Coffee County

TowMater

I too think Mrs. Duvall is a great lady, but I have to say that I liked the commitee format. If you have the right people involved it can't be bad to have mulitple minds in on it. Coach Price did a fantastic job getting players and the community to buy in and turn the team into a program that can compete for a home playoff game every year, but it should be noted that he was no better than the third of forth choice for the job. Goes to show you a good coach can be found if you do the work.

Yes a good coach can be found if you do the work, but they have known Price was gone before Christmas and they have just now got down to 5. It is one thing to be thurough, and another to drag your feet. The kids, community, and coaches deserve to know who their leader is going to be next year. And I agree a commitee is the way to go.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct on one of them but the other is not Pip. I was told in confidence who the 5 are and will not release names on the t for everyone to see, but I will tell you this I have never heard of the other one before saturday. He does however share the same last name with a fairly well known coach.

Hopefully the administration will hire someone that can get them to the next level. Versus lower opponents they play well. When it is playoff time and they play teams that actually come out of a stance Coffee can not block or tackle George Burns with 2 broken hips.

Hopefully the administration will hire someone that can get them to the next level. Versus lower opponents they play well. When it is playoff time and they play teams that actually come out of a stance Coffee can not block or tackle George Burns with 2 broken hips.

Or it could be that in the playoffs they play against teams that have a lot more athletes and that is why they get beat all the time. I don't know only a guess on my part since they always go to region 4 which is the best region in the state. If you don't believe me just ask anyone from region 4 and they will tell you they are the best. Until there are the even close to being the same number of athletes on the field coffee will not due well in the playoffs. Besides the past two playoff apperances they lost to Smyrna who won the state championship and Wilson Central who knocked out rivedale and played Smyrna their best game of the year. So I would say loosing to these two teams is nothing to be woried about.

You are correct on one of them but the other is not Pip. I was told in confidence who the 5 are and will not release names on the t for everyone to see, but I will tell you this I have never heard of the other one before saturday. He does however share the same last name with a fairly well known coach.

but that same last name is a good one, but he won't be the one

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Not sure what the history is there Wing..but I assume you probably know Melton personally since you apparently have an issue with him even being considered for the CC job. I persoanlly believe that he would make an excellent head coach, but I'm not so sure that the fit in Coffee Co. would be a good one. You'd have to have pretty good athletes that are of above average intelligence to run what Melton runs...you can't convince me that those County kids would grasp the concept of a "spread-o". If it does turn out that he gets the job...I would imagine that his offense would be hard to prepare for by the opposing coaches. He's done a decent job with what he's had to work with in Tullahoma.

Not sure what the history is there Wing..but I assume you probably know Melton personally since you apparently have an issue with him even being considered for the CC job. I persoanlly believe that he would make an excellent head coach, but I'm not so sure that the fit in Coffee Co. would be a good one. You'd have to have pretty good athletes that are of above average intelligence to run what Melton runs...you can't convince me that those County kids would grasp the concept of a "spread-o". If it does turn out that he gets the job...I would imagine that his offense would be hard to prepare for by the opposing coaches. He's done a decent job with what he's had to work with in Tullahoma.

He won't get the job because he withdrew his name. And you are right, he would not be a good fit. Coffee County does not have the athletes to run a spread offense. And you know his coaching contract wasn't renewed and he was banished off to the alternative school prior to last season for a reason....a reason that CHS doesn't want any part of. He wouldn't have been coaching at THS last season if Olive hadn't thrown such a conniption fit. So you are right. He would not be a good fit.

He won't get the job because he withdrew his name. And you are right, he would not be a good fit. Coffee County does not have the athletes to run a spread offense. And you know his coaching contract wasn't renewed and he was banished off to the alternative school prior to last season for a reason....a reason that CHS doesn't want any part of. He wouldn't have been coaching at THS last season if Olive hadn't thrown such a conniption fit. So you are right. He would not be a good fit.

Can you blame Olive for throwing a fit? That's what good head coaches do, they fight for their own, and he obviously didn't want to lose Melton. Pretty admirable, if you ask me? I don't know anything about what the situation was there, but the fact is that there are only a handfull of coaches that have been as successful as Tullahoma (Melton in particular) with the 'spread'.

Can you blame Olive for throwing a fit? That's what good head coaches do, they fight for their own, and he obviously didn't want to lose Melton. Pretty admirable, if you ask me? I don't know anything about what the situation was there, but the fact is that there are only a handfull of coaches that have been as successful as Tullahoma (Melton in particular) with the 'spread'.

No I can't blame Olive for wanting his coach back. But what I can blame is Melton doing what he had been doing. If he wasn't a football coach, he would have been fired.