Obion Central Football Coach?

littleRebels

Sounds like parents are a problem in OC. I don't blame him for resigning after I've seen what rebel73 post and what Coach Walton has been told by the OC fans. How can you coach a program when you don't even want that coach there?! Don't blame the AD, blame yourself! I hope this coach goes to his next team and wins the state championship and he sends an email to OC and say thanks for the job offer...at this rate I hope Obion Co. get's a coach who has no clue about the game of football...Good Luck Walton!!

I'm probably going to take some heat for what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Mark Walton was not a good hire. Nothing personal agaisnt the man himself. And no I'm not one of the people that went and talked to him over the weekend and told him he was not welcome at OC. I would never do that. Whether or not I like a coach or agree with his style, I have always supported Obion Central 100%. And I'm also not one of these people that says it has to be Decker or Kendall or we don't want him. What I want and the MAJORITY of Rebel fans want is to have somebody that will at the very least have a competitive team on the field every year. Should this have been handled a different way? Yes,definitely! The thing I'm most tired of is the entire Obion Co. community being dragged through the mud by the actions of a few individuals. That's not fair. I wish Walton the best of luck in everything he does and I'm sorry his feelings were hurt over this. It's just hard for me to believe that out of 20-25 candidates that he was the best. Maybe if he'd of had head coaching experience or hadn't of been out of coaching for three years or hadn't of been at five schools in eight years while he was coaching, I'd of felt differently. Like i said I'll probably take some heat over this, but that's my thoughts. Whatever comes out of this mess, I hope Obion Central winds up with a good coach who wants to stay and get the program headed in the right direction.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably going to take some heat for what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. Mark Walton was not a good hire. Nothing personal agaisnt the man himself. And no I'm not one of the people that went and talked to him over the weekend and told him he was not welcome at OC. I would never do that. Whether or not I like a coach or agree with his style, I have always supported Obion Central 100%. And I'm also not one of these people that says it has to be Decker or Kendall or we don't want him. What I want and the MAJORITY of Rebel fans want is to have somebody that will at the very least have a competitive team on the field every year. Should this have been handled a different way? Yes,definitely! The thing I'm most tired of is the entire Obion Co. community being dragged through the mud by the actions of a few individuals. That's not fair. I wish Walton the best of luck in everything he does and I'm sorry his feelings were hurt over this. It's just hard for me to believe that out of 20-25 candidates that he was the best. Maybe if he'd of had head coaching experience or hadn't of been out of coaching for three years or hadn't of been at five schools in eight years while he was coaching, I'd of felt differently. Like i said I'll probably take some heat over this, but that's my thoughts. Whatever comes out of this mess, I hope Obion Central winds up with a good coach who wants to stay and get the program headed in the right direction.

You shouldn't take any heat over your opinion.....You didn't take it to the next level and not even give the guy a chance.....You know,we don't know what went on in those interviews and nobody other than the people involved in the hiring process should know..I don't guess anyone did except the people in the room at the time...He may have been the best choice for the job...I don't hardly see how the county-wide A.D and the superintendent would pick a guy that wasn't the best choice...That wouldn't make any sense..Would it??...I know out the people I knew who applied who I would liked to have seen gotten the job...I felt bad for him when I found out he didn't get it.....again....But I was willing to give the guy a chance....You are absolutely 100% correct on your comment about the actions of a few smearing the perception of the majority....You know as well as I do that there are many,many,many good people that support OCCHS sports but my goodness there a few jerks that seem to want to stick their noses in where they shouldn't be time after time after time.....I'll say again,if I'm Decker or Kendall I'd run from this thing like the plague but I saw where Kendall had reapplied...We'll see...

