DISTRICT 1 TOURNAMENT

TommyMan37604

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When and who plays who? Who has the best shot at winning this years district title? Will THS make 4 in a row or will someone finally knock them off?

Tenn. High should be a slight favorite but any of a group of 5-6 teams have a shot. D-B could have a shot to win if their dipstick coach would let them play a little. South, SH, both have a good chance. I wouldn't want to be playing Central the first round either. It should be interesting!!!!!! Probably the most wide open field in several years.

Last night the DB girls took it to Boone. There run might be over. Wonder how they rebound next year? DB might be the sleeper of this tourney unless Central pulls the upset tonight. I do not think SHHS will have too much trouble with East. DB has the tools to be a dangerous team with their inside game and when there shots are falling it will be hard for a team to stop them.

Friday's Semi's

Tenn. High vs. DB at 6:00

SHHS/East vs South/Central at 7:30

Last night the DB girls took it to Boone. There run might be over. Wonder how they rebound next year? DB might be the sleeper of this tourney unless Central pulls the upset tonight. I do not think SHHS will have too much trouble with East. DB has the tools to be a dangerous team with their inside game and when there shots are falling it will be hard for a team to stop them. Friday's Semi's Tenn. High vs. DB at 6:00SHHS/East vs South/Central at 7:30

Don't know which was worse, Boone's shooting in the first half, or the officiating. Fouls in the first half were 14 to 5. Boone shot no free throws in the first half, DB shot 26 free throws to 9 for the game. Officials kept Caldwell and Nickels on the bench most of the game. One of the other prominent head coaches in attendance said it was "unbelievable". Still DB played a great game, and made their shots, so congrats to them, and good luck.TN High has got to be the team to beat, but any one of these four can beat any other one, so it should be interesting.....

Also does anyone know who recieved the all conference awards this year?

I don't think they've announced these yet.

I wonder when they will announce the awards. 28 pts is a lot. Did Boone just not show up. I saw the game to and yes calling was bad at times but both teams have the same officals. Players have to be smart enough to know how the game is being called and adjust their game. I do hate for Boone, wish you guys would have moved on. I just think now that DB has crossed that mark they might make a good run.I wonder when they will announce the awards. 28 pts is a lot. Did Boone just not show up. I saw the game to and yes calling was bad at times but both teams have the same officals. Players have to be smart enough to know how the game is being called and adjust their game. I do hate it for Boone, wish you guys would have moved on. I just think now that DB has crossed that mark they might make a good run.

Both teams had the same officials, but the officials did not call the same way for both teams. Frolich and Devine were fouling way more than Caldwell and Nickels, and they couldn't "adjust to the way the game was being called", as they were already on the bench in the 1st quarter. So bad that one of the heads over the officials called one of the parents to apologize. From what I hear, this issue may not go away soon. It won't change the outcome of the tournament, but it might change the future of 2 officials. Can't say more, but the rumor mill has been spinning in Kingsport.

Not saying that DB wouldn't have won, it's just a shame that two girls as talented as those two didn't get a shot to finish their season in a better manner than sitting on the bench.

Still rooting for any of these teams to beat the District 2 teams in Greeneville.

Both teams had the same officials, but the officials did not call the same way for both teams. Frolich and Devine were fouling way more than Caldwell and Nickels, and they couldn't "adjust to the way the game was being called", as they were already on the bench in the 1st quarter. So bad that one of the heads over the officials called one of the parents to apologize. From what I hear, this issue may not go away soon. It won't change the outcome of the tournament, but it might change the future of 2 officials. Can't say more, but the rumor mill has been spinning in Kingsport.

Not saying that DB wouldn't have won, it's just a shame that two girls as talented as those two didn't get a shot to finish their season in a better manner than sitting on the bench.

Still rooting for any of these teams to beat the District 2 teams in Greeneville.

As an impartial fan who just went to watch the game I must say your view seems to be a little scewed. I saw several things by both teams that wasn't called but did not think it was unfair one way or the other. Yes Boone was called for more fouls but they commtted more fouls. All of Caldwell's fouls looked legitimate to me. Don't recall those by Nickels. If you go an entire quarter without scoring don't expect to win those games.. Sorry but better luck in track and softball.

Tonight is the night!!!

3rd place game is at 6:00 with Tenn. Hight vs. South, should be a good game but i will go out on a limb and say South pulls an upset of big proption setting up a Tenn. High and Greenvill 1st rd of the Regionals.

Championship game is at 7:30 with SHHS vs. DB, i am going to ride the DB band wagon and say DB wins this one by 5 because of their size inside aginst SHHS. The only way SHHS has a chance will be if their inside game can hold down the boards. SHHS struggled to rebound against South on Friday.

As an impartial fan who just went to watch the game I must say your view seems to be a little scewed. I saw several things by both teams that wasn't called but did not think it was unfair one way or the other. Yes Boone was called for more fouls but they commtted more fouls. All of Caldwell's fouls looked legitimate to me. Don't recall those by Nickels. If you go an entire quarter without scoring don't expect to win those games.. Sorry but better luck in track and softball.

You've got to be kidding me................

Your "impartial view" differed from the newspaper reporter from the JC Press, the head coach of the regular season champs, and most other people who weren't pulling for DB. You're right, you can't go scoreless for a quarter and expect to win, but with Nickels and Caldwell on the floor instead of the bench, that probably doesn't happen. As far as Boone committing more fouls? My daughter would disagree, since she was the one Devine was punching in the back of the head under the basket, until my daughter finally threatened to take an ejection and punch her in the mouth if she did it again. If all of Caldwell's fouls were legitimate, then why wasn't Frolich called for doing the same? If you put them BOTH on the bench, then it becomes a different game again.

Rumor has it that someone from DB was mad because Osborne got knocked down in the previous game, and cut a highlight tape of Caldwell's fouls for the head official. I know he called a member of Nickel's family to apologize.

Regardless, these type of things happen, and that's not to say that DB wouldn't have won anyway. They are very talented. I just hate it for the 2 seniors, who didn't even get an opportunity to compete in their last game.

Congrats to Science Hill on winning the tournament. I knew they'd get it together for tournament time. And good luck to all four District 1 teams as they battle the evil forces of District 2...................

Whoa there.

Didn't say it was a coach. I have no idea who it was. The refs claimed not to have seen it, but what else would they say? I also heard it might have been one of the 3 refs who "blew the whistle" on the whole thing. I know one ref in particular called almost all the fouls on Caldwell, so he certainly acted like he'd seen something, and was watching for something.

Anyway, as I keep saying, it doesn't matter now. It's over and nothing can or will be done about it. I will pull for ALL the Big 9 teams in the Regional. Wish we were there. We matched up well against the IMAC teams we played this year and last. Hope the rest of the Big 9 does the same!