and Darlene Woods were probably the best two girsl players to ever play for Kenton.

BTW, Carl Bell (lead guitar player and leader of the band) from the world renouned rock band FUEL played for the Kenton Warriors as well.

Thanks for your post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 9 years later...