You shouldn't take any heat over your opinion.....You didn't take it to the next level and not even give the guy a chance.....You know,we don't know what went on in those interviews and nobody other than the people involved in the hiring process should know..I don't guess anyone did except the people in the room at the time...He may have been the best choice for the job...I don't hardly see how the county-wide A.D and the superintendent would pick a guy that wasn't the best choice...That wouldn't make any sense..Would it??...I know out the people I knew who applied who I would liked to have seen gotten the job...I felt bad for him when I found out he didn't get it.....again....But I was willing to give the guy a chance....You are absolutely 100% correct on your comment about the actions of a few smearing the perception of the majority....You know as well as I do that there are many,many,many good people that support OCCHS sports but my goodness there a few jerks that seem to want to stick their noses in where they shouldn't be time after time after time.....I'll say again,if I'm Decker or Kendall I'd run from this thing like the plague but I saw where Kendall had reapplied...We'll see...

I have my opinions on whether they would've hired the best person for the job or not. I've heard rumors that that the A.D. thinks we should focus on the sports we can excel at. Obviously football is not one of them so you can draw your own conclusions. Obion Central is and I guess always will be a basketball school and I'm just afraid this may be all that we're gonna be soon. Nothing agaisnt the basketball program as I cheer just as hard for them as I do all sports at OC. I know alot of folks probably feel that we should be happy that anybody wants to coach us at all. But we don't want to have a team that wins 1 or 2 games every year just for the sake of having a football team. We wanna have a good competitive product on the field every week. That's what Coach Hill and Coach Bowling brought to the field. People couldn't just show up and beat us because we were Obion Central, they had to play hard for four quarters or they were gonna leave with a loss. It's my hope and the hope of all the fans of Obion Co. that the next coach will give us that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like parents are a problem in OC. I don't blame him for resigning after I've seen what rebel73 post and what Coach Walton has been told by the OC fans. How can you coach a program when you don't even want that coach there?! Don't blame the AD, blame yourself! I hope this coach goes to his next team and wins the state championship and he sends an email to OC and say thanks for the job offer...at this rate I hope Obion Co. get's a coach who has no clue about the game of football...Good Luck Walton!!

There is no doubt there are instances when parents are a problem, at OC as well as other programs. It was not the place of a parent to tell this man he would not be welcome. With that said, you are wrong. I do blame the AD or whoever made that decision. Mr. Walton coached at 5 different schools in 8 years as an assistant with no head coaching experience. He has spent the last 3 years in a non-coaching position at UTM. I don't believe he would have brought consistency to the program and I can't believe he was the best choice out of 20-25 applicants as was suggested. Perhaps someone should have paid attention to the recommendations of the school principal, asst. principal or the school AD. I hope he wins a state championship at his next job and wish him the best. But I do not think he was the clear cut best choice for Obion County. Neither Coach Hill, Coach Bowling, nor Coach Driggers left due to community pressure or a lack of support. Hill has made several job changes since leaving OC and so has Bowling. Perhaps it's time to look at local potential with community ties to provide a long term coach for stability in the program. I do not know whom supposedly told Walton he would not be welcome, and I don't agree with it being done. But perhaps they did him a favor. Regardless, your comment on your hopes for the future of OC are not neighborly and found to be insulting to the athletes, student body, and program supporters. Your comments will not be forgotten.

Any rumors on the new coaching prospect? You can go ahead and rule out a local candidate for the position. The Huss and Powell are against it for some reason.

There is no doubt there are instances when parents are a problem, at OC as well as other programs. It was not the place of a parent to tell this man he would not be welcome. With that said, you are wrong. I do blame the AD or whoever made that decision. Mr. Walton coached at 5 different schools in 8 years as an assistant with no head coaching experience. He has spent the last 3 years in a non-coaching position at UTM. I don't believe he would have brought consistency to the program and I can't believe he was the best choice out of 20-25 applicants as was suggested. Perhaps someone should have paid attention to the recommendations of the school principal, asst. principal or the school AD. I hope he wins a state championship at his next job and wish him the best. But I do not think he was the clear cut best choice for Obion County. Neither Coach Hill, Coach Bowling, nor Coach Driggers left due to community pressure or a lack of support. Hill has made several job changes since leaving OC and so has Bowling. Perhaps it's time to look at local potential with community ties to provide a long term coach for stability in the program. I do not know whom supposedly told Walton he would not be welcome, and I don't agree with it being done. But perhaps they did him a favor. Regardless, your comment on your hopes for the future of OC are not neighborly and found to be insulting to the athletes, student body, and program supporters. Your comments will not be forgotten.

