Denied use of HS Field

LaxDad

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of us know what they offer/promise, its just going through with those offers thats the problem.

I would ask everyone a question:

Without the TSSAA, which current sport would be better off?

Football??? Players buying all their own equipment, no fields to play on, no school support, coaches doing it for free.

Basketball??? No regular gym hours, having to allow community access first before a practice or game in the gym, paying for your own travel, unexcused absences from school for away games.

Baseball??? Teams would have to build their own field because dual use is out of the question plus all the above issues.

Soccer??? Club sport when I was in school - sanctioning hasn't hurt them one bit. As a matter of fact, its more popular now than ever.

Golf - How has TSSAA held them back?

If ANY of you want the sport to expand and grow, get the media coverage that it deserves and raise awareness in this state, the answer is TSSAA involvement. Are they perfect??? Heck no. However, as an organization, they do more for high school sports in one day than most folks do in a lifetime. Do they conspire to reduce competition and make rules just to hack everyone off??? Please! Once in a while, someone's ox get gored. A fact of life.

Before anyone starts:

I do not work for TSSAA.

I do not have any affiliation with TSSAA.

I think some things they do are sheer lunacy.

Just want more kids to have access to a great game.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the HS you are talking about Farragut? Sounds pretty much exactly like their situation.... of course.. they have/had a field behind the middle school, but I guess they mostly use that for practice... When I saw some Farragut games at the football stadium they were great.. much better than standing or sitting at ground level... At the football stadium you can see the field better and I think it could be easier for people see what is actually happening in the game... Plus the only "damage" that was done to the field that was of any significance was the paint... I doubt the paint would get in the way of the football team, because well they dont use it in the spring.. soccer basically uses the same end and side lines.... oh well...

Yes it is Farragut. The practice field behind the middle school has no parking, no facilities and our coaches say it is too rough to play a game on.

The TSSAA/Club discussion swallowed this thread. I had no idea people had such strong feelings about that. Anyway, we have been told that only TSSAA sports may use the stadium field although there seems to be an exception for youth football.

The problem I have is that this is a publicly owned facility yet certain groups are able to exclude other groups, essentially exercising ownership over it. I know lacrosse play on the field would not damage it as it is relatively easy to find stuff on the internet that says a field should be able to withstand up to 200 hours of play annually without damage while the stadium field ends up with far less....roughly 4 home football, men's soccer, women's soccer and track contests.

Thanks to all those who responded.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to consider is that if the TSSAA adopts lacrosse as a varsity sport, they may use the same system that Georgia employs. The GHSAA sanctions lacrosse as a varsity sport, but it's up to the individual counties to decide if they want to fund it. If this is the case there would probably be a slight increase in teams in the larger cities, but not much growth, if any, in the rural counties. After all, the TSSAA sanctions swimming and wrestling, but not every school has those sports. I know that most all of the coaches down in Georgia are not teachers, so I don't think things will change at the grass roots level in Tennessee if the TSSAA sanctions lacrosse. One significant change will be in the game officials. They will all have to join the various Referee Associations around the state. This means they will most likely be paid by the TSSAA instead of coming from individual teams. This would increase the amount of referees available to the schools. I also coach football at a local high school so I see both sides of the field use issue. In a perfect world we would all share and share alike, but there is such competition for field space, and the amount of money the football team spends each year on the field and stadium maintenance, I can see where they are very protective of it's use. This would change if the TSSAA sanctioned lacrosse.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually...the only people that are against TSLA going TSSAA are members from private schools.... and MBA, MUS, CBHS, Mccallie and schools like that will have a tough time during dealing with all the public teams and athletes that come out of the wood work when this happens.

Would that be like the trouble that we had with the public schools in football, the sort of trouble that led us to be being banished to DII?