Obion Central Football Coach?

littleRebels

obion...I agree about Decker...If I had my choice it would be Decker over Kendall...Decker has at least had experience as a head coach @ Fulton City....Decker would bring an enthusiasm to the program they need....You have talked about loyalty,he would be very loyal to this program..He bleeds red,white and blue...I'm not sure how much loyalty his alma mater has shown him,or his wife,though...I personally think he should have been named the head coach after Bowling left...He would be walking the halls trying to get kids out for football....

We'll see though...Like I have said before this is a huge hire for this program......

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I don't think Kendall or Decker would be a bad choice. Also, I agree with how they treated Decker. Coach Driggers offered him to stay, but by that time the school system had already made the cut to deep. They are both good guys and hopefully one of the two will get the job. I just hope the system wide A.D. doesn't screw this hire up!!!!!!!

obion...I agree about Decker...If I had my choice it would be Decker over Kendall...Decker has at least had experience as a head coach @ Fulton City....Decker would bring an enthusiasm to the program they need....You have talked about loyalty,he would be very loyal to this program..He bleeds red,white and blue...I'm not sure how much loyalty his alma mater has shown him,or his wife,though...I personally think he should have been named the head coach after Bowling left...He would be walking the halls trying to get kids out for football....

We'll see though...Like I have said before this is a huge hire for this program......

Any news on the new head coach? Rumor has Decker, Kendall, Gurschick, and a guy from out of state. I heard the guy from out of state is the first choice of the system wide A.D., but he is getting heat about hiring from within the county. Any truth in this?

I agree. I don't think Kendall or Decker would be a bad choice. Also, I agree with how they treated Decker. Coach Driggers offered him to stay, but by that time the school system had already made the cut to deep. They are both good guys and hopefully one of the two will get the job. I just hope the system wide A.D. doesn't screw this hire up!!!!!!!

Honestly we fill like we will be greeting a new coach by the end of this week.

Alot of players felt like there was suppose to be an announcment yesterday during the athletic period. I didn't happen, but then again we almost got released for fear of the rodes freezing over so they may have held of for another day. Rumor is they made an offer to Coach Hill and he turned it down. I've heard a few people say an offer has been made to someone else and accepted. I never heard who though.

I did here that after Hill declined that Coach Decker is/was back in the frontrunning, because of popularity and community support. I imagined he was,but rumor has Coach Decker had a "rocky" interview with the A.D.

Who knows if there is an announcment or some sort of update. I'll let ya know.

Well, it looks like the Rebels will be spending lots of time in the weight room. (Not a bad thing by the way!) I hope this guy really knows football and is planning on staying and not just trying to move up the coaching ladder. Hopefully, Mike Hutchens will interview him next week and provide more information on him. This program needs stability more than anything!!!

I must say that I am shocked at this hire. I think the fans and parents of Obion Co. are sick and tired of seeing outsiders coming in and leaving in 1, 2 or 3 years. We once again had a chance to change this cycle but it didn't happen. The word on the street is OC administration wanted a local person and the AD powell made the decision to hire someone that is not from here. Powell has done a lot of talking to the community to see what the community's interest was. Powell heard Kendall and Decker's name a lot. Since he hired outside, he will have to face the consequences of this. It is ironic that M. Walton has a background very similar to Powell which Im sure makes them relate better. I feel bad for the Decker family. I think the old principal R. Wilson really gave him a bad image to the upper echelon. And unfortunately, that still lingers on. Some even questioned the Decker's loyalty. Can you believe that even after the DISLOYALTY to them!!! Everyone knows how great of a family the Deckers are, as well as the Kendall family. As for the B. Kendall, why don't you ask him how he was treated through this process. If you do and he tells you the truth, the true colors of the AD will come out. Where will we be in 2 years? My guess, running through the same cycle as we just completed. My guess though, we won't have a district wide athletic director when that time comes. Hate to be negative but this AD will probably take major heat over this one given he went to the community looking for input and went against their input. Unfortunately, it may take a while, but this may be the start of the end for the AD. I also think that people would rather give an extra supplement to the AD's and let them handle school decisions. This would only save our school system about $70K a year and a company car and gas. I think we could use our money in wiser areas!

