Kingston Lady Yellowjackets`

JACKETDAD

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need water also.

It ain't the x's and o's..........it's the jimmys and joes.

Much wisdom in that statement.

How good would OS girls have been the last few years w/o the likes of Hall, Monk, Christopher? Someone has to make shots. How good would Harriman have been in '94-'95 w/o Copeland and Boyd?

How many hours has RCHS girls spent ON THEIR OWN working on ball handling/shooting/etc.?

Need water also.

It ain't the x's and o's..........it's the jimmys and joes.

Much wisdom in that statement.

How good would OS girls have been the last few years w/o the likes of Hall, Monk, Christopher? Someone has to make shots. How good would Harriman have been in '94-'95 w/o Copeland and Boyd?

How many hours has RCHS girls spent ON THEIR OWN working on ball handling/shooting/etc.?

Kingston has got more talent than their 14-44 record. Yea 44 losses not 54. My math is as bad as their record!!

There are 4 bigs including the Frosh who should have got a couple of minutes a game. The guards can handle the rock. There are shooters, one that doesn't get off the bench and a starter who needs to look to shoot more. They have a go to player in Smith. The bigs can and did make going in the middle an adventure. The guards can defend. That is the good. Now for the bad. The guards do throw the stupid pass alot. The bigs do drop passes and are played out of position. The guards do miss a lot of layups that should be dishes.

The coach could get better in the off season too. I have heard other coaches and parents say that the players need to respect him more. I agree. I have no ill will to coach Anderson. I really mean that too. I would love to see him make this a successful program. A lot of people in this post have offered some heartfelt advice and truthful observations. A lot of it is really good too. If he stops letting players make dumb passes(bench em!), stomp their feet or point fingers at other players after their own mistake(bench em), take several plays off(bench em), insist on the team first concept this team would be at least .500 if not better.

I obviously believe in coaching that make players accountable. Look at good coaches on the collegiate level. If a player is really athletic and talented but won't do what the coach wants, they don't play. They sit on the bench until they get it. Coach A, make your practices HARD. No standing around or sitting around. Get the assitant involved. Get these girls in shape. Work on fundamentals every practice. It is proven that you play how you practice. Teach them how to pick, fight through picks, make them throw good hard smart passes every time, use your bigs better, leave them inside where they can rebound or play high /low. Make the guards understand that they HAVE TO box out and rebound too. They have to be taught to look for their shot and to catch the ball in the shooting postion. Teach them that you take the easy pass.

Coach A, I am not saying you have to yell or act like Bobby Knight. I am saying that you need to make your players understand that your word and rules are the ONLY way.

Why do schools put up with losing the way Kingston has.

I looked at their roster and they have some size, some decent guards, and look like they could play 7 or 8 a night so why are they allowed to stink by the administration?

14-44 you know in sports you are what your record says you are as a coach especially! Just food for thought!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that Roane County in general cares about girl's basketball like those on the plateau.

Rockwood isn't very good

Harriman is getting better but still isn't a contender

Midway is pretty bad

Kingston isn't even a threat to be competitive

O.S. is a great program that has all the tradition and players to support it, but if you take them out of the mix it is pretty bad!

I think it would take a massive overhaul to build roane co. up to the level that some of it's surrounding counterparts enjoy.

I don't think that Roane County in general cares about girl's basketball like those on the plateau.

Rockwood isn't very good

Harriman is getting better but still isn't a contender

Midway is pretty bad

Kingston isn't even a threat to be competitive

O.S. is a great program that has all the tradition and players to support it, but if you take them out of the mix it is pretty bad!

I think it would take a massive overhaul to build roane co. up to the level that some of it's surrounding counterparts enjoy.

Agreed.

Softball is the sport that most parents and girls want to play now. It allows slow, unathletic kids a chance to play and doesn't require a great deal of skill(pitchers excluded).

Agreed.

Softball is the sport that most parents and girls want to play now. It allows slow, unathletic kids a chance to play and doesn't require a great deal of skill(pitchers excluded).

I agree with this statement. I'm gonna say this and be done with it, most of the people that are

writing on this board are parents or aunts or uncles or grandparents, I read about kids not having good attitudes and how they can play and how

the best shooter is on the bench: gimme a break, the fact is not one of these girls could have played on a Kingston team 18,20 , or 30 years ago, should their record be better;yes do they have a little talent; yes,should the coach have more discipline:yes. The post players are decent but it ain't like they can play on the next level, speaking of attitudes the guard and the post have the worst ones on the team. Most of these girls are to worried about their make-up before the game instead of getting focused. These kids attitudes didn't start with basketball it started at home from parents, the parents of these players act worse than the kids, yelling at officials when calls don't go your way: bad mouthing coaches and other players b/c your kid ain't playing or is not as good as you think they are. Go drink you a glass of reality. IF YOU PARENTS OR WHOEVER THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN GO GET A TEACHING CERTIFICATE AND START COACHING. I just love all this expert advice from these basketball gurus.

