Clarksville's fine

tnmat

I completely understand the idea of moving around. However, I think Clarksville does an excellent job of running the tournament.

As far as the best place to hold it, that's tough to say. There are very few "ideal" gyms. Clarksville's is about as good as any though. If you recall some of the past State Dual events, few were perfect. Bradley Central's gym is enormous and is PERFECT for the finals, but during rounds when bottom bleachers were pulled back, fans struggled and had to lean over railings to see matches that seemed almost right underneath them. And while I liked it being at Overton, that was not the best place. It was a good atmosphere with a good view, but it's capacity is so small that fans were packed in like sardines.

And while I scoffed at the idea of having it at Ryan, I'll have to admit that their gym was the best place to have it. Their bleachers go all the way to the floor, the gym is large enough to hold a massive audience with little cramming, and the bleachers could be adjusted to be placed right "on top" of the mats for finals matches.

Of course here's an idea. What about moving down the road to Kenwood? Their facilities are excellent. However, (no offense to Kenwood) you have to wonder how well they would run the tournament. I can remember a few early-Sunday-morning finals matches in the past.

Tnmat,

Just for the sake of letting us know, why would you scoff at the idea of having this event at Ryan if this is the best place to host this event? I thought the idea of these latest post were to find or identify the best place for the state duals. Let us read your response as to why you have problems with the tourn. at Ryan. I personally think either McCallie or Baylor could host this event but as I stated earlier it just isn't fair to the rest of the state to come here for both tournaments. It only makes more sense to place this tournament in a place that is most accessible to all involved. With the current conditions of most public schools, they are having financial troubles that are effecting most of the athletic teams. My concern is that the TSSAA put the tourn. in a place that is centrally located and especially one that is large enough. And yes I did like Clarksville but as I stated in another post "it is not big enough for 3 mats and the teams that get put on the far mat have no fans close enough to cheer effectively for their teams". Yes, Overton had a good atmosphere but much to small for this event.

What's wrong with Father Ryan? The PA system / no match board. Each year it takes about 3 days for my headache to go away after the Father Ryan Invitational. The PA system causes the nice lady who calls out the upcoming matches and match results each year to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher. 2 straight days of that makes you question your interest in the sport. I will be the 1st to pledge $20.00 toward the purchase of a match board if they will commit to not announce the individual results or the upcoming matches. I'll save at least that much on advil. Tell me where to send my check.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe a better sight for the duals would be in Dickson. The area has plenty of hotel rooms for people who have to travel. There is an abundance of restaurants available. Most importantly, they have a gym that would hold three mats end to end with room for chairs between the mats. They have thirty feet of out of bounds from the basketball lines on each end of the gym. There wouldn't be a bad seat in the house. They also have those new form-fitting fiberglass bleachers that reduce bleacher butt fatigue. The bleachers can be entered from the top down to restrict floor movement.

Coach Badon, do us all a favor and try to secure this event for your school and city.

Tnmat,

My name is Johnny Masters and I am the head wrestling coach at Kenwood. I will have to say that in 1997, our first year of existence, we had a sloppy tournament with 32 teams. However, in the last 4 years we have hosted a total of 10 tournaments, including the Region 7 tournament in 2000 and again in 2002. Ask any Region 7 coach and you will find that we run an exceptional tournament. I have many students involved and they do an excellent job. I resent your statement and do take offense. We may not have many parents that are willing to get involved, but we do a great job anyway. Thanks for suggesting us, but the offensive comment was unjustified. Come to the Kenwood Klassic on December 7th and I guarantee you that you will see a very smooth tournament.

• 1 month later...
Guest cornpop

Kenwood has really steped up their program and the tournaments there get better each and every time. Masters is really getting the hang of running tournaments. But their gym is too small. The basketball court is not of regulation size. Sorry Coach Masters but you know it's true, we wrestling fans promise not to tell the state's basketball fans!