I must say that I am shocked at this hire. I think the fans and parents of Obion Co. are sick and tired of seeing outsiders coming in and leaving in 1, 2 or 3 years. We once again had a chance to change this cycle but it didn't happen. The word on the street is OC administration wanted a local person and the AD powell made the decision to hire someone that is not from here. Powell has done a lot of talking to the community to see what the community's interest was. Powell heard Kendall and Decker's name a lot. Since he hired outside, he will have to face the consequences of this. It is ironic that M. Walton has a background very similar to Powell which Im sure makes them relate better. I feel bad for the Decker family. I think the old principal R. Wilson really gave him a bad image to the upper echelon. And unfortunately, that still lingers on. Some even questioned the Decker's loyalty. Can you believe that even after the DISLOYALTY to them!!! Everyone knows how great of a family the Deckers are, as well as the Kendall family. As for the B. Kendall, why don't you ask him how he was treated through this process. If you do and he tells you the truth, the true colors of the AD will come out. Where will we be in 2 years? My guess, running through the same cycle as we just completed. My guess though, we won't have a district wide athletic director when that time comes. Hate to be negative but this AD will probably take major heat over this one given he went to the community looking for input and went against their input. Unfortunately, it may take a while, but this may be the start of the end for the AD. I also think that people would rather give an extra supplement to the AD's and let them handle school decisions. This would only save our school system about $70K a year and a company car and gas. I think we could use our money in wiser areas!

Nahhhh it won't be two years.....Well......The new coach lasted three days...Mark Walton resigned today...

This is almost comical......Not your post......This program

Now I wonder who will get the job??...I mean if I'm Decker or Kendall I run for the hills....Paul had already interviewed for this job after Bowling left for Dyersburg and didn't get it....Then this??

And i'll tell you the truth...I know every coach aspires to be a head coach but I know for a fact one instance that if I'm Kendall I wouldn't come back...The Rebels had just played the Covington Chargers at Covington and had played them down to the wire before losing...As Kendall and the coaching staff were leaving the field a parent of one of the senior football players verbally confronted Kendall about not having his son on the field on the last couple of plays of the game.....This was done on the field no less...It took a heckuva lot of restraint from Kendall not to go off..I know this happened because I was maybe 10 ft away outside the fence waiting to say a few words to my son before he went into the dressing room...Why would he want to come back to a program that still has those same people that "support" the program??..If it will happen when he is an assistant and the decision to have the kid in that game was probably the head coaches' decision anyway..Who's to say it won't happen when he actually would be making those decisions??....All of this kind of reminds me of the boosters of the football team featured in Friday Night Lights,except for the fact they were a winning program...

I don't question Decker's loyalty to this program..I even mentioned in an earlier post that I questioned the loyalty of his alma mater to him and his wife for that matter...I agree the former principal had alot to do with him not getting the job when they hired Driggers...

If people will remember,some of these "loyal fans" wanted to run Darren Bowling out on a rail when he brought in his mid-line option veer offense to Troy after a couple of years of Chris Hill's pass happy offense...The Rebels had an all-state QB who had been a Mr Football finalist who had thrown for over 3,000 yards and Bowling asked him to run the ball more and throw the ball alot less...All Bowling did was lead the Rebels to the playoffs and the school's ONLY playoff victory...Even two years ago when OC was outgaining almost everyone they played and competing(6-4)against one of the toughest schedules in 3A football you could hear the moaning and groaning about running the ball up the middle so much.....

Sounds like parents are a problem in OC. I don't blame him for resigning after I've seen what rebel73 post and what Coach Walton has been told by the OC fans. How can you coach a program when you don't even want that coach there?! Don't blame the AD, blame yourself! I hope this coach goes to his next team and wins the state championship and he sends an email to OC and say thanks for the job offer...at this rate I hope Obion Co. get's a coach who has no clue about the game of football...Good Luck Walton!!