TNT State Tournament

ptguard12

The Jr. Lady Pioneers lost today to Hilham by 9. 35-26 was the final. Definately not the best game we have played this year and probably the worst first half they have played. Only scoring 10 points I know is their low for this year in a half. They definately came out flat today. Hilham has a very solid team with heigth and great handles with the ball. Good Luck to them in the finals!

ptguard12, Porter had a decent game but not the best she can do. Now that you've seen her (if you did go), what's your opinion on her? She can play!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jr. Lady Pioneers lost today to Hilham by 9. 35-26 was the final. Definately not the best game we have played this year and probably the worst first half they have played. Only scoring 10 points I know is their low for this year in a half. They definately came out flat today. Hilham has a very solid team with heigth and great handles with the ball. Good Luck to them in the finals!

ptguard12, Porter had a decent game but not the best she can do. Now that you've seen her (if you did go), what's your opinion on her? She can play!

Yeah I was there for that first half. Check you private messages.

It may not be the "State" to us, but I can tell you that these kids enjoy playing other schools that we typicaly don't get to play. We have 3-4 teams here in Overton County that is not associated with the tmsaa that I would say they could compete with at least 90% of the states middle school teams. I say 90% only because I don't get to see a lot of programs. But, what I have seen in the Upper Cumberland are some of the best players around. I am not saying there are not better players out there, I mean as a whole. The competition is pretty good night in and night out. And from my experience, if you can compete with these teams: Jackson County, Cookeville, Livingston Middle School, Allons, Hlham, Rickman, Cornerstone, Celina just to name of few, you can compete with most, if not all, of the teams of the state.

ptguard, you are right by saying that beacuse you are not sanctioned by the tmsaa, that your feeder program(s) do not help the high school programs. Here in Overton County, Livingston Middle, Hilham, Rickman, and Allons provide great talent for Livingston Academy without sanctioning. We all know that LA is powerhouse in AA basketball that can compete most years with alot of you AAA programs.

Allons, Rickman, Hilham, and LMS have all won one or both of the James C. Haile or TNT State tournaments in previous years and as recent as last year (Hilham TNT) and not one program has said they won the state. If they hang banners, it does not read "State Champs", it reads the name of the tounament followed by "Champions". Besides, alot of years here in Overton County, it is tougher to win the County Tounament than it is/was to win the "State" tournaments. For instance Hilham was third or fouth last year in the county.

Just to comment on the whole state thing. There is a very good reason why we in Overton County do not play in the TMSAA. That reason is simply they will not let you play 4th,5th,6th graders up on the Varsity team. By doing that, at small schools such as Allons, and Hilham there would barely be enough to put 5 on the floor, and some years there probably wouldn't be. However, by letting those younger grades play up, you give them valuable experience, and it makes them much better in the long run, as well as making those 7th and 8th graders bust their butts all year long to get to play because if they do not work they know there spot can and will be taken by a 6th grader or 5th grader,etc. In my opinion, the TMSAA makes it where the best schools in the state cannot play in their tournament by making rules like the one where the younger grades cannot play up. That is the big reason I think none of the Overton County schools want to play in TMSAA, correct me if I am wrong bigdaddy, but all the schools in Overton COunty last time I checked has 5th graders and 6th graders on their teams...right? Also, I believe that most of these schools have 6th graders starting now also...correct? Good luck to Livingston and Hilham in their games this weekend!!!

Just to comment on the whole state thing. There is a very good reason why we in Overton County do not play in the TMSAA. That reason is simply they will not let you play 4th,5th,6th graders up on the Varsity team. By doing that, at small schools such as Allons, and Hilham there would barely be enough to put 5 on the floor, and some years there probably wouldn't be. However, by letting those younger grades play up, you give them valuable experience, and it makes them much better in the long run, as well as making those 7th and 8th graders bust their butts all year long to get to play because if they do not work they know there spot can and will be taken by a 6th grader or 5th grader,etc. In my opinion, the TMSAA makes it where the best schools in the state cannot play in their tournament by making rules like the one where the younger grades cannot play up. That is the big reason I think none of the Overton County schools want to play in TMSAA, correct me if I am wrong bigdaddy, but all the schools in Overton COunty last time I checked has 5th graders and 6th graders on their teams...right? Also, I believe that most of these schools have 6th graders starting now also...correct? Good luck to Livingston and Hilham in their games this weekend!!!

As far as I know, All schools in the county do have 5th and 6th graders on their varsity teams. There are a few 6th graders that do start. It is good for these younger players to make the team to learn the system of that particular program and practice with the older kids. It just makes them better. Thanks for the well wishes.

Yes, Congratulations to the Hilham Lady Tigers. They had a great season.

I would also like to give a big CONGRATULATIONS to Livingston Middle School Lady Tigers. Winners of the AAA TNT Tournament for the ninth time(pretty impressive). Coach Dillon's first trip to the championship game. Congratulations to you as well. These girls put forth a lot of effort and I/we are very proud of each of them! Nice way to end the season: on a winning note!

Also, I want to say congratulations to the Hilham Lady Tigers and to LMS on winning their respective TNT State Championships. Good job in bringing home the state tournament trophies to Overton County, and it will be nice to see these girls in LA Blue and White next year, and interesting to see the county games and how they play out next year as well. Good job to both of these teams.!

• 9 months later...

I was wondering how a team that won one of the championships, had a very good crowd ( well behaved), had great sportsmanship not be invited back to partcipate. I heard that the Richview girls team was not invited back this year. This was a very well run ( although very streched out) tournament with very friendly people running it. So this came as a big surprise.