Metal Cleats in High School

sballpop64

This is commonly called HIGHJACKING a thread. Start another one if you're not talking about metal spikes.

Metal cleats or no metal cleats,hummmmmmm. The advantage of metal cleats are huge. As an athlete that wore them(many years ago) The grip is awesome; however injuries will increase. Twisted kness, sprained ankles, sore feet, and permenant cleat scares for short stops are the results. I really don't like this rule because who wants their 14 to 18 year old with messed up knees or ankles due to hanging a cleat or taking a cleat off the shins. If all athletes wear the same style(i.e. rubber cleats) no paticular athlete has an advantage over another. What's the gain here, a couple of more kids get thrown out tryin to steal second compared to a couple of kids with torn ACLs. Here's my quote of the year Duhhhhhh! As usual TSSAA don't care about youre kids well being(physical or educational).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea. Teach technique and shortstops and third basemen won't be getting cleated at all. Sweep tags and straddling the bag instead of blocking the bag with your leg will become part of the girl's game like it is in baseball. This is much ado about nothing. How many ACL's are torn due to low traction situations that would be improved by metal spikes? Guys have been wearing metal cleats since the game was invented. TSSAA adopted the national recommendation like most state high school associations. In about 4 years, nobody will be complaining about the girls wearing steel on the bottom of their shoes. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

Cat's injury is just the type of injury I was worried that metal cleats would cause. I hope there is no long term effects for Cat's softball career. I know some people will say this a "freak" injury but I do not believe it will be the last one caused by the use of metal cleats.

It is a freak injury...and I hope it is the last. I've also seen a separated shoulder from falling with rubber cleats.

Here's an idea. Teach technique and shortstops and third basemen won't be getting cleated at all. Sweep tags and straddling the bag instead of blocking the bag with your leg will become part of the girl's game like it is in baseball. This is much ado about nothing. How many ACL's are torn due to low traction situations that would be improved by metal spikes? Guys have been wearing metal cleats since the game was invented. TSSAA adopted the national recommendation like most state high school associations. In about 4 years, nobody will be complaining about the girls wearing steel on the bottom of their shoes. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I have not decided if this is a good idea or not. As a former Div 1 shortstop I do not advocate teaching kids sweep tags as they will miss the runner on a number of occasions. Straddle the bag and place the glove in front of the bag. The runner has to come to the bag, right? No matter the technique you will be cleated if you play enough. I have two scars from being cleated while turning two and one from the shortstop coming down on me after receiving a high throw from the catcher on a steal.

Girls, if someone is teaching you to block the bag with your legs, don't. A catcher with guards is a different story as long as she has been taught the correct way but no blocking bags, please.

I have not decided if this is a good idea or not. As a former Div 1 shortstop I do not advocate teaching kids sweep tags as they will miss the runner on a number of occasions. Straddle the bag and place the glove in front of the bag. The runner has to come to the bag, right? No matter the technique you will be cleated if you play enough. I have two scars from being cleated while turning two and one from the shortstop coming down on me after receiving a high throw from the catcher on a steal.

Girls, if someone is teaching you to block the bag with your legs, don't. A catcher with guards is a different story as long as she has been taught the correct way but no blocking bags, please.

The problem is not the cleats as much as the lack of proper technique in sliding. I was taught in both high school and college to slide on both butt muscles with the left leg under you and the right foot about four inches above the ground to tag the base not the crash the side of the base as I see many girls doing today. When I watch major college teams and Team USA, they slide by the base and grab the base, with their hand, on steals, while sliding as I mentioned above during close plays, and double plays.

I played in metal cleats starting in 8th grade though college and only hurt my ankle by nicking myself while running. (Bowed-legged, but it worked for Lou Brock) /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

My daughter had a great summer ball coach from North Georgia who started every practice with base running and sliding techniques. His team learned to run bases and slide correctly while getting into shape. If a coach is into punishment running what a great way to teach and get your point across while your players learn, unlike a Nashville area coach, who ran the whole team this weekend for one error a girl made.

This is a true statement.

The problem is not the cleats as much as the lack of proper technique in sliding. I was taught in both high school and college to slide on both butt muscles with the left leg under you and the right foot about four inches above the ground to tag the base not the crash the side of the base as I see many girls doing today. When I watch major college teams and Team USA, they slide by the base and grab the base, with their hand, on steals, while sliding as I mentioned above during close plays, and double plays.

I played in metal cleats starting in 8th grade though college and only hurt my ankle by nicking myself while running. (Bowed-legged, but it worked for Lou Brock) /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

My daughter had a great summer ball coach from North Georgia who started every practice with base running and sliding techniques. His team learned to run bases and slide correctly while getting into shape. If a coach is into punishment running what a great way to teach and get your point across while your players learn, unlike a Nashville area coach, who ran the whole team this weekend for one error a girl made.

You are right,this is the correct way to slide,for some it comes natural others can be taught this while others will never learn If done correctly the cleats will never touch the ground.

I agree with you 100% 00, we are spending quite a bit of time teaching this technique to help our infielders. There are a lot of infielders that were taught to block the bag.

I agree with you 100% 00, we are spending quite a bit of time teaching this technique to help our infielders. There are a lot of infielders that were taught to block the bag.

Here we are first of the season and already we have a tragic case of why metal cleats are not needed. Cat the young experianced pitcher has now ended her high school career , and we we are talking about technique? Come on this young lady is just the first of several serious injuries we will see due to metal cleats. Almost had another instance at Soddy when runner slid in at 3rd cleating 3rd baseman and hanging her cleat as well. Scary moment for both, fortunately both ended up returning later.