As a graduate of OC and a football player for four year under Coach Bowling, I would like to say I'm completely disappointed in some of our fans and they way they handle things......It sometimes makes me sick to come back to MY school to watch a simple spring practice or even a game...Give somebody a chance not three days and tell them they're not welcome.....Yes, I wanted Coach Kendall or Coach Decker to get the job, but when they don't get it....You don't run off the other coach...Nobody wants to come to Troy and coach anymore cause they have to deal with all of everyones BS.....You say you want whats best for this program, but all you're doing is making it worse....Everyone involved in this should feel very proud at what they've done......

With that, I hope we hire someone soon.....maybe Coach Kendall or Coach Decker will get it now, but I don't know if I would want it now.....I wish the best of luck to these guys without a coach....They definately don't deserve this

GO REBELS!!!!

I agree they do not deserve this, and some of the fans would not be happy with a gold ball every year. As I said, I don't agree with a parent telling Walton he would not be welcome. I also do not agree that Walton was the best candidate. I think Decker or Kendall would both be more qualified to provide stability for the program. If there were better candidates, then select one of them. But looking at the resume of Walton, I don't think that was a wise decision. My opinion, the superintendent may be trying to send a message that he will not be pressured in his hirings. I agree he should not be, but also shouldn't let that stand in the way of hiring the better prospect for the program. Yes, Decker and Kendall both left OC. I would change jobs also if I knew I had no chance for advancement. What someone fails to see is that whoever gets the job will have just left their program as well. Is Paul the best candidate, is Barry the best candidate, I don't know. But I see them both as being better candidates than Walton. If I were Paul or Barry I would dodge this situation like the plague. But they both have a history with and a passion for the school.Big kudos to them for their loyalty. I simply want to see someone with a reason to stay come in, be it a local or from afar. Unfortunately, the recent past shows little tenure from afar. My son has probably played his last football game at OC, and I don't know if it would matter to him who they hire at this point. But just as I watched every game for the last 7 years,(other than a one year hiatus far away from here) home and away (including your last game in the rain on a muddy field in Ripley). I will continue to watch and support the Rebels. Kids deserve better than what they are getting.

I agree they do not deserve this, and some of the fans would not be happy with a gold ball every year. As I said, I don't agree with a parent telling Walton he would not be welcome. I also do not agree that Walton was the best candidate. I think Decker or Kendall would both be more qualified to provide stability for the program. If there were better candidates, then select one of them. But looking at the resume of Walton, I don't think that was a wise decision. My opinion, the superintendent may be trying to send a message that he will not be pressured in his hirings. I agree he should not be, but also shouldn't let that stand in the way of hiring the better prospect for the program. Yes, Decker and Kendall both left OC. I would change jobs also if I knew I had no chance for advancement. What someone fails to see is that whoever gets the job will have just left their program as well. Is Paul the best candidate, is Barry the best candidate, I don't know. But I see them both as being better candidates than Walton. If I were Paul or Barry I would dodge this situation like the plague. But they both have a history with and a passion for the school.Big kudos to them for their loyalty. I simply want to see someone with a reason to stay come in, be it a local or from afar. Unfortunately, the recent past shows little tenure from afar. My son has probably played his last football game at OC, and I don't know if it would matter to him who they hire at this point. But just as I watched every game for the last 7 years,(other than a one year hiatus far away from here) home and away (including your last game in the rain on a muddy field in Ripley). I will continue to watch and support the Rebels. Kids deserve better than what they are getting.

Good post!....I agree that Walton was not the best choice in the first place......but you see where I'm coming from though right?.....I know if I was on the team all I want is a little stability.....We've not had that here besides Coach Bowling....and he was there only 4 years....These kids don't know who will coach the year in and year out and thats sad.....I love Rebel football....I ate, slept, and breathed it while I was there....and to be honest deep down I still do....I absolutely cannot stand the direction we're heading in as a program......I really get sick to my stomach when I hear about all this....I now just want to get someone hired, so these kids can know who will be their coach next year....I hope all this mess gets settled and the parents stay out of it.....seriously

GO REBELS!!!!!

