Denied use of HS Field

LaxDad

Our local high school principal withdrew the use of the HS Football field for HS lacrosse games several years ago and has refused to even consider allowing it since. I'm not exactly sure why but I think the HS football coach feels that if Lacrosse can use the field, then the HS Rugby team will also be able to use the field and that the field will end up as a mess, mainly from Rugby. I believe the HS football coach has convinced the principal of this and he has taken the postion that no club sports will be allowed on the HS field. That leaves us scrambling for fields and competing with local soccer clubs for municipal field use.

Has anybody had a similar problem getting HS fields? What have you done to get fields? Are they freely available? I'd like to know if this is a problem everywhere or just in Knoxville.

If lacrosse became a TSSAA sport it probably would not be a problem. Any ideas on when or if that may happen?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local high school principal withdrew the use of the HS Football field for HS lacrosse games several years ago and has refused to even consider allowing it since. I'm not exactly sure why but I think the HS football coach feels that if Lacrosse can use the field, then the HS Rugby team will also be able to use the field and that the field will end up as a mess, mainly from Rugby. I believe the HS football coach has convinced the principal of this and he has taken the postion that no club sports will be allowed on the HS field. That leaves us scrambling for fields and competing with local soccer clubs for municipal field use.

Has anybody had a similar problem getting HS fields? What have you done to get fields? Are they freely available? I'd like to know if this is a problem everywhere or just in Knoxville.

If lacrosse became a TSSAA sport it probably would not be a problem. Any ideas on when or if that may happen?

Unfortunately that is an issue that has plagued both public and private shools in Tennessee. MBA used to bus kids all over town for lacrosse practice before they were able to aquire filed space in Sylvan Park. Father Ryan practiced at Palmer Park and the Media Library Field for many years. Until you can get enough parents to create some noise the problem will likely persist. If you can get some football players out for lacrosse and get their parents involved it might help as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Board of the TSLA is happy with the current situation and has little interest in joining the TSSAA ( I don't think the TSSAA is anxious to add lacrosse either). I agree with them, I think the sport can be grown better by those withe a genuine interest than by an institution that has ruined high school football in this state.

Unfortunately that is an issue that has plagued both public and private shools in Tennessee. MBA used to bus kids all over town for lacrosse practice before they were able to aquire filed space in Sylvan Park. Father Ryan practiced at Palmer Park and the Media Library Field for many years. Until you can get enough parents to create some noise the problem will likely persist. If you can get some football players out for lacrosse and get their parents involved it might help as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the Board of the TSLA is happy with the current situation and has little interest in joining the TSSAA ( I don't think the TSSAA is anxious to add lacrosse either). I agree with them, I think the sport can be grown better by those withe a genuine interest than by an institution that has ruined high school football in this state.

Actually...the only people that are against TSLA going TSSAA are members from private schools. if you ask any public school player or coach, I bet every single one of them would be more than happy to be sanctioned. MBA gave buses for their students to ride to practice??? Thats a tough wrap!!! Most of the public schools don't even have 1 BUS that a team can use for away games, and MBA gets them for practices!!! Its almost comical that that is a hardship for MBA.

There is a geniune interest in TSSAA on both ends and I bet that within 3 years we will be sanctioned and it will be the best thing that has ever happened for Tennessee lacrosse. Kids who can't afford to play will be able to play, schools that can't afford a team can have a team, and MBA, MUS, CBHS, Mccallie and schools like that will have a tough time during dealing with all the public teams and athletes that come out of the wood work when this happens.

Actually...the only people that are against TSLA going TSSAA are members from private schools. if you ask any public school player or coach, I bet every single one of them would be more than happy to be sanctioned. MBA gave buses for their students to ride to practice??? Thats a tough wrap!!! Most of the public schools don't even have 1 BUS that a team can use for away games, and MBA gets them for practices!!! Its almost comical that that is a hardship for MBA.