I agree with this statement. I'm gonna say this and be done with it, most of the people that are

writing on this board are parents or aunts or uncles or grandparents, I read about kids not having good attitudes and how they can play and how

the best shooter is on the bench: gimme a break, the fact is not one of these girls could have played on a Kingston team 18,20 , or 30 years ago, should their record be better;yes do they have a little talent; yes,should the coach have more discipline:yes. The post players are decent but it ain't like they can play on the next level, speaking of attitudes the guard and the post have the worst ones on the team. Most of these girls are to worried about their make-up before the game instead of getting focused. These kids attitudes didn't start with basketball it started at home from parents, the parents of these players act worse than the kids, yelling at officials when calls don't go your way: bad mouthing coaches and other players b/c your kid ain't playing or is not as good as you think they are. Go drink you a glass of reality. IF YOU PARENTS OR WHOEVER THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN GO GET A TEACHING CERTIFICATE AND START COACHING. I just love all this expert advice from these basketball gurus.

I have to respectfully disagree with you about none of these girls could have played on a kingston team a long time ago. I'm sure you probably know who I am so I'll just say what I think, and I'll only speak about my own daughter. I think she will play at the next level, it may be DII, III or NAIA but with the number of schools that have already contacted her, I believe someone will be interested. As for the kids bad attitudes, I agree to a point, however, I believe some of these attitudes are brought on by frustration. That frustration is due to playing on a team that has continuously lost. Its tuff to stay positive when you continually lose. As for your advice in getting a teaching certificate and coaching, it appears you may be the one that should take your own advice, you seem to think you know everything thats going wrong with the program, maybe you could fix it. Just a thought

the best shooter is on the bench: gimme a break, the fact is not one of these girls could have played on a Kingston team 18,20 , or 30 years ago , should their record be better;yes do they have a little talent; yes,should the coach have more discipline:yes. The post players are decent but it ain't like they can play on the next level, speaking of attitudes the guard and the post have the worst ones on the team. Most of these girls are to worried about their make-up before the game instead of getting focused. These kids attitudes didn't start with basketball it started at home from parents, the parents of these players act worse than the kids, yelling at officials when calls don't go your way: bad mouthing coaches and other players b/c your kid ain't playing or is not as good as you think they are. Go drink you a glass of reality. IF YOU PARENTS OR WHOEVER THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN GO GET A TEACHING CERTIFICATE AND START COACHING. I just love all this expert advice from these basketball gurus.

I think there are a few girls that will be given an opportunity to play at the next level. Smith for one will probably be looked at by several schools. Mergen, with her size will also probably be given an opportunity. Once someone spends some time with her, she can probably contribute for some college. You also have Ray who will be starting her Jr. year. Probably the teams best pure outside shooter. If she contines to develop, I see her getting the opportunity to play college ball. As for attitudes, I agree with Jacketdad to a point, continusly losing doesnt help with a positive attitude. Those attitudes will continue until a Coach takes the bull by the horns and does something about it. Until then, it will be the same.

I think there are a few girls that will be given an opportunity to play at the next level. Smith for one will probably be looked at by several schools. Mergen, with her size will also probably be given an opportunity. Once someone spends some time with her, she can probably contribute for some college. You also have Ray who will be starting her Jr. year. Probably the teams best pure outside shooter. If she contines to develop, I see her getting the opportunity to play college ball. As for attitudes, I agree with Jacketdad to a point, continusly losing doesnt help with a positive attitude. Those attitudes will continue until a Coach takes the bull by the horns and does something about it. Until then, it will be the same.

I have read a few post on this board and I agree with some and disagree with some, even though I agree losing does not help maintain a positive attitude, but if I had a kid that acted the way some of these players act then I wouldn't wait for the coach to do something I would not be letting her play. If I would have acted like a punk during a high school game my dad would have yanked me out and not allowed me to play the next game, kingston lead the league in technical fouls because of running their mouth to the official. The way some of the players act is ridiculous and I know that falls back on the coach but parents have to take some responsibility also. As far these girls playing college ball: Not to many post players 5'9 in college. Kingston has had a lot of great girl basketball teams over the years but only a handful have played college ball, this game has evolved so much the last 15 years it 's getting harder to play at the next level.