*Edit*....I gave everything I had for this program along with the other Seniors I had on my team.....I just hope that whoever is hired can do the same thing for this program and the parents will let him

Whoever get's this coaching position, I wish the best of luck....I hope he comes into the program and puts his foot down and let's people know who he is and how he's going to be. Parents may not like the guy when he does that but he may get the program turned around! It'll obviously be hard for OC to have a good season next year with the coaching coming in this late in the year and not even having a spring football practice lined up. When are they supposed to make another decision?

Whoever get's this coaching position, I wish the best of luck....I hope he comes into the program and puts his foot down and let's people know who he is and how he's going to be. Parents may not like the guy when he does that but he may get the program turned around! It'll obviously be hard for OC to have a good season next year with the coaching coming in this late in the year and not even having a spring football practice lined up. When are they supposed to make another decision?

Who knows now?

Good post!....I agree that Walton was not the best choice in the first place......but you see where I'm coming from though right?.....I know if I was on the team all I want is a little stability.....We've not had that here besides Coach Bowling....and he was there only 4 years....These kids don't know who will coach the year in and year out and thats sad.....I love Rebel football....I ate, slept, and breathed it while I was there....and to be honest deep down I still do....I absolutely cannot stand the direction we're heading in as a program......I really get sick to my stomach when I hear about all this....I now just want to get someone hired, so these kids can know who will be their coach next year....I hope all this mess gets settled and the parents stay out of it.....seriously

GO REBELS!!!!!

*Edit*....I gave everything I had for this program along with the other Seniors I had on my team.....I just hope that whoever is hired can do the same thing for this program and the parents will let him

Yes, I see where you're coming from. I feel a large part of the problem now is that coaches see OC as a chance to prove themselves in thinking that if they have success at OC then they can get a higher paying job at another school. When you combine that with the handful of "I run the county" fans, all of Obion County gets a black eye as the result. Word was that Coach Hill wanted to go home, that Coach Bowling left for more money as would most folks. I knew Coach Driggers quite well. He was impressed with the support he received from most associated with the system and program. He drew a year with lesser talent and got a late start, and he was somewhat overwhelmed with what was involved in the admin duties and such which take away from a coach's focus. I hold no ill feelings toward him or the other 2.

I think there are those who exacerbate the parental involvement for their own purposes. I never see a decent article in the local paper about OC football. It always says that the Rebels were somehow able to win against a more talented opponent that had more athletic skills. I say BULL. OC was able to compete due to having athletes in position, rather than a couple of "stars". It's harder to beat 11 athletes than to beat 3 stars. I think we both know that the comments of one person do not represent the county as a whole, yet people seem to perceive that it does. Yes, parents need to stay out of the mix. If they have a problem, speak to your school board member. The AD and Superintendent answer to the board, not to individuals. If the board does not serve their constituents, then elect another school board. But let's get a coach hired and in place for these kids, and may the naysayers from within this county and from outside it bite me. Tell your pop I said hello and y'all come up on the hill this year and watch some baseball. OC is going to a new format of fielding a freshman, JV, and varsity team. The 3 combined will play about 90 games. Hopefully things will turn around on "The Hill" as well. And come check out the softball field, BIG upgrades there as well. Keep your passion for OC, things are going to improve.

Obion County a basketball school ..................... OOOO KKK ! I'' give you that, but over the years & "back in the day" they were a football "powerhouse" as well. I remember well plaing in week nine many years ago when OCCHS was undefeated AND UNSCORED on (until week NINE) ! A formidable foe year in & year out. IMO there is NO excuse when you have the enrollment that OCCHS has to consider playing to excel in only one sport at the expense of all the others. I have no coments or opinions on the coaching selection other than to concede one sport & say that the Rebels have always been a "basketball school" is a gross injustice to the football players that attend OCCHS. All the banter on here about transfers to UC ............ well think about it if football is your sport & everyone says "We're a "BASKETBALL SCHOOL" ..................... go figure !!!!!!! What would keep you there over UC?