There is a geniune interest in TSSAA on both ends and I bet that within 3 years we will be sanctioned and it will be the best thing that has ever happened for Tennessee lacrosse. Kids who can't afford to play will be able to play, schools that can't afford a team can have a team, and MBA, MUS, CBHS, Mccallie and schools like that will have a tough time during dealing with all the public teams and athletes that come out of the wood work when this happens.

ive heard that the TSSAA is looking to sanction in the next 3-5 years, there are also many public school players that are happy with the current situation and the TSLA. im a public school player and i personnaly cannot stand the TSSAA

Well, I'm a public school player and I know a public school coach who would be very unhappy if TSLA went TSSAA. If lacrosse in Tennessee happened to go TSSAA in the next few years then that would mean that everyone involved in the sport now would no longer be involved. Teams would be forced to find new coaches or coaches would have to become teachers in order to stay with their teams. I'm not a big fan of the TSSAA and how they run things, so I think it's best if we left them out of our sport. The only thing we can benefit from becoming TSSAA sanctioned is getting school fields to play on, along with actual school funding.

Private schools are certainly not the only people opposed to joining the TSSAA. I don't see how joining a broken beauracracy that can barely handle the job it has now could possibly help any sport that is trying to mature. How are the kids that can't afford to play now going to be able to play if the TSSAA becomes involved? Where is the money going to come from for schools that don't have teams now to field teams? The TSSAA doesn't have any extra money laying around. They will be glad to receive a portion of the gates from the games though. Adding a massive amount of red tape will not help anything. I can certainly assure you that MBA, McCallie, MUS, and CBHS are not worried about any new competition. If they were scared of losing, they wouldn't be frequently traveling to play some of the best teams in the region/country, and they haven't had any trouble beating public schools any other sports.

Private schools are certainly not the only people opposed to joining the TSSAA. I don't see how joining a broken bureaucracy that can barely handle the job it has now could possibly help any sport that is trying to mature. How are the kids that can't afford to play now going to be able to play if the TSSAA becomes involved? Where is the money going to come from for schools that don't have teams now to field teams? The TSSAA doesn't have any extra money laying around. They will be glad to receive a portion of the gates from the games though. Adding a massive amount of red tape will not help anything. I can certainly assure you that MBA, McCallie, MUS, and CBHS are not worried about any new competition. If they were scared of losing, they wouldn't be frequently traveling to play some of the best teams in the region/country, and they haven't had any trouble beating public schools any other sports.

1. Coaches do not have to be affiliated with the school to coach...Look at Soccer and Baseball.

2. Some schools would not have the money, but would be inclined to do fundraisers and also could encourage booster clubs to help out. Kids would not have to buy their own equipment, nor would they have large dues every season.

3. Broken Bureaucracy??? Look at all sports! Look at the before and after of the BCS polls, bottom line is this are always people that are not going to like the system, no matter what it is. With TSSAA involved in Tennessee Lacrosse it will not only help grow the program by helping with Scholarships, recruiting, and simple recognition. It will also give the game of lacrosse in general an opportunity to grow in popularity. Kids can watch games in a big football stadium, or maybe get the chance to sell merchandise and and concessions to help fund the program. TSSAA may take proceeds from the gates. That would mean Schools take proceeds as well...correct? Another way for a school to raise money for the program, which they don't have now.

4. Those schools travel because there isn't enough competition in the State...your right. Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't have to travel for more teams and more competition??? Giving kids and schools the opportunity to field teams would bring the competition level up throughout the state. Besides all the out of state games are basically exhibitions, that have no impact on placement or ranking in the State Tournament.

1. Coaches do not have to be affiliated with the school to coach...Look at Soccer and Baseball.

2. Some schools would not have the money, but would be inclined to do fundraisers and also could encourage booster clubs to help out. Kids would not have to buy their own equipment, nor would they have large dues every season.

3. Broken Bureaucracy??? Look at all sports! Look at the before and after of the BCS polls, bottom line is this are always people that are not going to like the system, no matter what it is. With TSSAA involved in Tennessee Lacrosse it will not only help grow the program by helping with Scholarships, recruiting, and simple recognition. It will also give the game of lacrosse in general an opportunity to grow in popularity. Kids can watch games in a big football stadium, or maybe get the chance to sell merchandise and and concessions to help fund the program. TSSAA may take proceeds from the gates. That would mean Schools take proceeds as well...correct? Another way for a school to raise money for the program, which they don't have now.

