Grace at Temple Friday

ABBRH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Temple for winning a game they weren't supposed to win.

It must be terribly frustrating to be a Grace fan and have all that size and talent and not be able to win your district. They really should be beating everyone by 20 or more, they just don't play good basketball.

The defining point in the game for me was in the 4th quarter, the score was very close, Temple turns the ball over and Hermann gets the ball with no one in front of him and Shaughnessy. Instead of passing the ball to Shaughnessy which would have led to 2 points, a mosterous dunk, and a dagger into the spirit of Temple, Hermann tries a dunk of his own which missed, and Temple got the rebound. That selfish play may have cost Grace the championship.

I also really feel sorry for Grace's big men. They fought for position down low all night but couldn't get anyone to pass the ball to them. Once, Shaughnessy got the ball on the high post and fed it to McMasters for a dunk, but besides that play both men got ignored for most of the night. I suddenly realize why McMasters stays out of the post most often. Why get all beat up down there when you're not going to get the ball anyway?

Good news up Pickett Co's way. So now at worse if/when PC wins region they have a easier path paved to state tournament already. Temple is a tough team, but I think if Pickett had to choose they would rather play them than CSAS and/or Grace. I guess Grace could beat CSAS and then Temple beat Grace again to send Grace up here. As a Pickett Co. fan I'm just glad to see that either CSAS or Grace will be going home earlier than expected.

Keys to last night's game:

1) Sexton is unstoppable. Period. He put on a clinic last night.

2) Kemp finally hit some big shots against Grace. He played well offensively.

3) Temple totally shut down Shaughnessy. Patrick was the difference in the first 2 games, but last night he was a non-factor. If he had had his usual game, Grace wins.

4) Jarrod Johnson had 9 first half points, including one 3 pointer. Grace was down 9 at the half. Go figure.

*One note about Brandon Hermann. He is obviously an incredible offensive player and Grace would not have even played Temple close last night without his effort. That being said, he made a couple of poor decisions that really hurt Grace down the stretch. The decision to dunk instead of lay the ball up or pass it to Patrick seems foolish looking back on it. Of course, he has dunked several times this year and he had a good look at it last night and just missed it. Besides that, several possessions...especially in the first half...he seemed out of control...determined to shoot no matter what. I love the way he plays, but he is sometimes too out of control and raw. If his mental game matures he will be incredible.

Region Tourney just got a lot more interesting. Can't wait!