Metal Cleats in High School

sballpop64

If you had been reading all of these posts instead of just the last one and decided to put your two cents worth in you would have seen that I have posted the fact that our high school team has lost two players due start and stop type injuries due to metal cleats. You can say what you want about them and how many injuries have happened this year compared to other years, but "METAL CLEATS INCREASE SEVERE INJURIES" thats why the trained medical professionals say they should not be used on middle and high school girls. If you question me seeing ball being played, I would have to question how much you have seen. I have coached softball for 27 years from rec to college exsposure in tournaments in almost every state in the south. I am not beating on my chest, just suggesting that you may not be the only so-called "expert" on softball. My question for TSSAA would be why do you constitute a rule that would allow something everyone would admit is "more" dangerous while not instituting rules that would make the sport more safe (i.e. double first base). Metal cleats are not optional for athletes whose coach requires the entire team to wear the same cleat. NO OTHER SANCTIONING BODY IN YOUTH SPORTS ALLOWS METAL CLEATS FOR SOFTBALL, NOT EVEN COLLEGE EXSPOSURE SANCTIONING BODIES WHERE MOST KIDS GET RECRUITED FROM. Hmmmm! I wonder why? Probably because they have studied it instead of just stating their opinion and have seen the increase in major injuries wouldn't you think. If you consdier the athlete before the sport safety will come first. Its that simple!

I didn't say I was a softball "expert" as you say you are. I will say I have coached at the college level...so I do know a little about the game. I did read the posts. I have seen quite a few high school games this year. I have not seen any injuries due to metal cleats. I have only seen one injury due to them in college. I posted about that incident earlier.

I don't think they should be required by high school coaches. I do think they should be able to be worn if a player so desires. It should be up to the player and their parents. I do think this is blown out of proportion. There have always been some of these types of injuries. The difference is we have this forum to hear about them.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, what do you expect the medical folks to say? If one kid get's stitches because of wearing metal, they see a way to eliminate that risk. Ask them what they think about the rebound factor for aluminum bats versus wooden ones or break away bases or double bases at first or mandatory face masks for all infielders. All of those would make the game safer. At what point do you make something mandatory?

Females are more likely to injure their ACL's no matter what the footgear is and it's starting and stopping type activities that injure them. If metal over rubber increased that possibility, don't wear them. I have never seen any retaliation for kids that get cleated either.

If you had been reading all of these posts instead of just the last one and decided to put your two cents worth in you would have seen that I have posted the fact that our high school team has lost two players due start and stop type injuries due to metal cleats. You can say what you want about them and how many injuries have happened this year compared to other years, but "METAL CLEATS INCREASE SEVERE INJURIES" thats why the trained medical professionals say they should not be used on middle and high school girls. If you question me seeing ball being played, I would have to question how much you have seen. I have coached softball for 27 years from rec to college exsposure in tournaments in almost every state in the south. I am not beating on my chest, just suggesting that you may not be the only so-called "expert" on softball. My question for TSSAA would be why do you constitute a rule that would allow something everyone would admit is "more" dangerous while not instituting rules that would make the sport more safe (i.e. double first base). Metal cleats are not optional for athletes whose coach requires the entire team to wear the same cleat. NO OTHER SANCTIONING BODY IN YOUTH SPORTS ALLOWS METAL CLEATS FOR SOFTBALL, NOT EVEN COLLEGE EXSPOSURE SANCTIONING BODIES WHERE MOST KIDS GET RECRUITED FROM. Hmmmm! I wonder why? Probably because they have studied it instead of just stating their opinion and have seen the increase in major injuries wouldn't you think. If you consdier the athlete before the sport safety will come first. Its that simple!

Or maybe the college exposure tournaments want to the see the players in the conditions they are used to since TSSAA just introduced metal cleats this year the players would not have been used to wearing them.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Apparently the injuries have not risen to the extent that there is an uproar. Lot's of debate when the rule changed initially. Since this thread started metal has been approved in nearly all softball associations all the way down to ASA 14U this year. This leads me to believe the risk is not quite as dramatic as many believed. I'm sure there have been injuries (and probably a number of them significant), however it must not have risen much above the past injury rate.

• 1 year later...