4. Those schools travel because there isn't enough competition in the State...your right. Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't have to travel for more teams and more competition??? Giving kids and schools the opportunity to field teams would bring the competition level up throughout the state. Besides all the out of state games are basically exhibitions, that have no impact on placement or ranking in the State Tournament.

1. I'm not well versed enough on this point to accurately debate it. I think head coaches have to be employees of the school they work for, but not necessarily teachers. Maybe not though.

2. Kids can have fundraisers now. Teams could also currently charge gates if they wanted to. Selling concessions/merchandise/programs is also an option under the current organization. If kids are currently buying they're own equipment, they'll probably continue to buy their own equipment. Do not plan on getting any financial support from the TSSAA or the schools. The money isn't there.

3. How does the TSSAA help with scholarhips (which is does not allow), recruiting (which it does not allow), or recognition? The TSLA does a great job recognizing teams and individuals. How does the TSSAA give the game of lacrosse in general an opportunity to grow in popularity? That is a broad statement, and I can't see specifically how lacrosse is any better in the TSSAA than it is in the TSLA.

4. These schools are going to continue to have to travel to find competitive games. Even if there was an influx in teams, which I do not think there would be, it would probably look a lot like DII now, which certainly isn't helping out with the competition level in TN. If increased competition is what you seek, DII teams need to start moving up to DI. As for the out of state games, they don't count towards state rankings, but they are certainly real games, and they count on your record just like an in state game.

1. I'm not well versed enough on this point to accurately debate it. I think head coaches have to be employees of the school they work for, but not necessarily teachers. Maybe not though.

2. Kids can have fundraisers now. Teams could also currently charge gates if they wanted to. Selling concessions/merchandise/programs is also an option under the current organization. If kids are currently buying they're own equipment, they'll probably continue to buy their own equipment. Do not plan on getting any financial support from the TSSAA or the schools. The money isn't there.

3. How does the TSSAA help with scholarhips (which is does not allow), recruiting (which it does not allow), or recognition? The TSLA does a great job recognizing teams and individuals. How does the TSSAA give the game of lacrosse in general an opportunity to grow in popularity? That is a broad statement, and I can't see specifically how lacrosse is any better in the TSSAA than it is in the TSLA.

4. These schools are going to continue to have to travel to find competitive games. Even if there was an influx in teams, which I do not think there would be, it would probably look a lot like DII now, which certainly isn't helping out with the competition level in TN. If increased competition is what you seek, DII teams need to start moving up to DI. As for the out of state games, they don't count towards state rankings, but they are certainly real games, and they count on your record just like an in state game.

Kids are buying their own equipment becasue they have too. I am sure if a school were to offer equipment they would take it and have the option to have thier own equipment. The TSSAA does support the program financially. It will sponsor tournaments, offer trophies, etc...You can check that information at http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

When I was referring to Scholarships and recruiting, I was talking about college, not high school programs. TSSAA could help with contacting colleges for high school students. The growth in popularity would grow in Tennessee if there were more teams which would be made possible if it was supported by the state.

As for Travel, after reading over the TSSAA handbook. I noticed that they only allow one road game out of state. I am not a fan of that. I am sure tht rule could be up for discussion though.

I agree that DII teams should move up, but I think the competition in DII is fine within that division. If a team is winning every year, then they should move up to keep the competition level constant.

I am sure we could go round and round for the whole season about this issue, lets agree to disagree and see what happens.

If it isn't broke leave it alone ! the system works just fine as it is. and if did your research you would know that last year if im not mistaken that there was more scholarships in lacrosse than football and basketball, you dont need the tssaa to get those /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If it isn't broke leave it alone ! the system works just fine as it is. and if did your research you would know that last year if im not mistaken that there was more scholarships in lacrosse than football and basketball, you dont need the tssaa to get those /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Faith - you are the bomb. For every 8 high school lax players 1 plays in college (D1, 2, 3). It is the best sport right now if youw ant to play in college. More and more D2 and D3 schools are picking it up in the South.